British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   St Valentine's Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/st-valentines-day-852384/)

Pollyana Feb 9th 2015 7:53 am

St Valentine's Day

Ah, the allegedly romantic St Valentine's Day...........largely an invention of Geoffrey Chaucer, who was a man that preferred to write about the wonders of love, rather than practice them, as seen by the fact his wife preferred to live several hundred miles away from him!

What does it mean to you? :ohmy:

SoCalDon Feb 9th 2015 7:56 am

Re: St Valentine's Day

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11560068)

My ex-wife's birthday. Gives me wishful thoughts of the massacre...

Pollyana Feb 9th 2015 7:59 am

Originally Posted by SoCalDon (Post 11560071)
My ex-wife's birthday. Gives me wishful thoughts of the massacre...

:lol: :sneaky:

Kelli28 Feb 9th 2015 8:12 am

He's away for it not home until my birthday so he can call whatever he does a belated valentine! Think ill just go out to the pub with be mates an get pissed like any other weekend!

Bix Feb 9th 2015 9:29 am

When is it?

Is it the day they toss pancakes?

carolinephillips Feb 9th 2015 9:33 am

Sister's birthday and daughter's best friend in the UK's birthday. OH and I exchange cards, but don't make a fuss otherwise.

Dorothy Feb 9th 2015 10:38 am

I picked option 1. I'm spending the evening with the one I love most - myself :)

Charismatic Feb 9th 2015 11:13 am

We will be doing many such very romanticalistic things because I have organised a convertible and drive in filum. We're not married though obviously, swings and roundabouts :).

spouse of scouse Feb 9th 2015 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11560068)
Ah, the allegedly romantic St Valentine's Day...........largely an invention of Geoffrey Chaucer, who was a man that preferred to write about the wonders of love, rather than practice them, as seen by the fact his wife preferred to live several hundred miles away from him!

Exactly jack shite :lol: Makes Hallmark and florists a ton of dosh, a bit like Mothers and Fathers Day.

If you're lucky enough to have a person to love, who loves you back, then every day is Valentine's Day. If you don't have that, then having a stupid Day isn't going to change anything!

ps I've just realized that Valentine's Day is VD. I think there's something in that for all of us :ohmy:

spouse of scouse Feb 9th 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11560168)
I picked option 1. I'm spending the evening with the one I love most - myself :)

:thumbsup:

spouse of scouse Feb 9th 2015 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11560185)
We will be doing many such very romanticalistic things because I have organised a convertible and drive in filum. We're not married though obviously, swings and roundabouts :).

I'm a cynical old bag, but that is rather sweet :starsmile:

quoll Feb 9th 2015 5:59 pm

My DH will be on the other side of the world so I might curl up with the box set of NCIS, a glass of red and wait for the DH return (3weeks!)

Charismatic Feb 9th 2015 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11560243)
I'm a cynical old bag, but that is rather sweet :starsmile:

Shouldn't get too tender as I still see this as a likely leg over situation. Why wouldn't you pick the low hanging fruit after all?

renth Feb 11th 2015 12:36 am

My Mrs will be down south on a SCUBA diving trip and I'm on duty with the fire brigade!

Bernieboy Feb 11th 2015 12:41 am

I will be covering myself in maple syrup and throwing myself to Canadian lesbians:thumbsup: