SW Scotland photos

Old Sep 9th 2015, 7:03 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Scotland photos

Wow, brought tears to my eyes as very homesick just now and although i lived in manchester for many years before moving to new zealand, i come from Dalbeattie on the solway coast and know this area like the back of my hand. Funnily enough i was talking about sweetheart abbey just the other day. My father died three years ago now and my sister and i have a bench in his memory in Dalbeattie park. Beautiful photographs. Thank you for sharing, has made my day, even if it is with a few tears.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Wow, brought tears to my eyes as very homesick just now and although i lived in manchester for many years before moving to new zealand, i come from Dalbeattie on the solway coast and know this area like the back of my hand. Funnily enough i was talking about sweetheart abbey just the other day. My father died three years ago now and my sister and i have a bench in his memory in Dalbeattie park. Beautiful photographs. Thank you for sharing, has made my day, even if it is with a few tears.
Thanks, I know Dalbeattie like the back of my hand too and have spent many an hour over the years in Colliston Park at the tennis club, coaching and playing. We are often through Dalbeattie as well on our travels to Kippford/Rockcliffe/Portling etc and there is an excellent new shop and cafe at Beeswing run by the Loch Arthur community which is very popular - superb home made bread!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:58 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Thanks, I know Dalbeattie like the back of my hand too and have spent many an hour over the years in Colliston Park at the tennis club, coaching and playing. We are often through Dalbeattie as well on our travels to Kippford/Rockcliffe/Portling etc and there is an excellent new shop and cafe at Beeswing run by the Loch Arthur community which is very popular - superb home made bread!
Lovely to know someone else knows my home town. If you are ever in the park, the bench sits over looking the boat pond towards the road and reads to our father david john johnstone. If you sit on it, think of me ...

I was born at moss road terrace, so if you go that way to sandy hills...

I look forward to more photographs, i just love them

Thank you
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to know someone else knows my home town. If you are ever in the park, the bench sits over looking the boat pond towards the road and reads to our father david john johnstone. If you sit on it, think of me ...

I was born at moss road terrace, so if you go that way to sandy hills...

I look forward to more photographs, i just love them

Thank you
Thanks, I will do that for you. Johnstone is a common Dalbeattie name (I know Douglas who is married to one of the McDonald girls and he works at Dalbeattie Finance Company which I think his father started? My wife taught him and a lot of other ones from Dalbeattie at Kirkcudbright Academy; in the days before they stayed all 6 years at DHS). A friend lives in Moss Road Terrace so know that well also! Small world and I will post some more photos.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:48 pm
wish I wasn't here!

It is indeed a small world. I look forward to more pictures - thank you - makes me so happy to see them
Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed a small world. I look forward to more pictures - thank you - makes me so happy to see them
I also look forward to seeing. Takes me back to my HAPPY sailing and touring days in that beautiful part of the world.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

By popular request here's some more photos of the area, in no particular order.

Kippford, near Dalbeattie

The famous Galloway Belties - taken near Carsphairn on the northern fringes of the Stewartry

Threave Castle near Castle Douglas (taken by a fellow member of Stewartry Camera Club)

Carlingwark Loch, Castle Douglas on a still winter's day

Wind turbines in the Solway Firth off the coast near Portling (hair dryers for sheep!)

Wigtown, Scotland's Book Town

Young lambs near Dalry

Skiddaw from Portling (Stewartry Camera Club member)

Stewartry Camera Club members work at:
https://thestewartrycc.wordpress.com/members-work/

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 11th 2015 at 10:07 am.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Great pic's thank you. Is the old chain ferry still working?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themajor
Great pic's thank you. Is the old chain ferry still working?
Thanks, sorry, where's the chain ferry?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, sorry, where's the chain ferry?
Kipford, is where there used to be one many many moons ago.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah, no, not in our time here which goes back a long way.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, no, not in our time here which goes back a long way.
I just might have got mixed up. Sorry
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I adore these photos.. I have a close friend (elderly) who lives in Newton Stewart. I love the place and its surrounding areas. I will be moving back to UK in next 2 years and open to where I live. Scotland has a strong appeal for me. I have no family so can go where I like. Thank you for the photos - made my day
Old Sep 11th 2015, 7:17 pm
wish I wasn't here!

d

Im pretty sure you are right, there used to be one but was a long time ago.

Oztennis thank you again, love seeing the photos. Cant wait to be back up there in april next year

Anymore you have on your travels greatly appreciated
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

d

Im pretty sure you are right, there used to be one but was a long time ago.

Oztennis thank you again, love seeing the photos. Cant wait to be back up there in april next year

Anymore you have on your travels greatly appreciated
Thanks, I'm glad to share my love of this area with those who appreciate it. I'll dig more photos out and post them (hope the Mods don't take me to task for the space I'm taking up with photos).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.