st, rd, nd and th

Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: st, rd, nd and th

Great thanks - woke up ill today so decided to take a sick day instead of suffering at work - love having the break I will get all the washing done instead of doing 50 loads at weekend lol - but disappointed tho - was gonna flex off to have my hair done this afternoon - oh well never mind
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaumonts
Great thanks - woke up ill today so decided to take a sick day instead of suffering at work - love having the break I will get all the washing done instead of doing 50 loads at weekend lol - but disappointed tho - was gonna flex off to have my hair done this afternoon - oh well never mind
Snap! Me too - at home and done the same -washed, ironed and cleaned - but still have a dicky

and OMG I am at the haridressers at 5.15 - weird
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:04 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I have - I think it is very much the same as in America.
I find myself inwardly adding the st, rd etc, every time I hear someone doing it!
Me too. :curse:
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sasbear
Snap! Me too - at home and done the same -washed, ironed and cleaned - but still have a dicky

and OMG I am at the haridressers at 5.15 - weird

yes very spooky that is lol - I dare nt go cuz I was going for something very different so people will notice tomorrow maybe I will book in tomorrow afternoon - off out after work with my work mates from my old job so maybe better that way anyhow

ok I off to get tidyed and ready for pinic with Kimberleys new teacher - oh joy lol - hopefully see you very soon for another meet up xxx
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:52 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

saying half 10 normally bemuses
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:28 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Days of the week.

Here in Canberra and also in general in Oz I have noticed that people don't say the 1st of march or the 23rd of July.... they say June 21 - or February 1.

Why is this?

Does anyone else find this strange?

Oh no, you've really noticed that?!

That is the American way of saying dates - hence the reason they write the days back to front. I spent some time teaching English in an American English school, and it used to drive me mad.

I knew Australians were turning into Americans, but it's sad that so many people are saying dates that way that you've noticed it.

I hate how American we're becoming.

Last edited by SNH; Feb 15th 2009 at 12:30 am.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:11 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

This drives me NUTS...

..and I find it difficult to beleive that anyone form the UK hasnt noticed it! - Its so 'in-yer-face' Amercian.... YUCK....
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I hate it too!

My Aussie ex suffered from cultural cringe, brought up on a diet of wall to wall American TV....anything Aussie was instantly decried as sh!t.

Also used to use terms like sidewalk, daiper.....and my personal favorite (sic)......'crosswalk'!

Ooooh it used to rile me up.......:curse:......hence the ex bit!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Days of the week.

Here in Canberra and also in general in Oz I have noticed that people don't say the 1st of march or the 23rd of July.... they say June 21 - or February 1.

Why is this?

Does anyone else find this strange?
Took me ages to get used to it and I still refuse to say it that way. We have to write it that way at work though, I used to get all my official reports rejected on the grounds that I had written the date wrong. Took ages till someone told me it was cos I was putting 1st, 2nd etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Nowhere in my experience, in Melbourne, has anyone dropped the road type unless people are talking about the main arterial streets in the CBD - flinders, etc which given they have entered into the lexicon is a non-issue.

Everywhere else, everyone I know and come into contacts with, mentions and writes the road type.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen January 23 and even if I had, it would not bother me - report writing is supposed to be succinct and standardised. However in prose or the spoken form, which might lend itself to traditionalism, it might raise an eyebrow. There are fashions I suppose - I'm sure there are people who remember and prefer the B.B.C to BBC.

That great bastion of Western democracy, the British Army, used to employ and teach 'service' writing and dates were often written like this: 12Jul04. Quite nasty really.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Took me ages to get used to it and I still refuse to say it that way. We have to write it that way at work though, I used to get all my official reports rejected on the grounds that I had written the date wrong. Took ages till someone told me it was cos I was putting 1st, 2nd etc.
Just a thought, in an email, or report I would never write 1st, or 2nd - to me that would be overkill and a tad bloated and a bit strange in a business context. I write it like this 2 January 2006. Noone contests that.

It's the ABC approach - Accuracy, Brevity and Clarity.

I'm quite glad that people can adapt to change and not rely on habit, as it means that my wife is bilingual as are my children. And I now discover to my amazement, that my wife has picked up French - literally just like that and is further along in weeks than some people would be in years. Lucky girl!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 22nd 2009 at 1:40 am.