Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:10 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of
Default Stop saying HOME!!!!

Aaaaarrgghhhhh - conjure up in mind's eye of Tyke gnashing keyboard!!!

Please,pleaseplease - those who live here in Oz - STOP calling the UK HOME!!!!

I just seen quite a few threads with "Back Home" in the text.

I dunno if it is a psychological trick but when we moved here we instantly stopped calling the UK home. Not as though we have forgotten our roots roots.

Home is where your heart is /hang yer hat/keep yer herd of Bedlington Terriers.:curse::curse::curse:

Last edited by tyke; Jan 10th 2008 at 12:11 pm. Reason: Bundy's rum.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:21 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop saying HOME!!!!

Originally Posted by tyke

I dunno if it is a psychological trick but when we moved here we instantly stopped calling the UK home. Not as though we have forgotten our roots roots.

Home is where your heart is /hang yer hat/keep yer herd of Bedlington Terriers.:curse::curse::curse:
WTF???? i have family who have lived here over 20 years and still refer to UK as home in general conversation. they know where their home is but whats the harm in saying it refering to UK in general chat.

Nev
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Is that an order??? I think you need a chill pill. What a ridiculous rant!!
What's wrong with calling UK home - we have two homes now - gosh I even know a first generation Australian of Scottish descent who calls Scotland home! What difference does it make
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

"Home is where the heart is"

And my heart is most definitely in Blighty. Yours may not be, but mine is.

If you are having this much trouble maybe you're in denial. What was that about the stages of grief?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:35 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlion
WTF???? i have family who have lived here over 20 years and still refer to UK as home in general conversation. they know where their home is but whats the harm in saying it refering to UK in general chat.

Nev
home ,home on the range
where the gear and the hooded top play.
it just aint so fine
so dont mention it all the time
were here, and thats where were gonna stay

i should of been a song writer you know...

Last edited by aston man; Jan 10th 2008 at 12:51 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:37 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

mmmmm when we arrived in OZ all of 3 1/2 yrs ago, we may an effort never to say the UK was "home", never in conversation have we ever said back home etc, I reckon it made us settle quicker in a sort of sub concious way, home is certainly here in OZ never in the UK.
Jenny
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:37 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
home ,home on the range
where the dear and antelope play.
it just aint so fine
so dont mention it all the time
were here and that where gonna stay

i should of been a song writer you know...
I know, the vodka has worn off and im on the port now, that little ditty will be in me head all night now, you song myster you

Nev
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:39 pm
redlion

Originally Posted by jensteve
mmmmm when we arrived in OZ all of 3 1/2 yrs ago, we may an effort never to say the UK was "home", never in conversation have we ever said back home etc, I reckon it made us settle quicker in a sort of sub concious way, home is certainly here in OZ never in the UK.
Jenny

Did you bring that three star jumper with you?? just kidding, couldnt resist

Nev
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Back home I used too ....

Whoops! ...

I had to go back to the UK not long ago and referred to it as 'home' once and it was questioned. I KNOW exactly where my 'home' is, but admit it is easy to slip!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:43 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Back home I used too ....

Whoops! ...

I had to go back to the UK not long ago and referred to it as 'home' once and it was questioned. I KNOW exactly where my 'home' is, but admit it is easy to slip!
i say back there...i know people love it ,thats just fine by me,who am i to say..
me i couldnt give a flying one about the place....
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

But not all of us are intending to stay in Aus permanentlyand UK IS home for us. It is where my family are and where I want to be long term.
Although the majority of you in the barbie are trying to make Aus home some us of are not. I sometimes feel a bit excluded because of that, but hey, I guess I have to live with it.

I can understand why you would want to do it though.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aston man
i say back there...i know people love it ,thats just fine by me,who am i to say..
me i couldnt give a flying one about the place....
Will remember that one, but have taken on the term of 'the dump' of recent ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:49 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

WITHYA on this !!

Home is where the heart is , not where you left the placenta !!!!

My heart is HERE !!!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
WITHYA on this !!

Home is where the heart is , not where you left the placenta !!!!

My heart is HERE !!!
Did you ever find your placenta by the way? ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the reasons that I don't call myself an expat. The standard definition of an expat is one who's only away from 'home' temporarily. I'm an immigrant ... and bloody proud of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.