Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Still glad you made the move ??

Still glad you made the move ??

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:56 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still glad you made the move ??

Originally Posted by cresta57
We're approaching Five, no regrets at all. Just wish it had been a descision we'd made earlier instead of one forced upon us
Forced?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:01 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
Forced?

Yea when a parent is diagnosed as terminal it kind of forces the issue doesn't it?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:03 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea when a parent is diagnosed as terminal it kind of forces the issue doesn't it?
OOhh. Yeah, everything changes at that point.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the rough

Arrived 7 years ago last month and had a great three years.
We knew we loved it from the start, lots of family and friends here so that made it easier but still a wrench from all the familiar stuff back in Scotland. Got Citizenship and passports but in retrospect dont think we really appreciated how good a decision it had been to upgrade to Oz.
We had to nip over to SE Asia for a year that turned into four and a half but arrived back in Perth 6 weeks ago and just cant believe how at home we feel. Better than ever. We think it took moving away from Perth for us to really realise what a great part of the world this is. We had a great life in the UK, we didn't leave cos we didn't like it anymore. We just thought our lives were a bit pedestrian and we could see it all laid out in front of us and it was a bit scary to think we'd have lived and died on the same spot...........
Honestly it was a kissing the tarmac scenario when we landed back in Perth !
Tonight we walked round the Swan River from the Bell Tower round to South Perth and went for dinner in Spaghis on Mends............walking back was like paradise with all the city lights twinkling.........For all the unsettling stuff of applications and waiting and "wearing the brown corduroys" We were thanking our lucky stars we'd taken the (huge) risk all those years ago and made the move.
It's so good to be back in Oz. Wouldn't change a thing.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Rob McLean will become famous soon enough

Very
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Cresta how's it going mate ?
We moved about the same time as Cresta and from the same area - ish

Now in Feb 2004,
I gave up a thriving business with several employees (who now own & run it cause I gave it to 'em - well they helped to build it ), the house in the country, the sportscar for the wife and my motorbikes.
Moved to Melbourne and had to pay 12 months rent up front - no credit history and no job, I then spent the best part of $7000 and 6 months doing exams I had done when I was a lad, to gain my Australian gas fitters license.
I sent off over 100 job applications and had several interviews before landing a job with an industrial gases company ( didn't need my Gas license ) in August 04 and have never been happier ( I ain't worked a weekend since getting here )
Would I go back ????

NOT BLOODY LIKELY
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:08 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi
Cresta how's it going mate ?
We moved about the same time as Cresta and from the same area - ish

Now in Feb 2004,
I gave up a thriving business with several employees (who now own & run it cause I gave it to 'em - well they helped to build it ), the house in the country, the sportscar for the wife and my motorbikes.
Moved to Melbourne and had to pay 12 months rent up front - no credit history and no job, I then spent the best part of $7000 and 6 months doing exams I had done when I was a lad, to gain my Australian gas fitters license.
I sent off over 100 job applications and had several interviews before landing a job with an industrial gases company ( didn't need my Gas license ) in August 04 and have never been happier ( I ain't worked a weekend since getting here )
Would I go back ????

NOT BLOODY LIKELY
Jee's Rossi, your back as well! Good to hear an update, your reasons were very similar to mine, just your need was more urgent Hope everything was O.K when you finally made it out here.
Nice to see your doing it so tough, no weekend work pah What do you do, sit & drink beer all weekend?
How's Linda?
I was only looking at this old thread yesterday
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Yes... But there are days I miss 'things' more than I expected to...

I wouldnt move back permanently but wish I could go back for a long weekend, see who I wanted to and come back. Its a long way you know..

I think the first year must be the worst... Trying to make new friends and working out the lovely ones from the 2 faced shallow ones ( I have met both types and they show their true colours in the end!) Trying to get a social life, a place to call home, used to the driving etiquette ( none!), the shopping etc etc etc is hard...

I am staying though!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

After a very difficult first year and a less difficult second year I can honestly say yes, I'm still glad we made the move.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

The first two or three years were a struggle. We had 2 toddlers and another 6 months after we arrived. My OH started work the day after we arrived, so work wasn't a problem. We had never been sick in our lives but for the first couple of years if it wasn't him it was me! Now, after 42 years, I have 4 grown sons, who have very successful and happy lives and I'm happy. Though I would change being widowed at 47 if I could! Anyway, I don't ever regret coming.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Jee's Rossi, your back as well! Good to hear an update, your reasons were very similar to mine, just your need was more urgent Hope everything was O.K when you finally made it out here.
Nice to see your doing it so tough, no weekend work pah What do you do, sit & drink beer all weekend?
How's Linda?
God that meet seems like another lifetime.
donna
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by donna
God that meet seems like another lifetime.
donna
It was another lifetime
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Oz is fine, just another country really good and bad, blah blah blah...

Just wish it was about 10,000 klm closer to the rest of the planet.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here three years. I have no regrets coming here or the experience I have had here. For the first two and half years I felt settled enough, but the last six months, I am itching to leave. Australia is a nice enough country. But now I fulfilled my material ambitions - big house, fancy car, saw some nice sights, I miss the UK and want to go back. I miss the ability to travel and the sense of history and of course family and friends.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

How's Linda?
There's some good looking blokes in those photo's eh ???

Linda's great mate, and we're both working full time.
Our boy, Gavin, who was 18 and didn't want to emigrate with us changed his mind 2 years ago and emigrated here in his own right as a skilled migrant..... so take heart those of you leaving grown kids behind in the UK.....they see sense in the end (either that or they follow the cheap loans )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.