Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Stressed beyond belief

Wikiposts

Stressed beyond belief

Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stressed beyond belief

Originally Posted by deedee_b
So true... If you haven't looked at it or used it for 3 or so months...charity it.
Best of luck..
Have given away a lot in the last few months and feel a lot lighter for it.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck !!! I will have a glass of wine too just to stop you feeling lonely! LOL! (any excuse)...

Just chuck in everything that you can and make a note on the box or however you are recording it...

Its harrowing and nerve wracking and a total upheaval, but nothing good comes easy (or so the saying says!)...

My advice would be to chip away at the whole packing process, don't think of the whole thing (overwhelming) and just keep putting one foot infront of the other and without realising you have suddenly walked a mile or so!

Best of luck and safe journey.. tis lovely and warm over here and the beaches/weather are just waiting for you all to land

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Oct 20th 2009 at 12:36 am.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:30 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man, it's posts like this that maske me want to start packing NOW despite not moving until next year!! I have already managed to beat the husband into going through clothes etc and we've taken loads to the charity shop already. I'm doing the garage before the winter kicks in and finally chucking all of that crap that we never use..because it's in the garage! If we haven't needed it in five years of living here, we don't need it. I do dread to think of trying to get everything we want to bring into as few boxes as possible though!

Sending you karma for happy packing!

Tx
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Have given away a lot in the last few months and feel a lot lighter for it.
It's almost theraputic...
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:37 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
I have had to live up to my username and have a glass of wine. The shippers are here 1st thing in the morning and I have never been so stressed about anything. It has taken a month of planning, cleaning, disinfecting but still, here I am, the night before very unready for the packing tomorrow.

I can't believe there has been so many tip runs, so many things given away and still I could sit and cry at what is left to sort out. The kids are unpacking everything I have packed, I am re-cleaning the same stuff and the neighbours are 'popping in' with cards and presents. I feel like screaming!!!!

I for one won't be going to bed tonight so feel free to chat to me.

Anyway, the gloves are going back on and the Jeyes Fluid is being applied, wish me luck. x
Just think you are nearly at airport stage, let go of those cases breath in and relax! Have a glass of wine on the plane and chill out.

Carol
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:47 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

I have had to live up to my username and have a glass of wine. The shippers are here 1st thing in the morning and I have never been so stressed about anything. It has taken a month of planning, cleaning, disinfecting but still, here I am, the night before very unready for the packing tomorrow.

I can't believe there has been so many tip runs, so many things given away and still I could sit and cry at what is left to sort out. The kids are unpacking everything I have packed, I am re-cleaning the same stuff and the neighbours are 'popping in' with cards and presents. I feel like screaming!!!!

I for one won't be going to bed tonight so feel free to chat to me.

Anyway, the gloves are going back on and the Jeyes Fluid is being applied, wish me luck. x
Can you bribe the kids to help you with some money or a large surf board at the other side? Just a thought, kids are easily bribed.
You are a brave women I might be in the same myself soon.

Carolx

Where are you emigrating to? You are a good person to know.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:49 am
ian

Originally Posted by mabozar
Can you bribe the kids to help you with some money or a large surf board at the other side? Just a thought, kids are easily bribed.

Carolx

Missed out position from that last quote that's what body pumping does to your brain.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:29 am
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Give the lot to charity.
What the whole £18K worth! I do my bit for charity but draw the line to giving them the lot. My daughter has just said, we are like homeless people mum aren't we. ( I will explain that we really aren't that hard done by)

Originally Posted by Juliecabs

And enjoy the reunion with hubby

Julie. x
I will Well,l he will more!

[QUOTE=ozhappy981;8029993

Quick tip (not sure if it's too late

Spend your time sorting and packing suitcases, but don't waste it on cleaning with Jeyes Fluid.[/QUOTE]

Yep, too late hun, it all got cleaned to death.It will take so long to get the vile smell off me that I will be meeting my husband at the airport after 7 months and he'll be saying 'not tonight dear!'

Originally Posted by Haysies
We will be doing exactly the same on Thursday - I feel for you - and had a little tear reading your post.

Good luck with it all - when do you fly and where are you off to ?

Sara x
Good luck for Thursday. The preparation is worse, the shippers were golden. We are going to Bowral, it's in the Southern Highlands of NSW and it's not too far from where hubby works. He says we will like it there but is prepared to move if need be. Where are you off to?

Originally Posted by sallyclaire

To the OP - karma sent honey & just keep looking forward to being reunited with your husband, you will get through it
Thanks, it really has brought a tear to read these replies, nothing to do with being over emotional after a couple of glasses of wine of course!

Originally Posted by emelems
Good luck !!! I will have a glass of wine too just to stop you feeling lonely! LOL! (any excuse)..

A girl after my own heart!

Best of luck and safe journey.. tis lovely and warm over here and the beaches/weather are just waiting for you all to land

The weather today here is raining and it is so cold. I am in front of the fire with a glass of wine and I must admit it is heaven. But, a glass of wine is great wherever!

Em x
Originally Posted by RedT
Oh man, it's posts like this that maske me want to start packing NOW despite not moving until next year!! If we haven't needed it in five years of living here, we don't need it. I do dread to think of trying to get everything we want to bring into as few boxes as possible though!

Tx
Thanks appreciated. I would say it's never too early and definitely get rid of anything you haven;t looked at in 6 months. I had curtains and bed linen etc that I kept because it was M&S/House of Fraser/John Lewis......it was 'Flowery would never be put up again sh*te'

Just think you are nearly at airport stage, let go of those cases breath in and relax! Have a glass of wine on the plane and chill out.

Carol
Sometimes you just have to listen to advice and yrs has been the most sensible. x

Carolx

See post above, NSW. Not sure its the destination of choice but I will trust the OH on this one. At the moment after a 'Phew Drink' I'd happily go anywhere. It's not too hard doiing it on yr own and I am dead chuffed that I have done it tbh. That will shut the old man up eh?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:47 am
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, my post above got a wee bit twisted but you get the drift!The wine is in full flow now everything has now gone you see, bound to be errors, understandable
Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Haysies is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet you're glad that it's all packed up now!

We are off to Sydney - Hills district - flying out on Saturday.

Good luck with it all and enjoy the wine, I'm sure my liver has shrivelled up in the last few weeks with all the 'farewell drinks' - I think I've said goodbye to the same people about 3 x times so far - each time with booze involved!

Good luck with it all

Sara x
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deedee_b
It's almost theraputic...
Youre right. All but for a TV, fridge, tin opener, saucepan, a bit of cutlery.....
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, my post above got a wee bit twisted but you get the drift!The wine is in full flow now everything has now gone you see, bound to be errors, understandable
Well done. Onward & upwards now
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man, it's posts like this that maske me want to start packing NOW despite not moving until next year!! I have already managed to beat the husband into going through clothes etc and we've taken loads to the charity shop already. I'm doing the garage before the winter kicks in and finally chucking all of that crap that we never use..because it's in the garage! If we haven't needed it in five years of living here, we don't need it. I do dread to think of trying to get everything we want to bring into as few boxes as possible though!

Tx
Yeah, start now...otherwise it just feels like you're continually packing near the end...I missed out on some family get togethers and outings because of trying to get it all done--nothing like the husband showing up with the kids at yet another extended family dinner in those last 2 months, saying, "She's too busy trying to finish to get away...can we bring her a plate home?"

And yeah, the local charity shop got lots of our gear. We also sold furniture on the local online site...some of it just a couple of years old...we only shipped boxes over...about 250 cu ft worth, so we really pared down. Ah well, clutter busting is good for you...

Glass of wine: good for you...now it's done and you can look forward to the next phase...cheers...
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:26 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, start now...otherwise it just feels like you're continually packing near the end...I missed out on some family get togethers and outings because of trying to get it all done--nothing like the husband showing up with the kids at yet another extended family dinner in those last 2 months, saying, "She's too busy trying to finish to get away...can we bring her a plate home?"

And yeah, the local charity shop got lots of our gear. We also sold furniture on the local online site...some of it just a couple of years old...we only shipped boxes over...about 250 cu ft worth, so we really pared down. Ah well, clutter busting is good for you...

Glass of wine: good for you...now it's done and you can look forward to the next phase...cheers...
Can i ask how on earth you work out how many boxes/cu feet you need?! Friends of ours returned to Oz recently after 8 years in London and ordered something like 20 boxes for their stuff (personal items, they sold all their furniture etc) but ended up needing loads more AND chucking out loads of stuff.

thanks!

Tx
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Can i ask how on earth you work out how many boxes/cu feet you need?! Friends of ours returned to Oz recently after 8 years in London and ordered something like 20 boxes for their stuff (personal items, they sold all their furniture etc) but ended up needing loads more AND chucking out loads of stuff.

thanks!

Tx
That's basically what happened to us. We estimated about 200 cu ft at first. We were estimating just as we went along and packed (i.e. I'll need 20 2 cu ft boxes, 15 4 cu ft boxes etc.). But we ended up needing more and we still had to leave a lot behind. Our budget set the limit of what we could bring. Shipping from Canada is a lot more expensive than from England.

Good luck...pack the essentials and whatever else you have room for, then you can bring it too...otherwise...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.