Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tax on term deposits after leaving Oz

Tax on term deposits after leaving Oz

Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:02 am
Just Joined

scraggy2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax on term deposits after leaving Oz

I'm here on a 4 year 457 visa and have just sold my house back home.

If I put money into a term deposit for 5 years and get 7% p.a. paid at the end of the period, will I be taxed on the interest if I leave Australia after year 4 to go back and live in my home country, a place where zero tax is charged on interest?

Since the interest would have been payed after I have left and no longer resident in Australia for tax purpose so dont need to declare anything, right?

What am I missing?

The 7% offered by some banks seems pretty attractive for short term zero risk...any catch?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:45 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax on term deposits after leaving Oz

Originally Posted by scraggy2007

If I put money into a term deposit for 5 years and get 7% p.a. paid at the end of the period, will I be taxed on the interest if I leave Australia after year 4 to go back and live in my home country, a place where zero tax is charged on interest?

Since the interest would have been payed after I have left and no longer resident in Australia for tax purpose so dont need to declare anything, right?

What am I missing?

The 7% offered by some banks seems pretty attractive for short term zero risk...any catch?
If you're on a 457 then you don't get taxed on income generated outside of Aus.

Just out of interest which country charges no tax on interest.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Why tie up the cash for five years to get 7% ?

You can easily get over 6% for less than a one year commitment, and 5.6% at call.

Last year I was earning over 8% on term deposits with CBA and if interest rates continue to rise, they might well be over 8% again in the foreseeable future.

Five years is a lifetime when it comes to cash investment

What am I missing?

Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:15 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. 5 years is silly in Australia. I get 5.5 on call with no dodgy promo rate at www.raboplus.com.au, which being the worlds safest bank isn't too bad an idea given the government guarantees are going to stop.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

What am I missing?

It's not clear from your post where the money will be invested.

If the bank account is outside of Australia, then as ML already said, you are never taxed on it in Australia on a 457 visa.

If the bank account is in Australia, then you need to declare the interest earned each year in your Australian tax return while you are in Australia. It does not matter that you will not be able to take the interest out of the account until after you have left.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

If the funds are invested in a five year term deposit, then the only year in which the funds earn income and tax has to be paid is the year that the term matures ?

On a term deposit, there is ( effectively ), no interest earned, unless the funds remain invested for the agreed term of the contract.

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
It's not clear from your post where the money will be invested.

If the bank account is outside of Australia, then as ML already said, you are never taxed on it in Australia on a 457 visa.

If the bank account is in Australia, then you need to declare the interest earned each year in your Australian tax return while you are in Australia. It does not matter that you will not be able to take the interest out of the account until after you have left.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I agree. 5 years is silly in Australia. I get 5.5 on call with no dodgy promo rate at www.raboplus.com.au, which being the worlds safest bank isn't too bad an idea given the government guarantees are going to stop.
What is the point of a term deposit that earns less interest than an on-call savings account? All the banks (hsbc, ing, bankwest, raboplus) offer term deposits with a lower interest rate than their savings accounts?. No really, that is a question, can someone please explain?

They are offering 6 month term deposits 1% below their savings rate, and everyone knows interest rates are going to go up, so why take out a term deposit?

JTL
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

scraggy2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the really useful replies.

Where on the ATO gov web site does it say 457 visa holders dont pay tax on overseas income? It would be great if that isn't the case !!!

Since I am living and working here, I thought they consider me as a resident for tax purpose, which is different from immigration residency status. That being the case I assumed I need to declare world wide income like any other "resident".

Btw, the country I refer to not charging tax on interest is Hong kong. There is also no VAT, no Capital gains tax, maximum 15% salary tax, lot's of air pollution, and not much space Don't get any interest right now in HKD savings accounts as its linked to USD...so looking at different options whilst I'm here.

On the other hand the FX rate for HKD (and USD) to AUD right now sucks...so I might be better off keeping it in HKD and investing in bonds or something like that over there. If I dont have to pay any tax on this investment whilst here then great !!

What makes it more confusing is i have no idea whether I'll want to stay on in Aus after 4 years or head back to HK ... ideally my savings would be in the local currency of where I end up living so I dont need to worry about crazy FX swings. Anyone got a crystal ball?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Your are resident for tax purposes but you are also a temp resident who have a different rules to perm residents.

Have a look here. http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=3&H3

Do you also know about LAFHA?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
What is the point of a term deposit that earns less interest than an on-call savings account? All the banks (hsbc, ing, bankwest, raboplus) offer term deposits with a lower interest rate than their savings accounts?. No really, that is a question, can someone please explain?

They are offering 6 month term deposits 1% below their savings rate, and everyone knows interest rates are going to go up, so why take out a term deposit?

JTL
I've noticed this from time to time. Maybe it comes down to paperwork. Probably find that money in an at call account stays in there longer than a month (when averaged out over lots of people).
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've noticed this from time to time. Maybe it comes down to paperwork. Probably find that money in an at call account stays in there longer than a month (when averaged out over lots of people).
So basically they're fishing for idiots?

"TAKE A TERM DEPOSIT AT 4.5% FOR 6 MONTHS"

"Our savings account offers 5.5%".. please ignore that

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Feb 12th 2010 at 12:44 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
So basically they're fishing for idiots?

"TAKE A TERM DEPOSIT AT 4.5% FOR 6 MONTHS"

"Our savings account offers 5.5%".. please ignore that

JTL
It does make you wonder. Why bother advertising when they are lower? At one time it may have been down to the BAD tax (love that name) but I used to see the same thing happening in the UK.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
If the funds are invested in a five year term deposit, then the only year in which the funds earn income and tax has to be paid is the year that the term matures ?

On a term deposit, there is ( effectively ), no interest earned, unless the funds remain invested for the agreed term of the contract.
Many term deposit accounts credit interest to your account each year. I have had one of these types myself. (If you had some kind of cash emergency and withdrew your money, then you would of course lose the interest.) When the account matures, you then get your hands on the capital plus the interest.

With this type of set-up, for tax purposes you are liable to tax on interest as it accrues. So, each year as your account is credited with the interest (which you can see on the statement), you pay tax on that interest.

Of course if you have an account where they literally only credit the interest to the account on the last day of the fixed term, then you pay tax on all of it in that tax year.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are quite right, I quite forgot the possibility of interim interest payments

I only use term deposits that pay on maturity in order to get the best return on investment.

If you choose to have your interest paid in 'installments', before the deposit has matured, then surely you will lose the 'compounding' effect of having the interest added to the capital and receive a lower rate of interest.

Does this not defeat the object of quarantining your capital for a fixed term ??

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Many term deposit accounts credit interest to your account each year. I have had one of these types myself. (If you had some kind of cash emergency and withdrew your money, then you would of course lose the interest.) When the account matures, you then get your hands on the capital plus the interest.

With this type of set-up, for tax purposes you are liable to tax on interest as it accrues. So, each year as your account is credited with the interest (which you can see on the statement), you pay tax on that interest.

Of course if you have an account where they literally only credit the interest to the account on the last day of the fixed term, then you pay tax on all of it in that tax year.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hino
You are quite right, I quite forgot the possibility of interim interest payments

I only use term deposits that pay on maturity in order to get the best return on investment.

If you choose to have your interest paid in 'installments', before the deposit has matured, then surely you will lose the 'compounding' effect of having the interest added to the capital and receive a lower rate of interest.

Does this not defeat the object of quarantining your capital for a fixed term ??
Not entirely. You may want to spread the income over several tax years.