Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tailgaiting Question

Wikiposts

Tailgaiting Question

Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:07 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tailgaiting Question

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think you're right about the cruise control. Wouldn't necessarily agree with automatic point though. I had a rental for a few weeks that had cruise control and hated it. Couldn't get the hang of letting the car have the control (that's how it felt). Wouldn't use it and thankfully I don't have it on my car now. If I'm driving, I'm in control which includes the speed and distance between me and the car in front.
Cruise control is great on a relatatively uncongested mostly straight multi-lane highway . Elsewhere its plain dangerous .
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think you're right about the cruise control. Wouldn't necessarily agree with automatic point though. I had a rental for a few weeks that had cruise control and hated it. Couldn't get the hang of letting the car have the control (that's how it felt). Wouldn't use it and thankfully I don't have it on my car now. If I'm driving, I'm in control which includes the speed and distance between me and the car in front.
Just easier to cruise at a constant speed in an auto thanit is in a manual (won't change down).
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:41 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by itigo
I always found in my manual (don't know if it works with automatic but can't see why not) a very gentle tap on the brake while t'other foot is still on the accelerator does the trick - just enough to flick the brake lights - scares the bejeebers out of whoever is behind you.

Taught by my parents. That way, if they are slow to react, you are still moving forwards at the same rate and not going to get them joining you on the back seat!
I used to do this, when I got stressed by tailgaters, but all it does is make them angry (and in turn stressed me out too). Now I just ease my foot off the accelerator and let them overtake. If they don't overtake I just keep slowing down to a stop. They get the message eventually, without any aggro. As they pass I give them a cheery wave and that "I don't know what day it is, let alone what I'm doing" vacant loon smile.

Also if someone beeps me impatiently at traffic lights, I pretend I'm having trouble finding 1st gear, and then go real slow......

Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I drove alot whilst in Oz recently,and found it a bloody joy!Seriously found it alot more relaxing driving in Oz than the UK!Roads were in brilliant condition too which made a nice change!Did'nt notice anyone tail gating me though.(maybe I was driving too fast )
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

People like to be together that is why, driving on the Hume Freeway notice that there may be just two or three cars there but they are together. Not me I like my space mind you I am a lead food and have paid the price many times.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:46 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
People like to be together that is why, driving on the Hume Freeway notice that there may be just two or three cars there but they are together. Not me I like my space mind you I am a lead food and have paid the price many times.
If they can't keep a safe distance appropriate to the speed then I do it for them. If they are 5m behind we go at 10kmph.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:48 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Burbage
If they can't keep a safe distance appropriate to the speed then I do it for them. If they are 5m behind we go at 10kmph.
Yep

Only a fool breaks the two second rule

Dougie
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:00 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
funny how they like to be together, nice and close when they are on the roads and it is nice and safe, yet insist on queuing 10 metres behind each other at an ATM and taking up the whole street!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of tailgaters do it to block their front rego plates from the prying lens of a speed camera. What you do is find a car that is speeding, sit behind it and if a camera takes a pic, it is the car in front that is caught on camera and not yours. Works best with a truck in front.

The cameras in Oz take pics of the front of the car.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:34 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
A lot of tailgaters do it to block their front rego plates from the prying lens of a speed camera. What you do is find a car that is speeding, sit behind it and if a camera takes a pic, it is the car in front that is caught on camera and not yours. Works best with a truck in front.

Doesn't explain why they tailgate when you aren't speeding though.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:07 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ. My wife got a penalty and the car was travelling away in the photo. It does seem to differ from state to state :

VIC - Takes front and back
WA - Front only
All the rest - Usually rear but dependent on equipment.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I beg to differ. My wife got a penalty and the car was travelling away in the photo. It does seem to differ from state to state :

WA - Front only
VIC is a bit like my wife in that case
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion

WA - Front only
Static speed cameras in VIC only take front. Are you talking red light cameras or mobile (police operated) cameras?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Burbage
Doesn't explain why they tailgate when you aren't speeding though.
They're trying to push you out of the way.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:31 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Static speed cameras in VIC only take front. Are you talking red light cameras or mobile (police operated) cameras?
I think BS was thinking more along the lines of red light district

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.