Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tailgaiting Question

Tailgaiting Question

Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tailgaiting Question

Been here in Oz now just over 3 months and happily settled. One question though, whilst we were travelling looking at places to live........ why do Ozzies tailgait with no intention of getting past you, I inclined to think it's because if a Kanga jumps out in front of you, you'll hit it and write your car off and they will get off scot free.

Lots of cars do it to big trucks as well??

On the plus side, they don't seem to do it where we are now
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:40 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tailgaiting Question

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Been here in Oz now just over 3 months and happily settled. One question though, whilst we were travelling looking at places to live........ why do Ozzies tailgait with no intention of getting past you, I inclined to think it's because if a Kanga jumps out in front of you, you'll hit it and write your car off and they will get off scot free.

nothing to do with any of that.
They're just all f#$king morons, who got their licenses in skill testers
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Its because they don't want anyone to drive in the gap in between their car and the person in front. That gap is all theirs.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:44 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
nothing to do with any of that.
They're just all f#$king morons, who got their licenses in skill testers
A broad brush, but the paint lacks substance.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Were talking about this the other day. I've not noticed any large trucks or semi trailers doing it here but small cars do. However in the UK it was always artics and never small cars. Why?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:50 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Were talking about this the other day. I've not noticed any large trucks or semi trailers doing it here but small cars do. However in the UK it was always artics and never small cars. Why?
There is a black SLK that wont be doing it for a while after my emergency breaking on the city link this morning

Man those Merc brakes smoke when under pressure
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I always found in my manual (don't know if it works with automatic but can't see why not) a very gentle tap on the brake while t'other foot is still on the accelerator does the trick - just enough to flick the brake lights - scares the bejeebers out of whoever is behind you.

Taught by my parents. That way, if they are slow to react, you are still moving forwards at the same rate and not going to get them joining you on the back seat!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's because they have "bumped into you" before

Tailgaiting is a pet hate ...Grrrr!

They do it a lot in Malaysia too.

An appropriate sticker on the rear windscreen might help.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

Slam your brakes on, skid to a stop then get out and smack the driver of the car behind in the face with a spade. That usually makes them think twice about doing it again.

Chris.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:09 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisling
Slam your brakes on, skid to a stop then get out and smack the driver of the car behind in the face with a spade. That usually makes them think twice about doing it again.

Chris.
That would be plan C or D
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:15 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

It could be due the increase in fuel cost of late and the need to slip stream and save some money by incresing your MPG

Originally Posted by paulry

An appropriate sticker on the rear windscreen might help.
What like "unless your a hemroid get off my arse"

Dougie
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE

What like "unless your a hemroid get off my arse"

Dougie
Perfect
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a combination of cruise control, automatics and police rigorously implementing speed limits. Nearly everyone does spot on the limit with the cruise set, they all bunch together, nobody dares pass.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I think its a combination of cruise control, automatics and police rigorously implementing speed limits. Nearly everyone does spot on the limit with the cruise set, they all bunch together, nobody dares pass.
I think you're right about the cruise control. Wouldn't necessarily agree with automatic point though. I had a rental for a few weeks that had cruise control and hated it. Couldn't get the hang of letting the car have the control (that's how it felt). Wouldn't use it and thankfully I don't have it on my car now. If I'm driving, I'm in control which includes the speed and distance between me and the car in front.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spartacus
The rigorously enforced speed limits can be quite dangerous. I find in the UK these days my attention is focused very much on speed cameras, changing speed limits, etc. Pity the pedestrian who steps onto the road that isn't painted yellow or have a speed limit sign attached to him.

Also, in some areas the speed limit switches almost randonly from 30 to 40 and then back to 30 again. So people unfamiliar with an area stay below 30 just to be safe - causing some tailgaiting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.