Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

stuck and frustrated

stuck and frustrated

Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of
Default stuck and frustrated

Im sure im not the only one in the position of visa in place but cant sell home, im so frustrated at the moment, mentally were ready to migrate but the whole world seems to be against us successfully achieving our aim.Cant sell house, need equity for move, but exchange rates far from ideal even if we sell now probably wouldnt transfer the money across, warnings coming in from others that the employment situation in Oz is in decline, making cash to survive all the more important on arrival, and to top it all, the media here(uK) have been reporting that Australias going to get hotter year on year making droughts far worse and global warming will cause sea level rises of the size to severely affect WA's ability to support life! How much more of this can they throw at us? I dont know what to believe, am I making a huge mistake even contemplating migration? Then theres pensions, healthcare etc etc. And to top it all the missus career has finally begun to take off and im in a well paid job that i cant stand really.I could really do with some positive news for a change.Rant over, thanks for listening!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

fairydust300980 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: stuck and frustrated

Sorry to hear you feel so rubbish, im not in you position but it can be so frustrating when the world is full of negatives.
Yes the economy is pants and employment, exchange rate, ect ect is on a major downer, but what are you willing to do to ensure you and your family have the best life possible?
At some point your house will sell, and the economy will improve, no one can tell you when these things will happen but will you grab them and get on with your new life or wait to see if you get a better offer?

As for global warming, nothing will change that, and i can't see that any of us on this forum will see the sea levels rise dramatically enough to effect us to such a dramatic level in our life times.

Remember the reasons why you chose to emmigrate, Oz is still in a much better financial and economic position that the UK or US could dream to be in, and if your living for your pension, you need to re-think your priorities.

All the best, every cloud and all that!

Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG you sound just like me

We have been unable to sell our house, we have recently decided to go down the renting option for the forseable and take some equity out of our house.

My husband's spouse visa runs out in Feb 2010, my eldest child leaves primary school this July so it seems like it is now or never this summer.......BUT......... and it is a big one, because my husband is on a spouse visa he doesn't have a trade (he is a salesman) and I am like you, reading all the stories about job decline in OZ I am beginning to wonder if we are mad to even think about going whilst we both have jobs in this country.

As I said before we feel we are in a now or never situation, I'm not sure if it's a major wobble/cold feet, call it what you will but my head is in a wizz

Sorry I haven't been any help just felt I needed to reply to your thread.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris1386
Im sure im not the only one in the position of visa in place but cant sell home, im so frustrated at the moment, mentally were ready to migrate but the whole world seems to be against us successfully achieving our aim.Cant sell house, need equity for move, but exchange rates far from ideal even if we sell now probably wouldnt transfer the money across, warnings coming in from others that the employment situation in Oz is in decline, making cash to survive all the more important on arrival, and to top it all, the media here(uK) have been reporting that Australias going to get hotter year on year making droughts far worse and global warming will cause sea level rises of the size to severely affect WA's ability to support life! How much more of this can they throw at us? I dont know what to believe, am I making a huge mistake even contemplating migration? Then theres pensions, healthcare etc etc. And to top it all the missus career has finally begun to take off and im in a well paid job that i cant stand really.I could really do with some positive news for a change.Rant over, thanks for listening!
You could be telling my story! I think theres alot of us in a similar situation, Im on a good wage and my wife is working too, Not having the little cash job each week is going to scare the hell out of me I think!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

My mother always told me not to worry as there is always someone out there worse off than you and it is too true.We are stuck in South Africa(believe me,way shittier than UK right now),we have 2 businesses,a commercial property and a house to sell.So there you go,someone worse off than you if you want to look at it that way! Is the glass half full or half empty ? My motto is...........it only takes one buyer and he/she is out there somewhere.Not many people seem to go past the 18mth mark when trying to sell up so we are 8 months in with a bit of time to spare if that is the case.Anyhoo........now we have to make a validation trip in 2 weeks time which is gr8 but we still have to come back here to SA.Then we will hit the market with a big stick and we will be gone for good by christmas.....we will and we can do it........good karma coming your way!Don't sweat the small stuff!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future

We are in similar situation, have til Jan 2010 to go. What is the saying: better to regret what you have done in your life than spending the rest of your life regretting what you haven't done.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: stuck and frustrated

Originally Posted by surreyfamily
We are in similar situation, have til Jan 2010 to go. What is the saying: better to regret what you have done in your life than spending the rest of your life regretting what you haven't done.
Absolutely

It took us 10 years from deciding we wanted to do this to actually arriving ... and it is totally worth EVERY MINUTE of that wait

Remember the reasons why you boarded this roller-coaster

Keep smiling and good luck to all
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Australias going to get hotter year on year making droughts far worse and global warming will cause sea level rises of the size to severely affect WA's ability to support life!

Well this ones easy to deal with...just buy a house at least 20 metres or so above sea level....then the worst that can happen is you end up with a nice beachfront property!

On a more serious note ..only you can realy answer your dilema...whilst timing seems unfortunate for you, most of these problems will exist in both countries, so in the main you can discount them. Then it is just a question of weighing up your current 'security' against your desire to move.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:22 am
Just Joined

davejules&aoife is an unknown quantity at this point

Another option would be validate your visa and then wait out the recession. You will have five years to get across from validation i think? That way you will not be worried about finding a job in a recession and you can save up your wifes higher wages while waiting for the recession to level out and the housing market to steady - though it may take 2+ years. Good Luck!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

the media here(uK) have been reporting that Australias going to get hotter year on year making droughts far worse and global warming will cause sea level rises of the size to severely affect WA's ability to support life!
In the three years I've been here the summers have got slightly cooler each year. However, I think you'll find they are talking about thousands of years, not the next 20 so I wouldn't worry too much. Just before I left I heard a report which said that within the next 10 years all of East Anglia could be underwater. I believe it's still there but obviously we still have 7 years to go. I'd leave before Cambridge becomes a sea side town.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fairydust300980

Remember the reasons why you chose to emmigrate, Oz is still in a much better financial and economic position that the UK or US could dream to be in, and if your living for your pension, you need to re-think your priorities.

Not if you had a decent job in the first place. In WA they are now seeing 200 applicants for a Deli Assistant job, thats how bad it has got. And has for Pensions, the Ozzie super annuation scheme is scary. People are watching theirs go down daily. Give me my old scheme in the UK anyday.

I was in a similar situation, I had a house to sell and I also had a really good job. I gave up the job and we are letting the house in the UK (thankfully the rental market is good at the moment). I am a skilled worker but am struggling to find work in Perth at the moment because no-one is hiring.

So my advice is don't bother unless you have work lined up.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:19 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spilko
Not if you had a decent job in the first place. In WA they are now seeing 200 applicants for a Deli Assistant job, thats how bad it has got. And has for Pensions, the Ozzie super annuation scheme is scary. People are watching theirs go down daily. Give me my old scheme in the UK anyday.

I was in a similar situation, I had a house to sell and I also had a really good job. I gave up the job and we are letting the house in the UK (thankfully the rental market is good at the moment). I am a skilled worker but am struggling to find work in Perth at the moment because no-one is hiring.

So my advice is don't bother unless you have work lined up.
I don't have a house to sell but I am about to resign from a good job to walk into the unknown. It wouldn't occur to me to wait until I have work lined up in Australia, that could take forever if at all & surely if work is scarce employers will want people already settled, not those who aren't even in the country yet? Imo life is too short to wait any longer than I've already waited. Yes it's a big risk and am sure I'll never make the money I make now in Australia but there's more to life than having masses of dosh. So long as we can manage the basics that's good enough for me. I can't bloomin' wait to be temporarily unemployed & homeless - and freeeeeeeee from the corporate chains!! 8 weeks and counting