Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sofa beds for the old folk

Sofa beds for the old folk

Old May 18th 2013, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road
Default Sofa beds for the old folk

The in laws will be here soon and staying with us. We have a decent air bed for kids sleepovers but need to get something more substantial. Can anyone make recommendations on sofa beds?

It will be used as a sofa most of the time but needs to offer reasonable double bed size comfort for the visitors. I'm based in Sydney for retail recommendations or any online ?
Old May 18th 2013, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sofa beds for the old folk

Have you tried Ikea?? They do a whole range of reasonably priced sofa beds. Of course, if budget is no problem, you could try King furniture- they have beautiful convertible sofas that can be configured in various positions, but it costs a lot of money!!
Old May 18th 2013, 12:09 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Word of warning - make sure it'll go through your doors! Sounds silly, but we had one in the States delivered before we arrived from the UK: got there late evening all jetlagged and had to dismantle the thing to get it into the bedroom. Only too big by an inch, but size matters.....
Old May 19th 2013, 3:24 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol View Post
Word of warning - make sure it'll go through your doors! Sounds silly, but we had one in the States delivered before we arrived from the UK: got there late evening all jetlagged and had to dismantle the thing to get it into the bedroom. Only too big by an inch, but size matters.....
We got one from Fantastic Furniture - it weighs an absolute ton.

OP, wherever you get one from, make sure you try pulling the bed out and lie on the bed, especially if you're going to have people sleeping on it for weeks at a time. They tend to have very thin mattresses which can be uncomfortable for anything more than a couple of nights.
Old May 19th 2013, 3:37 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
We got one from Fantastic Furniture - it weighs an absolute ton.

OP, wherever you get one from, make sure you try pulling the bed out and lie on the bed, especially if you're going to have people sleeping on it for weeks at a time. They tend to have very thin mattresses which can be uncomfortable for anything more than a couple of nights.
Especially if it's older folks sleeping on it. I know when we lived in Canada when people would come to stay with us we would sleep on the sofa bed and give our comfy bed to company. There was no way in hell I would have made my parents or even the out-laws sleep on the sofa bed.

We have a day bed in our spare room now which is so much more comfortable. We still let company have either my daughter's queen bed or the son's double and let one of the kids sleep on the day bed.
Old May 19th 2013, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

We've got this one from Ikea and it has been really good. We did buy one of the thickest and therefore more expensive mattress they offered with it though but we've had people sleep on it for weeks at a time with no complaints.
Old May 19th 2013, 7:33 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Especially if it's older folks sleeping on it. I know when we lived in Canada when people would come to stay with us we would sleep on the sofa bed and give our comfy bed to company. There was no way in hell I would have made my parents or even the out-laws sleep on the sofa bed.

We have a day bed in our spare room now which is so much more comfortable. We still let company have either my daughter's queen bed or the son's double and let one of the kids sleep on the day bed.
We do that too - the two eldest have double beds and the youngest has a king single so depending on how many guests are staying, either eldest or youngest gives up his bed.

The original plan when we bought beds would be that the kids would share a double when we had guests... that went down like a lead balloon hence the hasty purchase of a sofa bed
Old May 19th 2013, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

We have two sofa beds - one folds out to queen size and the other to a good-size single - both of which have Simonds matresses on them. My almost-80 yo mum spent 3 weeks recently sleeping on the queen-size and had no problems. I'm pretty sure Simonds still make sofa beds so might be worth a look-out.
Old May 19th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by easygroove View Post
The in laws will be here soon
The in-laws? Direct them to the cheapest motel vaguely near you..