British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Sterilise the underclass (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/sterilise-underclass-638218/)

Swerv-o Oct 31st 2009 1:00 am

Re: Sterilise the underclass

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 8059817)
So you dont work hard? I don't try hard. Not everyone can make it there are so many variables in life and working hard has sweet FA to do with it

It's a good start though...

S

Thydney Oct 31st 2009 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8059820)
It's a good start though...

S

It is, I tell my kids that everyday.

JackTheLad Oct 31st 2009 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 8059817)
So you dont work hard? I don't try hard. Not everyone can make it there are so many variables in life and working hard has sweet FA to do with it

I'll tell you the two most important variables. Work hard and work smart.

But to get back to the point of the thread, there are some people who can't be arsed to do either.

JTL

Swerv-o Oct 31st 2009 1:11 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 8059826)
I'll tell you the two most important variables. Work hard and work smart.

But to get back to the point of the thread, there are some people who can't be arsed to do either.

JTL

Yes, though I still think it's a symptom of the modern 'instant gratification' society we live in. nobody seems to want to do the 'hard yards' any more - everybody wants to start at the top of the pay scale, or have an Alfa Romeo as their first car, or the 4 bed house in 1/2 an acre of land overlooking the northern beaches as their first house.

What happened to working up from the bottom? I bet if you talk to Alan Sugar he would tell you some stories about what he had to do to make himself a success.

S

JackTheLad Oct 31st 2009 1:17 am

Originally Posted by framac67 (Post 8059801)
So the old boys network doesnt exist and the conservative party is full of geniuses.:blink: The royal family bred super intelligent offspring as they rise to the top of their professions in whatever field they chose.

There is not really an old boys network in Australia. At least not in Melbourne and Brisbane where I've worked. It might be different in Canberra and Sydney.

As I said before, whether these people that you are griping about earned their money legitimately or not, they have it. Leave it alone. Its not our concern. Its never going to change. As long as they pay their taxes

My points are about the real world. Workers, wages, getting on in life. Promotion, applying yourself.

You haven't explained why you think I'm on a different planet, for considering some people are slackers who could have improved their situation but chose not to.

You're just coming up with mad rants about royalty and calling me an alien.

JTL

paulry Oct 31st 2009 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8059813)
I think it's pish as it's just totally unrealistic in today's society. I accept that the opportunities are there for people to take hold of, but having worked in secondary teaching, many of these are just squandered by kids who want everything now - instant gratification but without having to do anything to earn it in any way.

I would like to think that it's just the challenging, low achieving kids that are like this, but sadly I have worked in both state and grammer schools, and have seen the same thing in both 'classes' if you accept the double meaning.

There are an awful lot of commited teachers out there trying to make a difference, but until the kids make the connection between a rudimentary education, effort and success, then I think most will be destined for failure.

Sadly this whole touchy feely guardian reading everyone-is-a-winner BS had seeped through, and so many kids genuinely believe that they will all become footballers, or F1 drivers, and, more worryingly, that they all deserve it as if it's something that the rest of society owes them.

I seriously worry about what happens when they get into the adult world, as they will all be in for a very nasty shock when they discover the vast gulf between how much they earn/receive in benefits and how much the sports cars they spent all their IT lessons looking at on the internet and planning to buy!

S

And it's not just the school's responsibility - its the parents' too. But often they need to be educated into how to achieve before their children can be.

JackTheLad Oct 31st 2009 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8059835)
Yes, though I still think it's a symptom of the modern 'instant gratification' society we live in. nobody seems to want to do the 'hard yards' any more - everybody wants to start at the top of the pay scale, or have an Alfa Romeo as their first car, or the 4 bed house in 1/2 an acre of land overlooking the northern beaches as their first house.

What happened to working up from the bottom? I bet if you talk to Alan Sugar he would tell you some stories about what he had to do to make himself a success.

S

Oh yeah, I've read lots of biographies of these self made people. Its a hard old slog at the start, long hours, late nights, and broken marriages. But they did it. I do worry if the current generation would be so dedicated.

And you hit on another pet peeve of mine which is first time home buyers expecting a 4 bedroom house with swimming pool. I mean really.... get a grip, your first house should be a stepping stone to your ideal home, not a palace.

JTL

Swerv-o Oct 31st 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8059848)
And it's not just the school's responsibility. Often, the parents need to be educated into how to achieve before their children can be.

Yes, definitely. I noticed a definite 'ant-establishment' attitude in parents, again across all classes of folk, where school was either considered a mechanism of social authority to be automatically reviled, a cheap all day creche service, or a bunch of busybody teachers moaning because my spoilt brat hasn't done his homework again.

Breeding licences. It's the only way.

S

scottishcelts Oct 31st 2009 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 8059769)
Absolute pish yeah because only a few people ever try hard enough

That's not true - some people are not in the position to start with to take themselves off to uni.

JackTheLad Oct 31st 2009 1:34 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8059862)
That's not true - some people are not in the position to start with to take themselves off to uni.

In what way? There are student loans that will pay for everything.

And if they are really gifted, scholarships.

How can anyone say they can't to go to Uni?

JTL

Swerv-o Oct 31st 2009 1:39 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 8059867)

JTL

I don't think it's even about going to uni. It's about realising that you have an opportunity for free schooling and education that you [I]have[I] to be in until you are 16, so you may as well just try and make whatever you can out of it with a bit of hard work.

Not everybody is going to be an architect, or nurse or scientist - there are many, many good jobs that only require a high school education. But when you can't even be bothered to get that, despite it being offered on a plate for free, it doesn't leave you very many options...

S

scottishcelts Oct 31st 2009 1:40 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 8059867)

JTL

It's not that simple, when my hubby went to uni, he done 2 years at college, then 3 years at uni and we really struggled, we had a toddler and a baby during the time and we struggled.

It's a lot easier to do it when you are younger and have parents that can support you financially.

My hubby's student loan debt was at £15,000 the last time I checked :(

mr mover Oct 31st 2009 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8059835)

S

Why would any one want to own an Alfa Romeo, the last one i saw was on the side of the road on fire , apparantly a common occurence here in AUST, ............mm;)

JackTheLad Oct 31st 2009 1:43 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8059875)
It's not that simple, when my hubby went to uni, he done 2 years at college, then 3 years at uni and we really struggled, we had a toddler and a baby during the time and we struggled.

It's a lot easier to do it when you are younger and have parents that can support you financially.

My hubby's student loan debt was at £15,000 the last time I checked :(

Yeah, its not an ideal system, but the theory is, once you get a degree you'll be well sorted when it comes to increased pay.

Not necessarily true of course, but I guess thats the logic.

I was thinking about kids when they finish school, I don't think there is a financial reason why the can't go to Uni.

JTL

paulry Oct 31st 2009 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8059857)
Yes, definitely. I noticed a definite 'ant-establishment' attitude in parents, again across all classes of folk, where school was either considered a mechanism of social authority to be automatically reviled, a cheap all day creche service, or a bunch of busybody teachers moaning because my spoilt brat hasn't done his homework again.

Breeding licences. It's the only way.

S

And that anti-establishment attitude transfers to the kids. I bet you see heaps of children (good and bad) whos parents are on exactly the same page as their kids. I was watching on channel 4 recently an interesting but controversial programme which seemed to indicate that successful people and those achieving high intellects are those who work with the system in a positive way and how it is a direct result of the way that their parents have conditioned them. The highest achievers were those who's parents followed principles of Confucianism.

Breeding licences? Hmmm... I'm not sure how it's possible for them to be administered in a thoroughly and consistently benevolent way.