British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/sweet-jesus-inlaws-coming-six-weeks-614260/)

Sally Simpson Jun 13th 2009 10:35 am

Re: Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks

Originally Posted by Dazza49 (Post 7658597)
We have just bought a house and they have been looking on realestate at properties in the same area :eek:absolute nightmare :mad:

Any chance you could have a word with immigration so that they don't get a visa?:sneaky:

FRAYNE Jun 13th 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Dazza49 (Post 7658319)
Hi Hutch,
Count yourself lucky, mine are coming over for good:eek:and I can't stand my MIL an absolute BITCH. really dreading it and gonna cause problems with OH and myself:frown: Six weeks will seem like a lifetime, but the sooner yours get here the sooner thay leave, wish I could say that.Goodluck

Allyson:thumbsup:

I feel so sorry for all you folks that dont want to see your inlaws, we are one of those that came over for good, my son married a australian girl luckily we get on really well. I do a round trip of 3 hours every monday to pick up my grandson he stays overnight so my daughter in law can work and his other nan looks after him 2 days , they often ring to say they will be up for the weekend and we have a few bottles of wine and take it in turns to cook ,my hubby also gets on great with my mum she will be over for a holiday soon shes nearly 80 and she can stay as long as she likes, my dad passed away 4 months ago so make the most of them while you can.
Janet

sonlymewalter Jun 13th 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by FRAYNE (Post 7661193)
I feel so sorry for all you folks that dont want to see your inlaws, we are one of those that came over for good, my son married a australian girl luckily we get on really well. I do a round trip of 3 hours every monday to pick up my grandson he stays overnight so my daughter in law can work and his other nan looks after him 2 days , they often ring to say they will be up for the weekend and we have a few bottles of wine and take it in turns to cook ,my hubby also gets on great with my mum she will be over for a holiday soon shes nearly 80 and she can stay as long as she likes, my dad passed away 4 months ago so make the most of them while you can.
Janet

That's because we're lucky mate;)

Zambia Jun 13th 2009 11:55 am

Loving your folks and living with them are worlds apart.

FRAYNE Jun 13th 2009 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Zambia (Post 7661231)
Loving your folks and living with them are worlds apart.

Well iv been lucky and loved my mum and dad and would of had them live with me, and my hubby got on great with my mum and dad, and hopefully my sons feel the same way about there mum and dad
janet

Zambia Jun 13th 2009 12:07 pm

That's great to hear , sadly a lot of us are in the same boat as Hutch. Even though he really sounds like the captain.

Some of us are lucky though the mother stated "I have no interest in seeing that place" hence the wife insisted on one way tickets.

moneypenny20 Jun 13th 2009 12:34 pm

My mother would never come but if she did we would all take a long trip somewhere far away whilst she was here. Not sure my brother knows where Australia is. My sister was coming one christmas but decided to go to NY instead. My SiL lives in Perth - possibly why we settled as far on the other side as possible.

The only rellies we'd like to see would be the MiL and FiL - they're great. Unfortunately because they are nice they feel that if they came to see us they would feel honour bound to visit the SiL as well and they have no intention of doing that ever again because the BiL is the biggest dick in the world so it's unlikely they will come over. Never mind, I can cope with all that providing my mother never appears on my doorstep.

MarkMC Jun 13th 2009 1:13 pm

Hutch, If you feel the need to get away for a few days (5.5 weeks), just let us know.

Hutch Jun 13th 2009 1:41 pm

Yea, obviously I'd prefer it if my wife's parents weren't the human equivalent of an extra-terrestrial vacuum, but what can you do? For the record, the missus dislikes 'em every bit as much as me, though obviously she still takes the "they're still family" line, which is why they're coming out to see her and my son at the end of the year. And it's not just us either, the brother-in-law has a collection of doll-like likenesses of the MIL that he stabs pins into of an evening while muttering African incantations.

Prior to meeting my wife's parents I thought that characters like Hyacinth Bouquet and Victor Meldrew were comedic inventions - so imagine my delight when I discovered they were real people. Though if anything Hyacinth and Victor are toned down versions of my in-laws. Did I mention that my father-in-law is so tight that he made his wife (six weeks out of surgery for breast cancer) catch the bus to her out-patients appointments because it was more cost effective than driving? Or that they've adopted a French family who they met through town-twinning and whose eight year old son they shower with gifts while their own grandson is lucky to get a card and a pack of felt-tips?

They say we're in for an El-Nino summer, well fear not, because the MIL's on her way and she can suck the light from the day. :lol:

Bernieboy Jun 14th 2009 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7661391)
Yea, obviously I'd prefer it if my wife's parents weren't the human equivalent of an extra-terrestrial vacuum, but what can you do? For the record, the missus dislikes 'em every bit as much as me, though obviously she still takes the "they're still family" line, which is why they're coming out to see her and my son at the end of the year. And it's not just us either, the brother-in-law has a collection of doll-like likenesses of the MIL that he stabs pins into of an evening while muttering African incantations.

Prior to meeting my wife's parents I thought that characters like Hyacinth Bouquet and Victor Meldrew were comedic inventions - so imagine my delight when I discovered they were real people. Though if anything Hyacinth and Victor are toned down versions of my in-laws. Did I mention that my father-in-law is so tight that he made his wife (six weeks out of surgery for breast cancer) catch the bus to her out-patients appointments because it was more cost effective than driving? Or that they've adopted a French family who they met through town-twinning and whose eight year old son they shower with gifts while their own grandson is lucky to get a card and a pack of felt-tips?

They say we're in for an El-Nino summer, well fear not, because the MIL's on her way and she can suck the light from the day. :lol:

:lol::lol:

storms Jun 14th 2009 12:31 am

Feel for you, my parents came for a 3 month holiday just 3 months after we arrived, felt like they had only gone back, when 9 months later they came for 8 weeks.....to help with the kids over summer..............this was after me being blunt and saying anything over 5 weeks was too long.....they move over later this year.......need a base.....think hubby is moving out......:rofl:

MERCAT Jun 14th 2009 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7655363)
*weeps quietly into his hands*

Missus: They're definitely coming. Have told them they'll need to chip in with electricity etc.
Me: ****!
Missus: And my mum says she has learned her lesson!
Me: ****!
Missus: They are coming for ages.
Me: Define 'ages'.
Missus: 9th dec - 18th jan
Me: And they'll be in this house during that entire period? They're not like, buggering off to Perth for five of those weeks?
Missus: At least it's over christmas so loads going on.
Me: Yea, a double homicide for starters ....

http://www.mybloggingblog.com/wp-con...rustration.jpg

Congratulations. I'm sure you will have lots of fun.... My parents have just gone home having spent 4 months with my sister and 4 months with us.. Not too much of a problem. Dad did the garden for me. OH and me were both out all day at work. Have to say, after 4 months the house felt rather quite when they had gone (bearing in mind I have 3 teenage boys and OH). They have gone back to the UK and are considering moving here permanently.

Hutch Jun 14th 2009 10:25 am

Originally Posted by MERCAT (Post 7662532)
Congratulations. I'm sure you will have lots of fun....

They've already been out on two previous occasions and I can categorically state that it will be about as much fun as anisthetic-free root canal surgery.

Cheetah7 Jun 14th 2009 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7663167)
They've already been out on two previous occasions and I can categorically state that it will be about as much fun as anisthetic-free root canal surgery.

Hutch, after the shit they caused last time, cant you put your foot down and say 'no'.

If my family had done that to us, no way would Mr PP allow them in the house and neither would I.

Do you really think they have learned their lesson?

Ive already told everyone I know that if they want to come and stay then fine, but we are 'not doing the guest house thing' but will help them find a rental.

fraser Jun 14th 2009 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7655363)
*weeps quietly into his hands*

I hear the UK is nice at xmas....