Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tailgating!!! What is the point?

Tailgating!!! What is the point?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tailgating!!! What is the point?

Originally Posted by harrip
UNLESS OVERTAKING KEEP LEFT does not mean sit in the middle lane on the freeway, it means get in the left lane unless frigging overtaking. How many times a see a car just sat in the middle lane with no other traffic anywhere near astounds me.
The problem with that, is the rules in Australia are different to the UK rules:

Here in QLD it states:
When the speed limit is 90 km/h or more on multi-lane roads you must keep the right lane free, unless you are:
overtaking, turning right, making a U-turn, avoiding an obstacle or driving in congested traffic.

This rule also applies if there is a KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING sign.
Therefore, sticking in the middle lane, is actually correct, at least in QLD and NSW, and I think maybe other States also.

It may seem very odd to the British, who were taught to keep in the Left LANE, unless overtaking.

Slightly different wording, with different meaning.

On the under 90kph roads in QLD, it doesn't apply anyway, so you can use any lane you like, and not break any laws.

Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Yep. I saw that one the other day (although it didn't work).
Are you sure it didn't work? I think they are set not to show anything if you are going too far above the speed limit.

Probably to stop hoons getting a photo of themselves at 200kmh!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burbage
I drove from Cairns to the Gold Coast and back at exactly the speed limit, as I always do, and I was the slowest vehicle on the road. Of course you could say that because I was going at a certain speed then I didn't encounter others who were going at the speed limit. On the other hand, I think I overtook a slower car only a couple of times, and if the volume of traffic coming the other way was similr to the volume going my way then yes, I'd say eeryone was breaking the speed limit. I saw quite a few of them pulled in too. One idiot in a merc 4x4 suddenly appeared behind me between a couple of checks in my mirror and was doing the tailgate job on me. Next thing he knew was blue and red flashy lights behind him. Hahahahaha.

Saw one accident too, which wasn't as funny, but was almost certainly caused by excessive speed.

Trouble with the Bruce Highway is that it's single carriageway most fot he way and there are a lot of impatient drivers out there. I pulled over a couple of times to let the dangerous drivers pass me. It's better to have in idiot in front of you where you can see him/her.

I agree though that with local traffic there's not as much speeding as you'd see in the UK. The thing that gets me is that if they can travel exactly at a 110kmh or 115kmh, why can't they travel at 100kmh? Just not able to do it, I guess.
As I said, it's a state difference.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Are you sure it didn't work? I think they are set not to show anything if you are going too far above the speed limit.

Probably to stop hoons getting a photo of themselves at 200kmh!
Yeah! 117 is the max it'll report. I should have been going 110. It did work for some car further ahead, so if I can work out why it didn't work for me I can maybe use the 2nd half of my speedo
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:56 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The problem with that, is the rules in Australia are different to the UK rules:

Here in QLD it states:

Therefore, sticking in the middle lane, is actually correct, at least in QLD and NSW, and I think maybe other States also.

It may seem very odd to the British, who were taught to keep in the Left LANE, unless overtaking.

Slightly different wording, with different meaning.

On the under 90kph roads in QLD, it doesn't apply anyway, so you can use any lane you like, and not break any laws.
Oh for heavens sake:

NSW Road Users Handbook, Page 115 (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...educa_dl1.html)

Once on the motorway, stay in the left lane unless overtaking.
If there are three lanes and the left lane has many vehicles travelling at a slower speed than you,stay in the middle lane. After you have passed them, you should return to the left lane. The right lane is generally reserved for overtaking so move out of it as soon as it is safe to do so.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the biggest reasons for tail gating is simply because drivers here (and the UK for that matter) fail to understand the sign that reads UNLESS OVERTAKING KEEP LEFT.

UNLESS OVERTAKING KEEP LEFT does not mean sit in the middle lane on the freeway, it means get in the left lane unless frigging overtaking. How many times a see a car just sat in the middle lane with no other traffic anywhere near astounds me.

Now I personally do not tail gate, recognising its dangers, however, if there is a car sat in the middle lane, I will pull out from the left lane to the right lane then over take before pulling back into the far left lane. A dramatic procedure compared to having to just over take one lane if they were in the right lane in the first place. Other drivers are possibly more frustrated and decide to sit up the car's rear in the hope they can educate the driver to pull over into the correct lane - something that rarely happens.
On a deserted three-laner then yes: one keeps to the left hand lane.

However, what on earth is the sense - rules or not - of someone who is doing the limit or slightly over not occupying the centre lane? They are not stopping anyone from overtaking.

Tailgating is probably the worst problem on the roads here. If one leaves two to three seconds between you and the car in front it is rare than you are able to drive for long in the left lane and, if doing the speed limit I don't consider it my duty to pull over into an inadequate space in order to allow a tailgater to break the limit. Note - this is not implying that I consider it my right to make him slow down TO the limit. It merely means that I don't think he has any right to force me to drive less safely.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Oh for heavens sake:

NSW Road Users Handbook, Page 115 (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...educa_dl1.html)

Once on the motorway, stay in the left lane unless overtaking.
If there are three lanes and the left lane has many vehicles travelling at a slower speed than you,stay in the middle lane. After you have passed them, you should return to the left lane. The right lane is generally reserved for overtaking so move out of it as soon as it is safe to do so.
What do you mean "Oh for Heavens sake" ? are things that bad ?

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fr...AND%20No%3D179

states "The driver must not drive in the right lane unless: etc etc"

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...eft_overtaking

states: "When the speed limit is 90 km/h or more on multi-lane roads you must keep the right lane free, unless you are etc etc"

Note: The "NSW Road Users Handbook" is not LAW, but the NSW legislation website is. That book says: "should return to the left lane. " It does not say MUST, and the Legislation does not either.

As my post said, I am stating what the LAW says, and why people tend to drive like that, because they are NOT actually breaking any laws by doing so.

Personally I feel they should move over to the left lane, but the Australian argument that I hear, is that they do not need to, as their law does not say they have to.

Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Dairymilk04 will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure what the rules are here for learners drivers, but i am wondering if one of the reasons for all this bad driving is the lack of "proper" driving school/instructors?
I have been in Cairns for 10 months and in that time have only seen 2 "driving school" cars.
If the majority of learner drivers are being taught off parents, friends etc, then this would surely mean bad driving habits are passed down from one generation to the next and will continue doing so.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:01 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dairymilk04
I'm not sure what the rules are here for learners drivers, but i am wondering if one of the reasons for all this bad driving is the lack of "proper" driving school/instructors?
I have been in Cairns for 10 months and in that time have only seen 2 "driving school" cars.
If the majority of learner drivers are being taught off parents, friends etc, then this would surely mean bad driving habits are passed down from one generation to the next and will continue doing so.
I've found that the left lane usually moves faster since everyone seems to be in the middle lane.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dairymilk04
I was passed the other day by a huge 4WD with an L plate on the back doing 90 in a 70 zone.

There appeared to be a teenage kid at the wheel and a bloke about 50 years old in the passenger seat.

I think bad driving is endemic. Many know no different.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tictac
I was passed the other day by a huge 4WD with an L plate on the back doing 90 in a 70 zone.

There appeared to be a teenage kid at the wheel and a bloke about 50 years old in the passenger seat.

I think bad driving is endemic. Many know no different.
Exactly, examples like this seem to be pretty common here. But i guess with car insurance being so cheap (compared to the UK at least) this encourages young kids with little experience to get behind the wheel of a huge engined car.
But i agree with you and think bad driving is very deeply rooted here.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Burbage
I've found that the left lane usually moves faster since everyone seems to be in the middle lane.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:26 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Personally I feel they should move over to the left lane, but the Australian argument that I hear, is that they do not need to, as their law does not say they have to.
If there are three lanes on a UK road, then common sense (and the law) dictate that unless overtaking, the left hand lane is the appropriate place to be.

If there are three lanes on an Australian road however, common sense is far less clear-cut. With the left lane frequently disappearing and reappearing thanks to the crazy design of doing lane merges on the left side rather than right, perhaps theres a case to be made saying that staying the in the middle of three is safer (less likely to suddently find yourself running out of road and needing a RAPID lane change to stay on the road?). Perhaps all these legendary tailgaters are all so confused about which lanes are going to continue to exist in in the next km or so along the road they figure its best to follow someone else and let them pick a path through all the lane merges?!

(For the record I dont think tailgating is necessarily any worse here in SE Qld than UK and I think Aus drivers tend to be a lot more obediant in speeding terms than the UK - but lane discipline **is** terrible, road layouts **are* terrible and dangerous vehicles are FAR more common).
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:33 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
If there are three lanes on a UK road, then common sense (and the law) dictate that unless overtaking, the left hand lane is the appropriate place to be.

If there are three lanes on an Australian road however, common sense is far less clear-cut. With the left lane frequently disappearing and reappearing thanks to the crazy design of doing lane merges on the left side rather than right, perhaps theres a case to be made saying that staying the in the middle of three is safer (less likely to suddently find yourself running out of road and needing a RAPID lane change to stay on the road?). Perhaps all these legendary tailgaters are all so confused about which lanes are going to continue to exist in in the next km or so along the road they figure its best to follow someone else and let them pick a path through all the lane merges?!

(For the record I dont think tailgating is necessarily any worse here in SE Qld than UK and I think Aus drivers tend to be a lot more obediant in speeding terms than the UK - but lane discipline **is** terrible, road layouts **are* terrible and dangerous vehicles are FAR more common).
SEriously though, the left lane is the safest if you value your life in Australian driving conditions. It, at least, has the bail-out of the hard shoulder, so you have an escape route when the inevitable pile-up occurs.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mil
One of the first things I realised when I arrived in Australia was the horrendous amount of tailgating that goes on. Not just 'white van man' or 'sales rep' like in England, but people of any age or sex. Thought I had gotten used to it, and started to accept that that is just how people drive here but an episode the other day really aggravated me. I left work after my afternoon shift and was driving home on the Sunshine Motorway at about 10.15pm. I set off cruising along on the nice, quiet road doing the speed limit. All was well until some clown decided he would drive hanging off my bumper for the whole duration:curse:. What made it worse was the road was so quiet, he/she had ample opportunity to overtake, but insisted on tailgating instead. What is the point? If you want to go faster than the speed limit, just bloody overtake and leave the rest of us alone!! Is it any wonder why the death toll on the Sunshine Coast roads is so high. Rant over, feel better getting that off my chest.

I know. It's terrible in Sydney and so dangerous. I just don't get it. Especially as we have a baby.
What also annoys me is when someone wants to get into your lane and instead of getting in your lane behind you where there is plenty of space and no other cars they want to squeeze infront of you between you and another car! I get so annoyed with it and haven't got used to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.