Reload this Page >

Spiders and toddlers/crawlers

Spiders and toddlers/crawlers

Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Gnarrabup is on a distinguished road
Question Spiders and toddlers/crawlers

Hi everyone!

We've been to WA on several occasions before but not as parents .. our kids creep and crawl. What's the normal approach to having kids at this early age in a "spider environment"? (Even though we know you don't run into them all the time - a mishap is kinda more fatal with these creatures).

Also what about insecticides and kids?

How do you cope in the ordinary day to day situation - staying calm etc.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders and toddlers/crawlers

Originally Posted by Gnarrabup
Hi everyone!

We've been to WA on several occasions before but not as parents .. our kids creep and crawl. What's the normal approach to having kids at this early age in a "spider environment"? (Even though we know you don't run into them all the time - a mishap is kinda more fatal with these creatures).

Also what about insecticides and kids?

How do you cope in the ordinary day to day situation - staying calm etc.
I cannot recall of anyone ever being killed by a spider in Aus. Children are more likely to be killed by a Bee than any Spider. Hence you have as much danger in the UK from insects as we do here.

Just checked the net, there has not be a fatality by a spider bite since 1979. Whereas on average there are around 7 fatalities per year due to bee stings in the UK and 3 per year in Australia.

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/r...es/general.htm
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We used our toddlers as spider bait but it didn't work. When they got to be school age we tried using them as snake bait but again it didn't work. Our final idea now they're hormonal pre-teens/teens was to try using them as shark bait but the buggers just would NOT get eaten! Looks like we're stuck with the kids.

If you're looking to get your kids eaten by the wildlife I would really suggest a camping trip to Ayres Rock with your newborn. I've heard that dingos love babies.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We used our toddlers as spider bait but it didn't work. When they got to be school age we tried using them as snake bait but again it didn't work. Our final idea now they're hormonal pre-teens/teens was to try using them as shark bait but the buggers just would NOT get eaten! Looks like we're stuck with the kids.

If you're looking to get your kids eaten by the wildlife I would really suggest a camping trip to Ayres Rock with your newborn. I've heard that dingos love babies.
LMAO

Keep up the good work Dorothy

Paddy
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

i dont let DD crawl outside on our patio, but mainly becuase we had it sprayed before we moved in and even now find the odd dead cockroach lying there - didnt like the thought of it going into her mouth, you know what they're like!!!

she's starting to walk now, when she can walk herself she can go out there to play (she plays on the grass now and no problems) - I tend to keep the patio furniture etc sprayed but not the plant pots... hopefully she'll learn not to touch them in time
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Is it DIY spray or do you get someone in?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We came to WA with a toddler and had no problems,and thats living in rural towns.

We spray outside ourselves, you can get stuff in supermarkets.

Gems
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:32 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Children are more likely to be killed by a Bee than any Spider. Hence you have as much danger in the UK from insects as we do here.

Just checked the net, there has not be a fatality by a spider bite since 1979. Whereas on average there are around 7 fatalities per year due to bee stings in the UK and 3 per year in Australia.

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/r...es/general.htm

But is that because the Aussies know what they're doing re spidersvs toddlers ?

I have taken advice from my neighbour - you can relax if you simply:
- always keep screen doors closed
- check outside furniture/toys prior to play
- give the rest of the yard a once-over when they go out
- spray regularly (once or twice a year)
- instlil the fear of god into your child (I may have overdone it as my 20mnth old won't play with a toy spidey and refuses to wear his new PKs that have a spidey on them - ho hum)
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

I'm pretty sure that I've been bitten by a spider and yes it hurt but I am still here!

Its the ants you have to be worried about! They are huge and bite you for the fun of it!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:18 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 22B
But is that because the Aussies know what they're doing re spidersvs toddlers ?

)
No, I think its because they really don't think about it!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We've been in the Perth hills for approx a year on a large bush block with our fair share of spiders, ants and scorpions. When we first moved in we didn't get the place sprayed as the wife was pregnant and didn't fancy having all the nasty chemicals around. The nearest dramas we've had was a scorpion running around the family room one morning when the in-laws were here - they both lived to tell the story and a wolf spider out on the patio not long ago which I soon dispensed with.
Other than that we've seen lots of red backs which you just kill straight away and that's it.
Our two year boy and his younger brother are still here to tell the tale.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:52 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Other than that we've seen lots of red backs which you just kill straight away
How do you go about that then? Do they not chew your foot off?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 12th 2008 at 10:40 pm. Reason: double post
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
We've been in the Perth hills for approx a year on a large bush block with our fair share of spiders, ants and scorpions. When we first moved in we didn't get the place sprayed as the wife was pregnant and didn't fancy having all the nasty chemicals around. The nearest dramas we've had was a scorpion running around the family room one morning when the in-laws were here - they both lived to tell the story and a wolf spider out on the patio not long ago which I soon dispensed with.
Other than that we've seen lots of red backs which you just kill straight away and that's it.
Our two year boy and his younger brother are still here to tell the tale.
Spider Redback spiders are members of the widely distributed Latrodectus genus known as widow spiders. Other members include the black widow (L. mactans) and brown widow (L. indistinctus) of North America, the thirteen-spotted spider (L. tredecimguttatus) of Europe and the katipo (L. katipo) of New Zealand. In Australia, redbacks vary considerably in numbers from region to region and suburb to suburb. Although widely distributed, they are more common in temperate regions than the colder, southern areas. Redbacks have adapted well to an urban environment, making their homes in sheds and garages, under houses, in industrial areas and in outside toilets. Redback spider bite is thought to be the commonest serious spider bite in Australia, particularly over the summer months. An antivenom was introduced in 1955 and no deaths attributed to treated redback spider bites have been reported since. Prior to this, at least 14 fatalities had occurred.

http://www.avru.org/compendium/biogs/A000006b.htm
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I use the mortein spray on the patio furniture fairly regularly as the spiders seem to love hiding up in there!!!

personally i'm more worried about the snakes, our first summer on a bush block coming up and I do feel a bit nervous about it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.