Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Speed camera location not advertised

Speed camera location not advertised

Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Speed camera location not advertised

I got snapped at a location that was not in the list provided on WAPOL's website. Do you think this is intentional to catch more drivers out or just an innocent mistake?
I queried this and the reply was that the camera operator may have found an operational reason for not using the gazetted location and so moved to another. I wonder what that could be?
On that day the usual location looked fine the new location was some 100m earlier on the road and behind a large bush. That's fine but it sill wasn't on the date as gazetted on their website.
Should we even bother to take notice of the list of locations published on the WAPOL website and announced on the news?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed camera location not advertised

Originally Posted by discobay
I got snapped at a location that was not in the list provided on WAPOL's website. Do you think this is intentional to catch more drivers out or just an innocent mistake?
I queried this and the reply was that the camera operator may have found an operational reason for not using the gazetted location and so moved to another. I wonder what that could be?
On that day the usual location looked fine the new location was some 100m earlier on the road and behind a large bush. That's fine but it sill wasn't on the date as gazetted on their website.
Should we even bother to take notice of the list of locations published on the WAPOL website and announced on the news?
My understanding is that although they advertise the locations, they reserve the right to position cameras in other spots

Something I noticed the other day, a revenue collection Nissan X-trail that had a camera mounted in the rear that was photographing after you had passed (a saw the flash as a guy behind me got zapped)

Never seen that before
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I've heard of those. It's an attempt to avoid forward facing radar detectors. The vehicle would have had to been facing oncoming traffic and parked.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of those. It's an attempt to avoid forward facing radar detectors. The vehicle would have had to been facing oncoming traffic and parked.
That's how it was

I've seen this before in larger white vans (VW I think) but the first time in an x-trail
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

There is a really simple solution to not being caught by speed cameras
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:45 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
There is a really simple solution to not being caught by speed cameras
I like the fixed ones in NSW, heading up to them there must be 5 or six huge signs saying 'Speed Camera Ahead' You'd have to be a halfwit to get caught.
QLD they're everywhere, even hidden in the back of tradie style Utes.
Cruise control works for me, I just leave 10 mins earlier & plod.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see the entire road glow orange during school zone times as I sometimes forget I'm in a school zone during weekdays wen I'm usually not driving. Or maybe a siren and a recorded voice 'School zone, slow the **** down'.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:00 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I'd like to see the entire road glow orange during school zone times as I sometimes forget I'm in a school zone during weekdays wen I'm usually not driving. Or maybe a siren and a recorded voice 'School zone, slow the **** down'.

Yeah, I don't have any kids, so never really know what a 'school day' is - Is it a day when the school is open? Or a day when the kids are there? Are teacher training days 'school days?' even though there's no kids present?

It's probably easier to mandate that school zones are in force all the time - after all schools are often used at weekends and after school time and at weekends, rather than the movable feast of 'school days'.

S
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

It's always a compromise between the childrens' safety and motorists convenience. The school zone lights near me are switched off on public holidays, school holidays and pupil-free days. Not sure about teacher days.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

It's always a compromise between the childrens' safety and motorists convenience. The school zone lights near me are switched off on public holidays, school holidays and pupil-free days. Not sure about teacher days.

At least you have school zone lights - many school zones in sydney just have a sign, and you are left to your best guess to decide if it's a school day or not.

S
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I like the fixed ones in NSW, heading up to them there must be 5 or six huge signs saying 'Speed Camera Ahead' You'd have to be a halfwit to get caught.
QLD they're everywhere, even hidden in the back of tradie style Utes.
Cruise control works for me, I just leave 10 mins earlier & plod.
I like parking next to them and getting my mobile phone out.
There is nothing they can do..you have as much right to be there as they have....
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:48 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Something new migrants might not be aware of is the red flagged "Children Crossing" areas are to be treated like zebra crossings regardless of whether they are staffed by the equivalent of a lollipop lady - at least in the ACT anyway. I was shocked to learn that a few months after arriving here but thankfully it was before it was too late.

...But it might vary from state to state.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:58 am
what's not to like about

knav2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
Something new migrants might not be aware of is the red flagged "Children Crossing" areas are to be treated like zebra crossings regardless of whether they are staffed by the equivalent of a lollipop lady - at least in the ACT anyway. I was shocked to learn that a few months after arriving here but thankfully it was before it was too late.

...But it might vary from state to state.
Isn't the Lollipop lady (gent) only there on school days
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:07 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knav2013
Isn't the Lollipop lady (gent) only there on school days
Yes and so are the flags but often there's no lollipop lady/gent. The zebra crossing-like rules still apply even if only the flags are out.