Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Talk of Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Talk of Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:23 am
HAS FOUND CLOSURE

Richie Redlands has a spectacular aura aboutRichie Redlands has a spectacular aura aboutRichie Redlands has a spectacular aura about
Post Talk of Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Ok its NIMBY but what if we had Ground Zero here ? I would be interested to know if you would give it the go ahead or not and why?
President Obama reckons its OK. Its 2 blocks away from Ground Zero so why the uproar?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk of Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Originally Posted by Richie Redlands
Ok its NIMBY but what if we had Ground Zero here ? I would be interested to know if you would give it the go ahead or not and why?
President Obama reckons its OK. Its 2 blocks away from Ground Zero so why the uproar?
I don't see the problem to be honest. The majority of Muslims are not extremists who think that everyone else should be terrorised for not sharing their faith and they shouldn't be vicitimised because of the actions of others.

It's like saying no Catholic or Protestants churches in Northern Ireland due to the trouble the religions have caused over there... actually there's an idea!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Its two blocks away. Not on the actual site or right next to it. How large do they want the exclusion zone to be??
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for it. They should start building it right after the first Christian church in Mecca is completed.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:42 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RenShen
Its two blocks away. Not on the actual site or right next to it. How large do they want the exclusion zone to be??
" its two blocks way so its OK" l wonder if American Christains would be allowed to build a church 2 blocks from Mecca. If they even mentioned the idea their lives would be in danger.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 31st 2010 at 8:44 am.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:13 am
HAS FOUND CLOSURE

Richie Redlands has a spectacular aura aboutRichie Redlands has a spectacular aura aboutRichie Redlands has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm all for it. They should start building it right after the first Christian church in Mecca is completed.
sounds like a plan...What an opportunity for the US President. In reality its a non starter.

Originally Posted by mohogony
" its two blocks way so its OK" l wonder if American Christains would be allowed to build a church 2 blocks from Mecca. If they even mentioned the idea their lives would be in danger.
so you reckon that is the main reason for not wanting a Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Last edited by Richie Redlands; Aug 31st 2010 at 9:20 am. Reason: Missing wordies
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:31 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Muslims, Christians, atheists and many others died on 911. I would hope the site would be a reminder of what religious intolerance and fundamentalism can do. The USA is a free country and the myriad of religions allowed to openly worship is one of the benefits of that freedom denied elsewhere. Is New York better for allowing a place of worship for moderate Islam or denying what other New Yorkers are entitled to. I believe that western society is giving a mighty up yours to extremists by allowing a form of worship that al Qaida would abhor as too close to the "infidels". Denying the mosque would only strengthen the hand of those painting the west as the enemy of muslims.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:35 am
Account Closed

sounds like a plan...What an opportunity for the US President. In reality its a non starter.
Indeed it is. Saudi Arabia, the 'home' of Islam, bans all other religions.

If I had lost people close to me at the Twin Towers then I would be furious at the idea of a mosque near the site. The Muslims proposing the site and Obama for supporting the idea show a startling lack of sensitivity to the issues involved.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't get the problem. They're not trying to build it on Ground Zero, that's going to be some nonsensical building that means nothing. Muslims died in 9/11, they weren't exempt from the horror and 99.9% of Muslims are peace loving non terrorist humans. If it's so wrong why are Muslims allowed to even walk past or work in a 10 mile radius of Ground Zero? Leave them alone, get facts straight and prove to the nut cases who want to blow the infidels up that the West isn't an evil being who want to destroy all of Islam.

That sounded quite intelligent for me, considering my current mood.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of other mosques in New York. The only reason this one is being proposed so close to Ground Zero is as a symbol of triumph. Anyone that doesn't understand this should do some background reading on the true nature of islam.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NedKelly
There are plenty of other mosques in New York.
Over a hundred.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:57 am
HAS FOUND CLOSURE

Originally Posted by IvanM
Muslims, Christians, atheists and many others died on 911. I would hope the site would be a reminder of what religious intolerance and fundamentalism can do. The USA is a free country and the myriad of religions allowed to openly worship is one of the benefits of that freedom denied elsewhere. Is New York better for allowing a place of worship for moderate Islam or denying what other New Yorkers are entitled to. I believe that western society is giving a mighty up yours to extremists by allowing a form of worship that al Qaida would abhor as too close to the "infidels". Denying the mosque would only strengthen the hand of those painting the west as the enemy of muslims.
I do believe you have a valid reason why the NY's and Americans should give it the thumbs up. Let the world religions know that America is a tolerant and supportive to reunite all cultures and creeds.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:59 am
HAS FOUND CLOSURE

Over a hundred.
Plus 1 two blocks away from Ground Zero. More the merrier
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:02 am
HAS FOUND CLOSURE

Indeed it is. Saudi Arabia, the 'home' of Islam, bans all other religions.

If I had lost people close to me at the Twin Towers then I would be furious at the idea of a mosque near the site. The Muslims proposing the site and Obama for supporting the idea show a startling lack of sensitivity to the issues involved.
well, being two blocks away, isn't that enough distance to show respect for the souls that perished?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:05 am
Account Closed

I do believe you have a valid reason why the NY's and Americans should give it the thumbs up. Let the world religions know that America is a tolerant and supportive to reunite all cultures and creeds.
How about a Japanese Shinto temple being built next to the Arizona in 1950?. Would that have helped "reunite all cultures and creeds" as well?
It's provocative and designed to do anything BUT "reunite all cultures and creeds"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.