Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

taking old cat to oz

taking old cat to oz

Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default taking old cat to oz

have you taken an old cat to oz???
how was it????

did you bring it back to the uk?????

how old was it??????
we have an 11yr old cat and we dont know what to do with her,as we are going on 457 visa if we dont get pr after the 2 yrs is up then we will have to leave her in oz. as we have been told that they wont fly cats over the age of 13.

any help???????
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: taking old cat to oz

Didn't know about the age rule, but we had decided not to take our (14 year old) beautiful jasmine.

From what I have gathered cats aren't well liked in Oz (killing wildlife etc) and you can even be fined for letting them trespass on neighbours gardens etc. Have been told that you really need to keep them as house cats or build a run.

All in all had already decided that together with the flight/heat/bugs etc that it would not be kind to take her. It's breaking my heart but she's going to a good home.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, I see plenty of cats about. A danger to wildlife ? - try the dogs who eat koalas, humans who happily peform an emergency stop to reverse over the cane toad, the culling of kangaroos by the thousands, dingo hunting. Your cat I dont believe will impact on the ecosystem quite too badly.

I dont think the age of animal should be an issue, its more a case of health. If you have any animal of ailing health then undergoing migration and quarantine probably isnt that good, but for any animal thats in good health no matter the age I really dont see the problem.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

the prob that we have is if we dont get pr in 3 yrs then we either have to leave cat out there or we risk bringing her home and the 6 months in quarantine . cat healthy at the mo and we are going to do the mircochipping etc just dont know what to do
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, our cat is getting on in years and we are looking to go abroad to live, our Vet said that as she is old it would be unfair on her as she would not have natural immunity to the new bugs that she would come across. Know how you feel but we shall have to find a new home for her
regards
Tony P
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
the prob that we have is if we dont get pr in 3 yrs then we either have to leave cat out there or we risk bringing her home and the 6 months in quarantine . cat healthy at the mo and we are going to do the mircochipping etc just dont know what to do
Don't know if it's the same with cats as dogs, but if you get them vaccinated against rabies and then get pet passports then you can bring them back to UK with no quarantine.
Thats what we're doing with our dogs (don't intend to come back, but it's a 'just in case')

Olias
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Olias
Didn't know about the age rule, but we had decided not to take our (14 year old) beautiful jasmine.

From what I have gathered cats aren't well liked in Oz (killing wildlife etc) and you can even be fined for letting them trespass on neighbours gardens etc. Have been told that you really need to keep them as house cats or build a run.

All in all had already decided that together with the flight/heat/bugs etc that it would not be kind to take her. It's breaking my heart but she's going to a good home.
Olias, please take your cat with you if you can! What youve heard is somewhat true but has been exaggerated, honestly. I'm a cat lover (Ive got 3) and my cats love roaming around in the garden and even walk down the street. No-one has ever threatened me re that law you mentioned- Ive never even heard of it (I'm in Q). Honestly mate, you dont really have to worry about it.

There are people here with strong opinions re the wildlife but there is a solution to that - ignore them and try to do the right thing by your cat and the wildlife - you and your cat will adapt! (And be prepared to rescue a few lizards at times etc). No need to keep your cat indoors 24/7. If you are a fairly responsible person then you can try to minimise wildlife loss, prevent additional kitten litters etc.

Anyways, if anyone says to you that they hate cats because they eat birds etc say "Would you eat a hamburger if it was put in your own backyard?", or "yes, unlike humans, who just line up animals one after the other in a factory conveyor belt and shoot 'em".

I bet they also dont know that feral cats were actually here prior to English invasion?
They were actually a valued food source for certain aboriginal tribes. That's a fact that is largely unknown to many Aussies. There is also evidence to suggest that these cats had very little impact on wildlife populations. Humans and their actions in comparison, have caused by far the most damage to wildlife populations.

PLEASE RECONSIDER!

Last edited by Vegemite; Jun 20th 2007 at 4:44 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Vegemite,

you've given me plenty to consider

don't know what to do now guess I've got some thinking to do (thought I had it all sorted and had come to terms - you've gone and complicated things now!!! - In a good way though!)

Thanks again for replying

Olias
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Olias, feel for for you, am in exactly the same boat! If you know your feline friend is going to have a good and loving home here then stick with it. Be interested to see what you decide all the best. Emma ( black cat)
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice

i am also in this dilema. i 100% want to take my two who will be nearly 13 when(if) we go. we are also not planning on going permanently, just for min 12 m a max of maybe 3 yrs so will defo have to bring them back again. pet passport is the answer for no quarantine. i too have reservations for my boys, not sure how they will adapt etc, also - yes it is expensive. prob around 3-4.5 grand there and back again. but they are part of my life and i would be SO miserable without them. i just dont think i could leave them. i keep joking with my OH that i wish they could become human for a couple of days - then he reminded me we would have to get visas for them. not sure what is more stressful!!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black cat
Olias, feel for for you, am in exactly the same boat! If you know your feline friend is going to have a good and loving home here then stick with it. Be interested to see what you decide all the best. Emma ( black cat)
Thanks Emma,

think I'lljust bury my head in the sand a bit and delay the decision till later
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

O,

Good luck with your decision. Take your time if you've got it, but not too much. Sorry to throw a spanner in the works for you - its just that you said your heart was breaking and so I wanted to reassure you that things are not as bad as what you have heard...therefore no need to make a decision based on the reasons you mentioned.

You obviously want what is best for your baby! I think the biggest thing is quarantine time, health and stress of the journey etc. There are some very reputable travel pet companies though who seem to go an extra mile. It's worthwhile making an informed decision. If you decide that she/he stays in England then at least she/he will be going to a loving home like you said.

As a cat lover who is living overseas at the moment myself, I understand your dilemma! All the best.

V
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, that means a lot

Olias
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

i think i am going to take my cat with me , i have had her since her birth at 3.15pm on the 4th april 1996.

i had and lost hitch's mum&uncle in the last 18 months. and i always said that i would have them till they died.... so thats it..... she is coming with us
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
i think i am going to take my cat with me , i have had her since her birth at 3.15pm on the 4th april 1996.

i had and lost hitch's mum&uncle in the last 18 months. and i always said that i would have them till they died.... so thats it..... she is coming with us

Airpets has just emailed me to say there is no upper age limit of dogs that can fly only that they must be a minimum of 12 weeks and that they are fit and healthy, so can only assume it applies to cats as well One of my old boys is nearly 14 and not in the best of health, we have until 2010 until we have to go, so we'll wait until anything happens to him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.