British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Tax Question - Gift (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/tax-question-gift-802885/)

macy Jul 15th 2013 6:52 am

Tax Question - Gift

Hello,

Boring I know but I was wondering if anyone could advise on this tax question, my parents gave us $10k back in December 2012 and now it's tax time I am wondering if we will have to pay tax on this gift...... the money went straight into our normal current account.

renth Jul 15th 2013 7:02 am

Re: Tax Question - Gift

Originally Posted by macy (Post 10800471)
Hello,

Boring I know but I was wondering if anyone could advise on this tax question, my parents gave us $10k back in December 2012 and now it's tax time I am wondering if we will have to pay tax on this gift...... the money went straight into our normal current account.

Don't think so. If they gift you cash on a regular basis that you use to live on then yes but a one off cash gift my understanding is no tax payable. You ought to call the ATO and conform that though.

Mike at Taree Jul 15th 2013 7:30 am

It's not earned income and they probably paid their tax on it anyway. SWMBO got 60k in her auntie's will and that wasn't taxable. None of their business.

The Bloke Jul 15th 2013 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by macy (Post 10800471)
Hello,

Tax to be paid only on the interest on your account (if interest is paid on the account) - as per normal (the rest is, like Mike said, none of their business).

commonwealth Jul 15th 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah its like winning lotto. Non taxable.

carolinephillips Jul 15th 2013 9:15 pm

Yippee! About to get a chunk from the UK from the sale of Dad's house.

Mike at Taree Jul 16th 2013 12:18 am

With the current low interest rates even for Centrelink "deeming" purposes you'd need hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn enough interest to take your income out of the "free" zone.

macy Jul 17th 2013 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree (Post 10801900)
With the current low interest rates even for Centrelink "deeming" purposes you'd need hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn enough interest to take your income out of the "free" zone.

I must admit we spent it so fast there was no chance of interest being earned! Thanks for all the replies, I thought it was the case but thought I had better confirm.