Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sydney SW Campbelltown driving & property

Sydney SW Campbelltown driving & property

Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney SW Campbelltown driving & property

Wife is going for a job interview in Campbelltown on Friday. We'll be driving there from Orange at 8am, so coming in on the M4. From there it's down the A9 or M7. What our best chance of making sure we're there in good time?

Also we've started looking at rentals and purchase homes in the area. Any hints & tips in this regard would be great

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:45 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney SW Campbelltown driving & property

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Wife is going for a job interview in Campbelltown on Friday. We'll be driving there from Orange at 8am, so coming in on the M4. From there it's down the A9 or M7. What our best chance of making sure we're there in good time?

Also we've started looking at rentals and purchase homes in the area. Any hints & tips in this regard would be great

Cheers
What time is her interview?

We live in the Blue Mountains and if we travel down to Canberra we tend to use the A9 going on the Friday and the M7 coming back on the Sunday. If the traffic is quiet, the M7 is quicker... but, well, you know what traffic can be like, you can get some horrific snarl ups especially around the M7/M5 junction (and of course you'll have to pay toll fees on the M7)

As for the area, I don't know much about it - I have friends who live just outside Camden who love it but that's just one opinion
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
What time is her interview?

We live in the Blue Mountains and if we travel down to Canberra we tend to use the A9 going on the Friday and the M7 coming back on the Sunday. If the traffic is quiet, the M7 is quicker... but, well, you know what traffic can be like, you can get some horrific snarl ups especially around the M7/M5 junction (and of course you'll have to pay toll fees on the M7)

As for the area, I don't know much about it - I have friends who live just outside Camden who love it but that's just one opinion
Interview time is 12:45. They've said to allow an hour, but these things can overrun easily. Leaving Orange 8am should get us there about 11:30. Hope to have left for home by 2.15-2.30pm.

We have heard nice things about Camden. But with nice things tend to come 'nice' house prices too...?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Interview time is 12:45. They've said to allow an hour, but these things can overrun easily. Leaving Orange 8am should get us there about 11:30. Hope to have left for home by 2.15-2.30pm.

We have heard nice things about Camden. But with nice things tend to come 'nice' house prices too...?
I'd be inclined to go the A9 route - you'll have a chance to see a bit of the countryside around there too. From recollection, Camden and the surrounds have quite a few new building areas going up which is possibly keeping house prices down but I'm only speculating - let realestate/domain etc be your friend
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd go the night before and stay the night - scope out the location in the evening, and then have a relaxed morning without worrying about traffic conditions.

If it's a job that she really wants, then it's probably worth it.

S
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I think I'd go the night before and stay the night - scope out the location in the evening, and then have a relaxed morning without worrying about traffic conditions.

If it's a job that she really wants, then it's probably worth it.
That is the best idea but we have a toddler son, so we're restricted to a day trip unfortunately
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

That is the best idea but we have a toddler son, so we're restricted to a day trip unfortunately
Just to clarify, the face is not because we have a toddler son! He's gorgeous. The light of my life. It just means no night away with the wife
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:39 am
Officially Bewildered

Just talking to Himself about it, apparently all the new housing development in Camden is because of the South West Rail Link which is under construction and will greatly improve rail travel in the area. No doubt that'll push house prices up considerably.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Campbelltown hospital has a good neurologist, and is being done up. There are some reasonable shops there. Some areas just outside Campbelltown are a bit rough though.

(I have to go there by train from the North Shore from time to time, and whilst it is OK in the daytime, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable at night. So I don't know what it is like to live there or drive there. Sorry.)
Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Campbelltown wouldnt be my choice of place to live but Camden and that area is nicer albeit more built up than it used to be!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
Campbelltown wouldnt be my choice of place to live but Camden and that area is nicer albeit more built up than it used to be!
My father in law keeps telling us that he thinks Camden is nice. We've having to go through a bit of a property reality check at the moment. In Orange currently we can get a 4 bed place on 850sqm block for well under $400,000. We're finding we can afford that around half and hour south of Campbelltown/Camden, but inevitably get much less bang for our buck.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:38 pm
Officially Bewildered

My father in law keeps telling us that he thinks Camden is nice. We've having to go through a bit of a property reality check at the moment. In Orange currently we can get a 4 bed place on 850sqm block for well under $400,000. We're finding we can afford that around half and hour south of Campbelltown/Camden, but inevitably get much less bang for our buck.
Try looking to the north west of Campbelltown too - it's fairly rural, big plots (I have no idea of prices though) - looking along the A9 corridor to whatever distance out you feel comfortable.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Campbelltown and immediate surroundings are *very* rough. I wouldn't even begin looking for property there. The places others have mentioned are close, and much nicer.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

And I hope the interview goes well.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for the comments.

Wife's interview went well, but never know how strong the other guy is. Hope to hear on Monday. Had a quick drive around the area. The whole area just doesn't feel as laid back as Orange. Probably about right for city outskirts. Haven't had to drive in traffic like that or well over a year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.