Wikiposts

Sydney or Melbourne

Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:42 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney or Melbourne

I really think that either people walk round with their eyes closed when they visit Melbourne ... and certainly have delusions and/or very short memories about the weather, and the city itself.

Lets look at some conception based on facts, and my interpretation based on LIVING here for 3 years..
1) The weather...
We do have seasons ...and the winter can be cold...but NOT ANYWHERE NEAR as cold as the UK ...and we are blessed with a short winter anyway.
The summer are hot ...with lots of days over 35C ...going up to the low to mid 40Cs - and the summers are generally dry and predictable from Dec to mid-March.
We are in Drought conditions...and have been for 11 years.
The AVERAGE yearly temp...based on official figures from 2007 is slightly under 28C
I hope nobody embarrasses themselves by disputing fact.

2) Things to do...
Melbourne is a big, multi-cultural city ...much bigger than Perth or Brisbane. There is always lots to do .... from going to the beaches, surrounding mountains, and bush - to enjoying the many, many cafes or resturants ... Melbourne is well-known for it's cafe-scene... attending one of the many Sports events...AFL, Rugby, Cricket (Test and 1 day), the Formula F1 ..and of course now...the Tennis. And of course there is shopping ...I've even heard of people coming here from Perth to do their Christmas shopping

Some people have mentioned things that I can't fathom out how they got that opinion ... but re: beaches...you only have to read above to see how people who LIVE here love the beaches that are on our doorstep ... and of course, you only have to go a little further afield to get to the magnificant Great Ocean Road in the west, or Wilsons Prom to the east- as for the person who was disappointed with Philip Island ...did you go over to the Nobbies and that side of the Island?

I cannot give a judement about living in Sydney ..as never lived there myself ...but please people...don't slam Melbourne unless you have lived here for a decent length of time. You'll only be corrected by those of us who have, and love our city.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice
Cool Re: Sydney or Melbourne

...I lived in Listerfield for just over a year. Commuted and worked at the William Anglis Institute of TAFE in Melbourne.... So I have lived and worked there.... so yes my opinion is just that. An opinion... but valid none the less..and yes. The weather was unpredictable and yes. I still think Melbourne was a shite 'ole. Only decent beach was Sorento which was always packed. In Brizzie I live 30 minutes from the Gold Coast. Ps. If its so bad why are all the Victorians moving here??????

Brisbane first. Sydney second... In joint last place Weston Super Mere and Melbourne
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:14 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robclaridge
...I lived in Listerfield for just over a year. Commuted and worked at the William Anglis Institute of TAFE in Melbourne.... So I have lived and worked there.... so yes my opinion is just that. An opinion... but valid none the less..and yes. The weather was unpredictable and yes. I still think Melbourne was a shite 'ole. Only decent beach was Sorento which was always packed. In Brizzie I live 30 minutes from the Gold Coast. Ps. If its so bad why are all the Victorians moving here??????

Brisbane first. Sydney second... In joint last place Weston Super Mere and Melbourne
I bet you like Blackpool, and kiss-me-quick hats too! Sorry, rather a cheeky comment...

The people who have posted here aren't moving
How many Victorians are moving there each month?

And re the weather...I did say that you cannot deny facts without embarrassing yourself...

Re the beaches...can you list the ones you went to?

And can you specify why you think Melbourne is a shite-hole, with examples please?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:16 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney, if you can afford it.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:20 pm
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by fraser
Or London if you can't ?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:24 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Sorry Fraser but it does appear to me that you don't have anything good to say about Melbourne since your arrival here or certainly not long after you arrived. If I remember rightly before you came to Melbourne you sung its praises all the time but now you do appear very negative about it and your lifestyle. What has changed over the past couple of years or am I just reading your posts wrong?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:24 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Or London if you can't ?
No Melbourne, if you can afford London you can afford Sydney.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Sorry Fraser but it does appear to me that you don't have anything good to say about Melbourne since your arrival here or certainly not long after you arrived. If I remember rightly before you came to Melbourne you sung its praises all the time but now you do appear very negative about it and your lifestyle. What has changed over the past couple of years or am I just reading your posts wrong?
Nothing I love Melbourne, but if I could afford it I'd go to Sydney it's a lot easier to move Sydney to Melbourne as your money would be better invested in Sydney.

I really can't see how that was negative about Melbourne.

Last edited by fraser; Jan 5th 2008 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Not lived in Melbourne but visited a couple of times so i only have a tourists perspective. I didnt like it. Not even sure why, just didnt ring any bells, but maybe because I already lived in Sydney and for me it is the best of all the cities I have been to in Aus.

Melbourne often crows about its cafe culture and I agree it does have some lovely places, but by the same token so does Sydney!! In fact we rarely eat at home. Living so close to the centeal city we cna also access this 24hrs a day.
It also has heaps of art and culture too. Heaps of museums, of course the Opera House which has stuff on ALL year round in various art forms.
Then there is the harbour..please... nothing beats it! One of, if not THE best city harbour settings in the world. Try staying fed up after a ferry ride around that on a sunny afternoon.

Not been to beaches in Melbourne, but I live within 10 mins of 7 gloriously sandy beaches catering for all needs be it surf, family, swimming or purely natural beauty.

From what people have posted here Melbourne does not have anything Sydney already have except better weather

I not looking to argue or dismiss others views just plugging Sydney from my own perspective
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:39 pm

It wasn't..never said it was
I love Melbourne you know I do, it's a fantastic city.

But surely I can say to somebody move to Sydney without it being negative towards Melbourne.

Sydney has great beaches and the harbour, I also like the busyness of it.

If you were to move to Melbourne and change your mind I believe you'd be wors equipped financially to move than than doing it in reverse.

Luckily we never had the choice due to STNI, it must be really hard, hell it's hard enough deciding where to live in Melbourne as after two years we still haven't
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

I bet you like Blackpool, and kiss-me-quick hats too! Sorry, rather a cheeky comment...

The people who have posted here aren't moving
How many Victorians are moving there each month?

And re the weather...I did say that you cannot deny facts without embarrassing yourself...

Re the beaches...can you list the ones you went to?

And can you specify why you think Melbourne is a shite-hole, with examples please?
...Help! How about I just say Melbourne was definatly not for me. I preferred Sydney - But Brisbane it where my heart is.

PS Blackpool! (Yuk) is much worse than Melbourne - I will concede that much! lol

But not the weather. An average of 28 degrees? Is it because it can be 42 degrees on Monday and 16 degrees by the Tuesday.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:45 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'd say move to Sydney as well.

And leave Melbourne to us that love it.

Loads of Victorians are moving up to Gold Coast, unfortunetly their average age is around 84 I think.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Oh bother lol..... I give up... Home is wherever you lay your hat.....

Sorry...I just cannot resist one more little dig.. All this hassel from a state who's only claim to fame is to lose a Prime Minister whilst out swimming!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:57 pm

Melbourne or Brisbane? Melbourne easily, Brisbane is boring.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:03 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robclaridge
Oh bother lol..... I give up... Home is wherever you lay your hat.....

Sorry...I just cannot resist one more little dig.. All this hassel from a state who's only claim to fame is to lose a Prime Minister whilst out swimming!
and then name a swimming pool after him

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.