SW Scotland photos

Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Scotland photos

Originally Posted by OzTennis
There's no denying the Republic of Ireland is the wettest European country, it was on the news yesterday in fact. I didn't use Photoshop to produce the scenes I've posted, we get lovely days, like today. We've not had a typical summer this year but as can be seen we've been out and about plenty. We've been to Westport for 4 x 1 week holidays over the years and had 3 or 4 rainy days at most - must have been lucky!

Yes, South West Scotland is one of the nicer parts of Scotland. I disagree on bits of Ayrshire/Renfrewshire but generally it's not as inviting to get the camera out I agree Friends are just back from a weekend on Arran. They got the ferry from Ardrossan across to Brodick and had an absolutely magical weekend (with lovely weather)!
It does rain in the Republic, but it's not wetter than many places in Europe and even here we have different weather in different places It's kind of funny that a lot of British people think we always get worse weather. Dublin gets less rain than Blackpool and has more sunshine hours than Birmingham. Wicklow would get the same amount of sun as Brussels and probably 50 fewer rainy days. I'm in Co. Galway myself and we do get a lot of rainfall, but it can go so quickly and be different 10 km away. I always feel that Westport does get better weather than Galway City. It's happened many times that it was pouring down when we passed Galway City and in Westport we had sun.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It does rain in the Republic, but it's not wetter than many places in Europe and even here we have different weather in different places It's kind of funny that a lot of British people think we always get worse weather. Dublin gets less rain than Blackpool and has more sunshine hours than Birmingham. Wicklow would get the same amount of sun as Brussels and probably 50 fewer rainy days. I'm in Co. Galway myself and we do get a lot of rainfall, but it can go so quickly and be different 10 km away. I always feel that Westport does get better weather than Galway City. It's happened many times that it was pouring down when we passed Galway City and in Westport we had sun.
Agreed (much variation between east and west but the west of the '40 shades of green' does get it's fair share) and reading your posts has brought back many fond memories of our times in Westport. We used to stay in a lovely bungalow on a hill just above Westport Harbour with uninterrupted views of the harbour, Clew Bay and Croagh Patrick looking over everything.

This afternoon we took advantage of the break in the rain to enjoy the late arvo sunshine down at Balcary Bay by Auchencairn. The Lake District hills stood out clearly and it was magnificent as some photos will show. Autumn tints are just coming to the trees and the heather and bracken on the hillsides. Our Dalbeattie friend will know the scenes well and enjoy these:

On the road between Auchencairn and Balcary Bay Hotel looking towards Screel and Bengairn:

Fishing nets, Hestan Island and Lake District in the background:

Just doing down to the beach next to the hotel:

Heading back for home, up the hill just out of Auchencairn and looking down over the village, Balcary Bay, Hestan Island and towards England:

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 16th 2015 at 4:09 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 6:35 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

The view is beautiful oztennis, and i cant wait to be back over next year. Didnt realise you had a place in melbourne too, my favourite aussie city - love the victoria market for food 😊
Old Sep 17th 2015, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Once again Oztennis provides such magnificent photo's. (are you a pro) They are terrific. Thank you.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Agreed (much variation between east and west but the west of the '40 shades of green' does get it's fair share) and reading your posts has brought back many fond memories of our times in Westport. We used to stay in a lovely bungalow on a hill just above Westport Harbour with uninterrupted views of the harbour, Clew Bay and Croagh Patrick looking over everything.

This afternoon we took advantage of the break in the rain to enjoy the late arvo sunshine down at Balcary Bay by Auchencairn. The Lake District hills stood out clearly and it was magnificent as some photos will show. Autumn tints are just coming to the trees and the heather and bracken on the hillsides. Our Dalbeattie friend will know the scenes well and enjoy these:

On the road between Auchencairn and Balcary Bay Hotel looking towards Screel and Bengairn:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psgadgb85u.jpg

Fishing nets, Hestan Island and Lake District in the background:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psefeicjsc.jpg

Just doing down to the beach next to the hotel:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4z1qmzer.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...pscwe2djnp.jpg

Heading back for home, up the hill just out of Auchencairn and looking down over the village, Balcary Bay, Hestan Island and towards England:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psepmpeju1.jpg
Great pictures again:-). I love driving to Westport and maybe you've also been to Clifden too, another favourite place of mine.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I'm not a pro by any means, I just have a decent compact camera which goes in the pocket and I shoot on auto everything. I've joined the local camera club to try and get a few more ideas. Clifden we've been to a number of times - it's a lovely drive around the coast to Louisburgh from Westport, inland to Leenane, to Kylemore Abbey (a must for any photographer), Clifden and on to Galway. I tried to find my Ireland photos on my computer but they're buried somewhere!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
The view is beautiful oztennis, and i cant wait to be back over next year. Didnt realise you had a place in melbourne too, my favourite aussie city - love the victoria market for food � ����
Yes, I come from Melbourne and met my wife, who comes from Kirtlebridge, in a tennis club in Melbourne (she was out for 2 years teaching but didn't go home for 10). After we were married we had time in Melbourne, time in Bendigo and moved to Scotland. We bought a property a long time ago in Williamstown where I come from and we go out every year. Best of both worlds - time in Scotland and time in Oz. Victoria Market is great and we regularly go to stock up on fruit and vegs in particular but fish/meat/cheese and souvenirs as well.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Today's late afternoon visit was to Palnackie which is 5 to 10 mins south of where we stay. Mrs OzT wanted to pick some brambles to make jelly and a good place for them each Sept/Oct is along the Glen road out of the village of Palnackie. Sparkleydiva will recognise the scenes.

On the way there, a view of Orchardton Tower, Douganhill farm and Screel:

Out of Palnackie, the view looking towards the village, River Urr and Barlochan old folks home and caravan park up the hill:

The Millennium View sign looking over the Urr towards Barnbarroch/Kippford:

From the sign showing different locations:

People live in this teepee (or is it a wigwam?) I was thinking of the joke about the lady who went to the doctor as I took this. What seems to be the problem? I don't know what's wrong with me doctor. Some days I feel like a teepee and other days I feel like a wigwam. You know your trouble don't you? No? You're too tense (two tents) boom boom.

Looking over Kirkennan House towards Dalbeattie which you can just make out the edge of. These particular brambles weren't quite ready for picking but we got plenty on the walk:

On the edge of Tornat Wood where we turned, there's a former derelict barn which has been converted, autumn tints starting to appear:

Coming back down into Palnackie, a panorama shot of the village:

Lastly, this likeable chap is well known in Palnackie. He sits on the wall opposite the village shop and tearoom and dotes on people passing by:

Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Liked them all but my favorite is the wee fella on the wall.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 6:29 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
Liked them all but my favorite is the wee fella on the wall.

Thanks again.
Me too

I remember bramble picking at the end of every summer too. I forget many of things until you prompt me with the beautiful photos. Yes know Palnackie well, dog is so cute. Anyway back to brambling - we used to walk up the Moss Road in Dalbettie, towards Sandyhills picking them
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ta, here's the other shot I took of the wee fella. Brambling is a good way to see the countryside; will try out Moss Rd Terrace.

Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Late arvo brambling to get enough to make lots of bramble jelly was today at the Carrick shore south of Gatehouse of Fleet and near Borgue. This will be the last lot for a while. Some shots of Fleet Bay area:

Deserted farmhouse on an island in the bay:

And some random ones to finish off - 'What is life' statue at Port William:

One of the things they do really well in this area is the fund raising coffee mornings and cream teas. Here's a daffodil tea in the spring:

Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again. Hope it is OK to use your photo of "What is this life"?

Peter
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:18 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Beautiful shots thank you

The afternoon tea looks yum!
Old Sep 19th 2015, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the comments both of you. I should have said it is fine to use any of my photos, I'm happy to share them. (the tea was good!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.