Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Some Mortgage Questions...a serious thread from Jen1977ni for a change lol

Some Mortgage Questions...a serious thread from Jen1977ni for a change lol

Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question Some Mortgage Questions...a serious thread from Jen1977ni for a change lol

Ok, I am currently on a fixed rate and have been for the past two years, my 'deal' is up in a few months time, so what happens once it's up?

A few other questions:

* Do my payments automatically fall to the current percentage immediately kinda thing? Could my mortgage payments potentially drop by a few hundred a month!? (or is this just wishful thinking?!)

* Do I need to start another deal, if so, should I go fixed again or should I do something else?

* If I do start another deal, is there usually a clause in the mortgage whereby I can't sell in a certain timeframe from starting the new deal?

* If I decided to let it out when I move to Australia, til the market improves, would I need to change to a certain kind of deal? Also, how common is it to sell a house with a sitting tenant, for someone else to take on and continue the tenant to allow to rent?

So many questions, don't worry I do have a financial advisor but part of this coming week is a public holiday here in Northern Ireland so I wont be able to speak to him til much later in the week, and kind of want to go armed with a bit of knowledge beforehand....

Thanks everyone
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:37 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Mortgage Questions...a serious thread from Jen1977ni for a change lol

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok, I am currently on a fixed rate and have been for the past two years, my 'deal' is up in a few months time, so what happens once it's up?

A few other questions:

* Do my payments automatically fall to the current percentage immediately kinda thing? Could my mortgage payments potentially drop by a few hundred a month!? (or is this just wishful thinking?!)

* Do I need to start another deal, if so, should I go fixed again or should I do something else?

* If I do start another deal, is there usually a clause in the mortgage whereby I can't sell in a certain timeframe from starting the new deal?

* If I decided to let it out when I move to Australia, til the market improves, would I need to change to a certain kind of deal? Also, how common is it to sell a house with a sitting tenant, for someone else to take on and continue the tenant to allow to rent?

So many questions, don't worry I do have a financial advisor but part of this coming week is a public holiday here in Northern Ireland so I wont be able to speak to him til much later in the week, and kind of want to go armed with a bit of knowledge beforehand....

Thanks everyone
There is also the option of going 'interest only' for a while til the house is sold, that would be a way of putting a few quid away before I finally get to Oz? Or is this totally stupid?! All feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default Re: Some Mortgage Questions...a serious thread from Jen1977ni for a change lol

Whatever ya do Jen don't lock yaself into a mortgage deal

we was on a 2 year base rate tracker which was only half a percent,but a false saving really.
But cos we sold after 6 months into deal,we had to just pay £4k penalty!
What interest rate ya paying now,and what are the bank normal variable rate?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

A few other questions:

Thanks everyone
Probably the easiest and most reliable info for this would be a quick call to your mortgage providor.
Just be wary of signing up for any new deals unless you have thoroughly read the terms of any deal offered, but I don't really need to tell you that, you're far from thick.

Chris.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:46 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Thanks you two, not sure what rate I'm currently on, will speak to my FA when he's back on wed...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

Check out your old mortgage offer letter, it should tell you what the rate will revert to after the deal ends.
Be careful before changing as it is possible the rate will be 1 or 2% above base so nice & cheap and no one is selling new mortgages that low at the moment.
Also while in the paperwork some companies say they do not allow you to rent your property out they may consider it if you ask them, so again don't change until you have spoken to your mortgage company.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My pennysworth...

Your current mortgage will most probably revert to the bank's own standard variable rate when the fixed term is up. The SV rate will certainly be higher than the Bank of England base rate but should be tracking it to a degree.

I think you should talk to your bank or another provider about options and specifically mention that you may wish to rent the property out in the near future as there are different types of mortgages for rental properties. It could be quite hard to sell a house with a sitting tenant.

An interest only mortgage is not a bad idea for a short period of time to improve cashflow, it would be a terrible decision (IMO) as a long term strategy.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:46 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
My pennysworth...

Your current mortgage will most probably revert to the bank's own standard variable rate when the fixed term is up. The SV rate will certainly be higher than the Bank of England base rate but should be tracking it to a degree.

I think you should talk to your bank or another provider about options and specifically mention that you may wish to rent the property out in the near future as there are different types of mortgages for rental properties. It could be quite hard to sell a house with a sitting tenant.

An interest only mortgage is not a bad idea for a short period of time to improve cashflow, it would be a terrible decision (IMO) as a long term strategy.
The interest only idea would be for thos eexact reasons, to improve cashflow before the big move. It would only be a short term thing....
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:16 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Have notified them that I want to go interest only, will save £150 a month, which all adds up! Then when my deal ends on the 1st Oct, rates permitting, I'll save about £250, WOO HOO!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

That's good. When our fixed rate ran out we defaulted to a Bank of England Base Rate tracker, but some default to the mortgage company's own variable rate which can be higher. Have you applied for any sponsorship yet?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:20 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
That's good. When our fixed rate ran out we defaulted to a Bank of England Base Rate tracker, but some default to the mortgage company's own variable rate which can be higher. Have you applied for any sponsorship yet?
Yeah I have...but have a few other options on the cards too....which I can't divulge just yet....so lol
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Yeah I have...but have a few other options on the cards too....which I can't divulge just yet....so lol
Ooohh. Have you found yourself a nice Australian man?!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Ooohh. Have you found yourself a nice Australian man?!!
Haha no my mans English lol
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Haha no my mans English lol
It's not his fault tho lol
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's not his fault tho lol
That's what I keep telling my husband!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.