Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:18 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stop saying HOME!!!!

Originally Posted by tyke
Aaaaarrgghhhhh - conjure up in mind's eye of Tyke gnashing keyboard!!!

Please,pleaseplease - those who live here in Oz - STOP calling the UK HOME!!!!

I just seen quite a few threads with "Back Home" in the text.

I dunno if it is a psychological trick but when we moved here we instantly stopped calling the UK home. Not as though we have forgotten our roots roots.

Home is where your heart is /hang yer hat/keep yer herd of Bedlington Terriers.:curse::curse::curse:
Why would this annoy you so much??

We are 100% settled in Oz and intend to remain for ever and a day, BUT I always refer to the UK as home in conversation as I lived there for 36 years. I think it is a bit sad for those that do the "When we stepped off the plane we NEVER called UK home" makes it look like you are a ashamed of where you are from!! We not ashamed just dont want to live there anymore!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funkey Monkey
For years after I left 'home' I refered to my parent's house as 'home'. I was very settled in my house and it was indeed where my heart was but I think the slip of the tongue was because that was where I had spent the last 18 years of my life and had been happy there. I dont think that because people use emotive language to describe where they were raised and mostlikely where their family is means that they see the place where they are now as any less like home.

Live and let live language police !!!
100 per cent agree - I still refer to my parents house as 'home' and it happens to be in England. I was born and grew up in a house full of love and it will always affectionally be my 'home'. People define 'home' differently, some people think that just by living in a house or country it ultimately becomes 'home', where as for me it's where I feel loved, wanted and a place I like being so I have two homes, one in England and one in Australia. I don't call England home for me it's not the country, the country is just the place I happen to live, and Australia is the place I live, I just happen to have a 'home' here too - mind you, these are my thoughts today by next week they could be different
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:22 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
I lived in the Cotswolds for 15 years ... like you say, each to their own.
And I lived (survived) in Perth for 5 years, and yes, each to their own
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:00 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm - I haven't actually mentioned either way what I feel about the big 'home' debate - I was referring to the way that certain people who have returned to the UK feel drawn back to the Oz forums like moths to a light.

But since you picked on me, Flea.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
yet as soon as you up sticks and leave for another it is suddenly "home"??
Well obviously that's the case for you, but it isn't for everyone. I don't feel this big attachment to England the way some others do. Not saying there's anything wrong with feeling that attachment, just that it's not a given. Home is quite literally where my wife and son and house and dog are. I mean, all this quoting Rupert Brooke poetry and the like (not singling anyone out - just making a point) - the day I start doing that, drive me to the airport.

I think it is more a case of trying to convince yourself you have done the right thing.
Personally ... I didn't need any convincing.

Nothng wrong with it if it works for you to deny your past.
I think you've hit on something here - there are those that wallow in the past ... and those that look forwards. Guess I'm one of the latter.

For me, i feel it a betrayal of my history, my family still back there, and ME as a person. As someone else said, theres nothing wrong with having 2 homes and dumping and turning your back on the one that saw you through most of your life somehow doesnt seem right.
Betrayal of your history? What does that mean? That anyone who calls Australia home is a traitor to 'Great' Britain and should be sent to the tower pending a humiliating execution?

The fact that you could call somewhere outside the UK - 'home' - does not demean the primary school you went to, the first person you kissed or your appearance on Blankety Blank. I've always thought of myself as a citizen of Earth - I am not defined by the country I was born in or any of the many countries I lived in, in later life. I support England in the cricket and the rugby, Australia in soccer, the Lakers in basketball, and the Rangers in ice hockey. It's all well and good to move here and decide you don't like the place and then come over all nationalistic about England - but how did you feel when you were preparing for the move?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Tyke, But No I won't and It's shorter than saying Scotland!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:14 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass

Sorry Tyke, But No I won't and It's shorter than saying Scotland!

:
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:53 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

some of you guys crack me right up!

Maybe the OP is just trying to stop the confusion - it certainly does get a bit confusing on this particular forum when someone says 'back home' and you can't figure out where they are refering too as they may have an obsure place on there profile like Mars

So I am a bit weird - I am in the UK - I am a Kiwi by birth and the first 19 years, then I moved to Oz. I called Oz home pretty quickly - it felt right to me.

I will always love NZ and support NZ sports over Oz - so does that cancel out calling Australia home??

But then I have been here longer than I was ever on Oz, so by rights shouldn't I call UK home? No - because to me personally, it never felt right. Not to give the UK a hard time, but I came here for a working holiday and met the hubby (as you do) so I never really wanted to be here long term.

Basically I still call Australia home - I am going home soon and I am thrilled to bits. I have missed my home and look forward to going back.

I don't think you can tell people that home is where you live - but maybe we could try harder to not confuse the poster

Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

saw a real estate agent the other night

"where are you from?" he asks, obviously alluding to our English accents

"Australind" I answered

He was a bit stumped then.....

Annoys me that people assume because you've got an English (or whatever) accent you've just arrived.

When I spoke to them on the phone the other guy was on about the pool and how a lot of English people want pools. OH said I should have pointed out we are Aus citizens!!!!!! (well, almost!)
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie

"Australind" I answered

Annoys me that people assume because you've got an English (or whatever) accent you've just arrived.

When I spoke to them on the phone the other guy was on about the pool and how a lot of English people want pools. OH said I should have pointed out we are Aus citizens!!!!!! (well, almost!)

That was like us last weekend, we went shopping for a bed and the guy in the showroom asked both of us where we were from (my OH is an Aussie) and I said our suburb and the look on his face was priceless! Then I had to Say Scotland anyway because he was baffled. That's why I don't see the point of getting all stressed about Australia/UK because as soon as I open my mouth they ask oh where are you from and it doesn't matter a jot that I've been here nearly half my life! I'll never be Australian to the Australians even though I've been one since 1992! I'm a Scot that lives in Australia but with citizenship of both! Perfect!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie

"Australind" I answered

I do that all the time. I meet someone for the first time and they obviously hear my Canadian accent. When they ask where we're from I always say Adelaide. I just love the look they get on their faces!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:13 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have never lived in the house my mother lives in now but it is one of many places i call home!!

Home is where i grew up, its where my mother is, its where i brought up my children and it's where i am now with my husband!

Home is whatever I want it to be
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I always say 'the UK' not by concious effort though, it just comes out that way.

When I say home, I'm usually referring to my house not a place.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:27 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tyke
Aaaaarrgghhhhh - conjure up in mind's eye of Tyke gnashing keyboard!!!

I just seen quite a few threads with "Back Home" in the text.

I dunno if it is a psychological trick but when we moved here we instantly stopped calling the UK home. Not as though we have forgotten our roots roots.

Home is where your heart is /hang yer hat/keep yer herd of Bedlington Terriers.:curse::curse::curse:
I am very, very happy here ...and call where I am now 'home'...as it is my home - it where I love, and where I want to be

BUT ....some people may not feel very settled yet...may - consciously, or unconsciously still think of the UK as being ..in your own words 'where (their)heart is'. They might not even like it here...or feel homesick.

I'm glad you feel happy and at home, as I do - but try to remember that not everyone here feels the same.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:28 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
I am very, very happy here ...and call where I am now 'home'...as it is my home - it where I love, and where I want to be

BUT ....some people may not feel very settled yet...may - consciously, or unconsciously still think of the UK as being ..in your own words 'where (their)heart is'. They might not even like it here...or feel homesick.

I'm glad you feel happy and at home, as I do - but try to remember that not everyone here feels the same.
Cas in sensible post shocker
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:30 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Cas in sensible post shocker
Sometimes I make a lot of sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.