Reload this Page >

Taking my music to australia

Wikiposts

Taking my music to australia

Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:15 am
Just Joined

bncad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my music to australia

Hi I should be going over to Australia in may and I have hundreds of vinyls whihc I will obviously not be takin because it will cost a fortune to take all the boxes over, I have songs on copied disks in my cd folder that I have bought from itunes so these arent a problem as I will just print out all of the receipts, however I am now in the process of copying my vinyl to take with me but am wondering if they will take these off me at customs. I have been collecting the vinyl since i was about 11 and dont have the receipts but obvviously have all of the origional vinyls, maybe I could take a photo of me and all my vinyl to prove that they are copies of my origionals and not illegal downloads.

The cd folder will be in my carry on luggage so there is a high poss that they will check it anyone had any similar experience or any advice on how to go about doing this.

Regards
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:43 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all
Default Re: Taking my music to australia

I am assuming this is a serious post... If you are bringing them on as carry on luggage, how many cds are you talking about? i.e if tis a few folders containing about 100 or so cds, customs wont give a hoot.

As regards receipts etc, they wont give a hoot, copied or not, why should they.
You could put all your music on a portable hard drive, much easier.

Hope this helps....rock'n'roll
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:51 am
Just Joined

bncad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thnks for your reply.

Yer this is a serious post my cd folder contains 160 cds alot are original promo disks from ministry of sound as i am on their promo list, others originals and the rest are copies of my vinyl and itunes downloads !

I was thinking of takin my hardrive but I am a webdesigner and alot of my data is on there so if I lost or damaged it id be lost !

Hope your right on this one cos its pecking my head.

Any more for any more ROCK ON
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:27 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bncad
Thnks for your reply.

Yer this is a serious post my cd folder contains 160 cds alot are original promo disks from ministry of sound as i am on their promo list, others originals and the rest are copies of my vinyl and itunes downloads !

I was thinking of takin my hardrive but I am a webdesigner and alot of my data is on there so if I lost or damaged it id be lost !

Hope your right on this one cos its pecking my head.

Any more for any more ROCK ON
Have you traveled by an aeroplane before overseas?

Seriously, customs are interested in you not declaring duty on importing goods, stopping controlled items - including drugs and in the case of Australia foodstuffs and items which threaten our environment.

Nobody cares about a hard drive, CDs or whatever. Most people travel with laptops and drives and nobody cares about what data you have. Enjoy your flight and stop worrying about it
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all our vinyl and CDs and tapes over in our container with no issues.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bncad
Hi I should be going over to Australia in may and I have hundreds of vinyls whihc I will obviously not be takin because it will cost a fortune to take all the boxes over, I have songs on copied disks in my cd folder that I have bought from itunes so these arent a problem as I will just print out all of the receipts, however I am now in the process of copying my vinyl to take with me but am wondering if they will take these off me at customs. I have been collecting the vinyl since i was about 11 and dont have the receipts but obvviously have all of the origional vinyls, maybe I could take a photo of me and all my vinyl to prove that they are copies of my origionals and not illegal downloads.

The cd folder will be in my carry on luggage so there is a high poss that they will check it anyone had any similar experience or any advice on how to go about doing this.

Regards
That sounds like a great idea . . .

Post the photos on here.

Make sure you get the photos of your good self and the vinyl certified by a JP . . . and possibly countersigned by a lawyer (solicitor) . . . JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:15 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We brought all our vinyl and CDs and tapes over in our container with no issues.
Tapes?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Tapes?
Mastertape is still the "truest" way of storing analogue music and craps all over the so called latest technology.

Bit surprised at the OPosters views on Customs though.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone being pulled up anywhere for importing music or film on media ? Surely Flac or similar on two Harddrives is the way to go if one has to use digital media.

Bringing the Vinyl along should be a sound financial investment, some of those would be worth a lot more than you would think. People with true Hi Fi systems and pay over 10,000 Aud for valve amps and Turntables are always after decent records.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 27th 2009 at 1:09 am.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:28 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Bringing the Vinyl along should be a sound financial investment, some of those would be worth a lot more than you would think. People with true Hi Fi systems and pay over 10,000 Aud for valve amps and Turntables are always after decent records.
I knew it was a good idea to keep the Rick Astley LP my auntie bought me all those years ago (and which is still unopened in its cellophane wrap)

Reckon it'll be worth millions now.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:42 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I knew it was a good idea to keep the Rick Astley LP my auntie bought me all those years ago (and which is still unopened in its cellophane wrap)

Reckon it'll be worth millions now.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tapes?
Excuse me! I did throw out the eight tracks although I know I should have kept them
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:58 pm

Excuse me! I did throw out the eight tracks although I know I should have kept them
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Thank god for that. I was expecting the reply to be 'what's an eight track?'
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:00 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that it is not that much of a preposterous thought. I had a mate who went over to China for a week. In the process he bought a sh!t load of pirated movies back with him. he made sure that he put them in a CD folder, without the boxes and he got them confiscated by customs when re-entering Brisbane airport.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:01 pm

Thank god for that. I was expecting the reply to be 'what's an eight track?'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.