Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Surprising things you appreciate now your in Oz.

Surprising things you appreciate now your in Oz.

Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:41 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surprising things you appreciate now your in Oz.

Originally Posted by Wol
It *does* vary place by place of course - I believe you are down in Vic?

Certainly the litter problem in many parts of NSW is dreadful: check out my photos of Manly beach I posted during my awful 6 months' Manly sojourn. And the Hume highway between Sydney and Canberra looks like a rubbish tip, strewn with bottles, cans, plastic bags, McDonalds' wrappers and so on.

I haven't been to Adelaide for 15 years or so, but one of the memories I have is of the tram down to Glenelg, where every square inch of the fences, walls, stops, signs and utility boxes enroute was obliterated by graffiti.

And I see - after posting here today - that NSW is considering banning spray paint sales because of it!
Yes, it does depend on where you are. But it's funny how you can generalise when referring to things that are good, but not about the bad things - people shout you down if you make that mistake!

Where I lived in Sydney there was grafitti, litter, not much wildlife (unless you count the local drunks) but there were lots of bars, trendy restaurants, quirky shops, and the harbour. Where I live in Brisbane there isn't grafitti (at least, not on my street), nor is there litter (at least, not on my street) and there's lots of wildlife. There are also bars, restaurants and quirky shops and although there is no harbour there is the river foreshore. Maybe if I'd lived in Brisbane instead of Sydney when we first arrived here I too would have had a rosy-tinted view of Australia
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Flocks of black and white cockatoos and the amazing noise they make... a parrot hopping about the garden eating my kangaroo paws... being able to leave stuff unattended and it's still there when you get back... having the shopping packed... endless blue skies in summer... knowing that you can organise a barbeque weeks in advance and the weather will be good... free parking, even at the hospital...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I get Galahs, Ringneck's (28's) and lots of small birds on my fence, and there are always Corellas, Black cockatoos, and Rainbow lorikeets flying around too.

When the house is finished and we move in, they'll hopefully still visit

I've heard there are certain things you can do to attract them i.e plants (They love bottle brush), and of course birld food etc, but obviously not to the point where they take over the place
Having fruit trees helps, we have a loquat tree that the parrots spend ages on carefully eating the fruit while holding it with one claw.. sometimes they can't be arsed to eat it and lob it onto the path below.. also attracts possums.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:55 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Having fruit trees helps, we have a loquat tree that the parrots spend ages on carefully eating the fruit while holding it with one claw.. sometimes they can't be arsed to eat it and lob it onto the path below.. also attracts possums.
sounds awfull mate...wouldnt want to live by you

any killer bees by you?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

The view every morning!
Attached Thumbnails Surprising things you appreciate now your in Oz.-103868580cl1181615700.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:02 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

flippin hell chris thats a bootifull sight,some people dont know how lucky they are eh??

do you ears pop every day?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aston man
sounds awfull mate...wouldnt want to live by you

any killer bees by you?
Still alive ain't I!

Neighbour has three beehives... seem pretty placid to me, haven't pissed them off yet though, far worse are the bloody mosquitoes. I have been bitten by mosquitoes on almost every continent of the world and none are as small and annoying as the buggers in the garden... no one mentioned them or the gazillions of millipedes that appear everywhere! They are Portuguese apparently... wish they had stayed there!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:07 pm
Banned

weve had the lot, but mate..its flippin lovely up here isnt it...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

flippin hell chris thats a bootifull sight,some people dont know how lucky they are eh??

Yup i

do you ears pop every day?
Yup, i wake up every day and that is the first thing i see (or the Mrs.. depending on which side i am facing!)

to me they both rate as the best views in the world
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

weve had the lot, but mate..its flippin lovely up here isnt it...
Yup.. still pinch myself every now and then just to make sure i am not dreaming
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The different "aviary" birds in my back yard.
The fact that the bin men come on bank holidays even christmas
The fact I actually watch a sport and actually love it, and the winter, because of it.
Also I can still see snow in the winter, but we have a short drive and hassle free parking to the beach in summer....
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:27 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I get Galahs, Ringneck's (28's) and lots of small birds on my fence, and there are always Corellas, Black cockatoos, and Rainbow lorikeets flying around too.

When the house is finished and we move in, they'll hopefully still visit

I've heard there are certain things you can do to attract them i.e plants (They love bottle brush), and of course birld food etc, but obviously not to the point where they take over the place
Saw some of my mates on my fence today, but by the time I got my camera out, half of them had b*ggered off
Attached Thumbnails Surprising things you appreciate now your in Oz.-09.10.07-006.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:29 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Saw some of my mates on my fence today, but by the time I got my camera out, half of them had b*ggered off
most people invite their mates in for coffee not make them sit on a fence
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:44 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
most people invite their mates in for coffee not make them sit on a fence
Don't think Galahs are keen on coffee
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:03 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think Galahs are keen on coffee
ah but have you asked them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.