tasty sausages!

Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:26 am
Just Joined

PoshPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tasty sausages!

now i know i need to get into the aussie way of life and give up on hankering for english goodies but sausages??

i know when my marmite runs out, veggiemite will do. have found great gravy granuales, no need for bisto. have even found pretty good choc ( my sister use to moan about it all the time) so all is well there

but...sausages! where and wot brand can i buy that tastes vaugely like english ones. dont want to go to an 'english shop', quite happy to shop in coles or woolies but had coles bog standard pork sausages and

tasted foul and stank out my fridge and freezer! just the thought while writing makes me want to vomit. please help but no rude comments...and yes, have read enough on this site to know they will be some!!

ps. not ones for barbie, was cold and wet and in need of comfort food the other day, hence sausage and mash!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:57 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tasty sausages!

Originally Posted by PoshPom
now i know i need to get into the aussie way of life and give up on hankering for english goodies but sausages??

i know when my marmite runs out, veggiemite will do. have found great gravy granuales, no need for bisto. have even found pretty good choc ( my sister use to moan about it all the time) so all is well there

but...sausages! where and wot brand can i buy that tastes vaugely like english ones. dont want to go to an 'english shop', quite happy to shop in coles or woolies but had coles bog standard pork sausages and

tasted foul and stank out my fridge and freezer! just the thought while writing makes me want to vomit. please help but no rude comments...and yes, have read enough on this site to know they will be some!!

ps. not ones for barbie, was cold and wet and in need of comfort food the other day, hence sausage and mash!

Hi there

I buy Cumberland sausages by the English Sausage Co from Woolies, Coles and the IGA. They do other varieties.

Shirley
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

A user on here called Wenz makes great sausages (traditional English, cumberland, pork and leek etc), cornish pasties and pork pies. He hasn't posted on the forum for a while but you can always email or PM him to see if he sells his products at any shops/markets near you. He lives in the Gold Coast if that helps.

We get Wensley's sausages and pasties regularly at one of the British shops near by and they are sold out nearly every week.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I buy the English variety from Wollies too - they aren't the same but near enough. I don't like Aussie beef ones, but I do like the pork chipolata ones from Woolies - maybe give them a go see what you think?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:14 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

just get a bloody mincer and make your own!!

it's not difficult.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:27 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Hi there

I buy Cumberland sausages by the English Sausage Co from Woolies, Coles and the IGA. They do other varieties.

Shirley

Sorry it's not English but British Sausage Co, they do bacon too.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Cheese Kranskys!! - i eat 30 a day, luv'em!! (butcher does me a right good deal on'em!)
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Proper butcher. Not a supermarket.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:08 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Try one of the meat factories, theres a good one at Burleigh they do a great pork and parsley sausage thats yummy. C x
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
just get a bloody mincer and make your own!!

it's not difficult.
It's not difficult but it's very time-consuming, especially at the start, trying to get the consistency and flavouring right. I've done it a few times but always need another person to help stuffing. Actually it's quite fun to do and sometime hilarious with all the possible rude jokes...

I had a hard time trying to get sausage skin from the butcher though. Not many of them sell the stuff because they want you to buy sausages from them.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

You'll be lucky to find a decent sausage here, they're gopping

Last edited by Nu-Shooz; Apr 15th 2008 at 4:53 am.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:38 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

As Shirley mentioned the british sausage company ones (Cumberland variety) are the best if you can only do supermarkets.
If your in Perth the best butchers pork sausages ive found are from the Boatshed in Cott. (thick pork sausages I think there called) the bacon is also very good from there, both would be on a par with decent UK sausages.

Next best snags (and the best pies around) would have to be Peters Butchers in Claremont (one in Floreat Forum as well but not quite as good a range)
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the traditional BBQ variety from "North Star" butchers in the Currambine Marketplace ...

Deeelish on the chargrill & my missus tell's me the guys throwing their pork around at the back of the shop are pretty pleasing on the eye too

Phnaar Phnaar ...

Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:30 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

The safeway luxury range ones are not bad at all-they do normal pork, beef & cracked pepper and lamb-worth a try!