Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sorry to be gloomy but....am I a real cow??

Sorry to be gloomy but....am I a real cow??

Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Stubbly-on-the-Minge. Soon to be Melbourne!!
Stilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sorry to be gloomy but....am I a real cow??

My god! How did you resist the urge to punch her?? If it was me she'd said that to...
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:57 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stilletto_rebel
My god! How did you resist the urge to punch her?? If it was me she'd said that to...
Your very immature arn,t you , try some positive feed back .........mm
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:06 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rahrah
Hello all,
I know the Barbie is usually a very 'upbeat' hang out - but didn't know which other forum to post in - and need some words of support to bolster my flagging spirit!!
Have been forging ahead with our plans but meeting resistance from my elder sister and emotional blackmail BIG style. Have been coping well with constant 'how could you do this to our family' stance but beginning to grind me down and getting p'eed off now!
She has finally resorted to reminding me that we will be 'leaving our baby son's grave behind' - Ouch! Our first son died 12 years ago, but feel that although he will never be forgotten, leaving his 'body' behind does feel disloyal ( it is hard actually) - but short of exhuming, what does she expect me to do??
Feels like a really low life dirty stunt to pull on me - I know she is upset, I feel like after this time passing, we are entitled to consider ourselves and our living kids primarily, but this constant kicking is beginning to impact.
I am trying to see her point of view and common sense tells me she is resorting to any ploy she can BUT the irrational side of me think, am I a heartless cow of a mother ?? Paranoia settling in deep, and I could do with an independant view! Opinions, please ( but be gentle!)
I can completely empathize with your situation as 3 years ago we had to leave behind the grave of our firstborn daughter, who now would have been 16. As a parent you do feel strangely disloyal but as you rightly acknowledge you have to consider your immediate 'living' family and what you want for them. Remember your son will always be in your heart and no length of distance will ever diminish your memories or love for him.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

wise words from tiddlypom.
hope all goes well 4 u
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rahrah
Have been coping well with constant 'how could you do this to our family' stance but beginning to grind me down and getting p'eed off now!
Your sister sounds like those insufferable people you hear occasionally on public transport.

Euthanasia.....is the solution....
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

ok, how about another angle to this. There is a chance that your sister is just useless at expressing herself, sees herself as head of the family, keeping the family together etc. Perhaps she was very close to your daughter. Perhaps she loves you and is scared of change. Doesnt want to lose you.

Few people are truly nasty, but can get on a roll and find it hard to go backwards. Or just turn any sort of upset into an argument.

My aim would be to carry on your plans, and to end up being the other side of the world from a sister who is on good terms with you. even if its just occasional interaction.

Its not always possible, but familys are good things
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on - is the problem here that your child is buried in another country to the one you now live in - want to live in. Is that all?

12 years ago...

That sort of thing happens. And a grave is just that - a grave. I think your sister is a bit inclined to be dramatic to be honest. Has she always been like this? Maybe she watches too many soaps.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 15th 2010 at 6:03 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

You are not the cow, but your sister is. Don't let her stop you from doing what you feel is best for your family. She is using manipulative bullying techniques to get her own way, whatever her reasons for doing it. The only way to deal with a bully is to show them that they are not able to manipulate you, and that whatever she says it will not change your mind about going. It doesn't matter what her reasons are for doing this or whether they are heat of the moment or planned outbursts, she will have to deal with them, and ultimately it is up to her whether she wants to have a loving relationship with you or one that is distant and hurtful.

I really hope that you can sort something out before you go.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanchep
Your son goes where your heart goes

Your sister was very wrong to say this but is obviously at desperation stage because she loves you very much.

Good Luck with following your dreams, believe me it will be worth it

Lo. xxx
I agree with this, my sister lost her son 6 years ago, he was 21, she lives in Geneva, but he wanted to be buried back in Ireland, so she brought him home to be buried. As she says, his remains are in the grave, but he lives in her heart, no matter where she is. I think that is very true, your son will always be alive in your mind and heart, so explain this to your sister, I think she is afraid of losing you, you seem to have been very close and she is grabbing at straws, I feel sorry for her, but you need to have a life of your own too, and if that involves moving then so be it. You don't mention your parents are they close to your sister? Is she your only sibling? Good Luck with your move and you are not a real cow!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:10 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you so much to all of those who replied to offer words of wisdom - I have received some good advice !
Feeling tons more positive - I am not going to react to her - her mean comments don't even deserve a response, and I know that wherever I am in the world, will make no difference to my memories of my little one!
No amount of bullying will de-rail our plans as a family - I am hoping she will see that with time!!
Cheers guys for the moral support
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hang on - is the problem here that your child is buried in another country to the one you now live in - want to live in. Is that all?

12 years ago...

That sort of thing happens. And a grave is just that - a grave. I think your sister is a bit inclined to be dramatic to be honest. Has she always been like this? Maybe she watches too many soaps.
I agree . . . and Grant thinks so too . . .

Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough

The thing is you only get one chance at life, and it sounds like you've already been through more than most. You sound like a very caring person (otherwise you wouldn't be questioning yourself) and I think reading between the lines, your sister knows this and has attacked at the achilles heel.

I'm not saying your sister is a bad person, but if you stay because of the pressure being put on you, then you are only going to end up resenting the people you love. Try and ignore the remark as people will say anything in desperate situations. Most importantly don't feel guilty for trying to make the best life possible for your family.

Take care

Paula
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:07 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

just shocked that a close family member would use this tactic against you
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by soapy©
just shocked that a close family member would use this tactic against you
Never ceases to amaze me what the general population is capable of!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:30 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Never ceases to amaze me what the general population is capable of!
i thought i had heard it all over the years, but this one is a real dig
its easy to tell people to ignore the comments,but when its this heartfelt it would be really hard. my heart does go out to the OP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.