Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Swimming in Australia: the hazards

Swimming in Australia: the hazards

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:28 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Swimming in Australia: the hazards

The family of a girl who nearly died from a box jellyfish sting say the nearby campers who poured vinegar over her saved her life.

Rachel Shardlow, 10, was tangled in the jellyfish tentacles while swimming with her 12-year-old brother Sam in the Calliope River in central Queensland. She lost her vision as she struggled to get out of the water.

"It was hurting a lot and I didn't think I was going to make it either," Sam said. "She was saying 'I can't see, I can't breathe'. She's going 'get this thing off me' and said 'am I going to die?'"

Rachel then collapsed on the riverbank unconscious. Quick-thinking nearby campers doused her in vinegar to stop more venom entering her system.

Her father, who does not want to be identified, said it was horrific.

"It was like someone had thrown purple paint all over her legs. Crazy paint, everywhere," he said.

Rachel's mother drove her to meet paramedics near the remote campsite. But her heart stopped on the way and her father had to perform CPR.

"I noticed Rachel wasn't breathing anymore and she was turning blue. That's when I started CPR," he said.

A box jellyfish can kill an adult in less than four minutes.

[...]

Marine biologists are shocked the venomous sea creature was so far from the ocean, with the river 20 kilometres away.
(Source).

Here is a photo of Rachel's leg after the jellyfish had finished with it:

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming in Australia: the hazards

Ouch! That's scary. Glad she survived.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap, she's one lucky girl. Never heard of them going into the river system like that.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Swimming in Australia: the hazards

20km is a hell of a way for a jellyfish to swim.

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
20km is a hell of a way for a jellyfish to swim.

In South Africa and I'm sure in Australia you will find crocs going out to sea and sharks swimming high up into fresh water rivers, so it's not that unusual for it to happen.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

That was a box jellyfish and she, luckily, survived.

Check out the Irikandji http://www.irukandjijellyfish.com/.

Far more deadly. Apparently the pain is excruciating and people die from the onset of shock...it is only as big an adults fingernail.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JR230898
That was a box jellyfish and she, luckily, survived.

Check out the Irikandji http://www.irukandjijellyfish.com/.

Far more deadly. Apparently the pain is excruciating and people die from the onset of shock...it is only as big an adults fingernail.
The Irukandji jellyfish has been seen in Fraser Island, an island in northern Queensland, 250 kilometres north of Brisbane.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
The Irukandji jellyfish has been seen in Fraser Island, an island in northern Queensland, 250 kilometres north of Brisbane.
They've been washing up on the Sunny Coast beaches all this last week
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:26 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Where l go swimming at my local beach down here in Victoria theres nothing to worry about, theres nothing that bites you, l've been swimming there 30 years never been bitten by anything, never been a shark attack either.
. Most of the Nastys seem to be in Queensland, it the tropical climate up there the nastys like.

Last edited by mohogony; Dec 23rd 2009 at 8:31 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Dear God!!! That is horrible. Worst I've had is bluebottles/stingers, here in Sydney- though recently we seem to have a lot of sharks too. DD wears a wetsuit when she goes in the sea to protect her. (from the stings that is)
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

That looks pretty horrific!The vinegar idea has been around for yonks,good thinking by those campers too!Thank god the Dad could perform CPR!What a horrrible experience for that family!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick to the pool!

I think I read somewhere on QLD beaches you have bottles of vinegar as part of the life saving kits? Good idea if it is that effective!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:15 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Swimming at the beaches in OZ is safe except in the northern tropical part of the country like northern queensland and DArwin , thats the only places where these dealdy stingers are.