Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So if it gets dark at 5pm in Brisbane, what do you do in the evening?

So if it gets dark at 5pm in Brisbane, what do you do in the evening?

Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So if it gets dark at 5pm in Brisbane, what do you do in the evening?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Indeedy does.

We've passed the 21st, or the day it really now falls on, so it is downhill all the way to DST. Hurrah!

Like it I does.
Lucky git. Wish I lived somewhere that didn't believe daylight saving fades the MiL so she won't lay any eggs.......
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:13 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So if it gets dark at 5pm in Brisbane, what do you do in the evening?

A: ****.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:17 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
A: ****.
I was going to say that. Good reason for me not to live in Queensland.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I was going to say that. Good reason for me not to live in Queensland.
I live there but I dont do it, not at that time, kids are still running around, they really should pick up some local customs & go to bed by 7.30pm.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

But, it's the middle of winter. When I was in the UK it went dark at 3.30 in the middle of winter. 5.30 is fantastic.

Mike.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: So if it gets dark at 5pm in Brisbane, what do you do in the evening?

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
But, it's the middle of winter. When I was in the UK it went dark at 3.30 in the middle of winter. 5.30 is fantastic.

Mike.
Mike, what I think you need to realise is that in Queensland it gets dark very early in summer too, and spring, and autumn, not just winter. It is a point of contention for many QLD residents.

Buzzy
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Mike, what I think you need to realise is that in Queensland it gets dark very early in summer too, and spring, and autumn, not just winter. It is a point of contention for many QLD residents.

Buzzy
Exactly. When you come home form work in the dark every day of the year, it soon starts to get depressing.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:46 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
So it gets dark early, so what Kids still have after school activities, if they're outside ones they are done under floodlights, no big deal. The world doesn't stop because the sun's disappeared. Kids still have homework, I still have cooking, cleaning etc etc, hubby is still in the shed making something, repairing something - we use lights
Yeah but the blurb promised us jobs, constant sunshine,lots of tim tams,cold beer etc, the diac have lied to us:curse: and besides how do you know when the sun shines ???,isnt it always dark in the mods coven
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

angelaos will become famous soon enough

Do you feel conned by the lack of info about the dark evenings or did you suss that out before you got there?

A few people have mentioned Melbourne as a better place to live for light. What that like then?

Whilst I'm on the subject of where to live, I recently felt conned myself to find out that Brisbane dwellers don't go to the sea after work because its covered in mangroves! Funny how all the books I've read never mentioned that.

Also, I've learned from some ausies I met recently, that the Gold coast is not a nice place to live as it's trashy & full of high spirited school leavers who get into a lot of trouble. Sorry if that is not true & offends, but please correct me, I'm all ears.

Where is it lightish, near beautiful beaches with good jobs for project managers on large building construction sites within comuting distance?

Did I mention the light?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:46 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelaos
Do you feel conned by the lack of info about the dark evenings or did you suss that out before you got there?

A few people have mentioned Melbourne as a better place to live for light. What that like then?
It's like the South East of the UK, although in winter the earliest it is ever dark is 5.30pm. In summer its 9.30pm

Whilst I'm on the subject of where to live, I recently felt conned myself to find out that Brisbane dwellers don't go to the sea after work because its covered in mangroves! Funny how all the books I've read never mentioned that.
One of the reasons that we chose Melbourne over Brisbane was because it is very easy in Melbourne to live within walking distance of a stunning sandy beach. It is very hard to do this in Brisbane unless you are prepared to commute a long way from say Bribie island.

Where is it lightish, near beautiful beaches with good jobs for project managers on large building construction sites within comuting distance?

Did I mention the light?
I think you should look at Melbourne, also Adelaide, and Sydney although we decided we couldn't afford to live near the beaches in Sydney.

Buzzy
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I've learned from some ausies I met recently, that the Gold coast is not a nice place to live as it's trashy & full of high spirited school leavers who get into a lot of trouble. Sorry if that is not true & offends, but please correct me, I'm all ears.

Did I mention the light?
Try here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Bay
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

angelaos will become famous soon enough

So, from what I can gather from this (please correct me if I am wrong) is that Brisbane get dark around 5pm in winter which is better than the UK but is also dark at 7pm?? in the summer. Am I on the right track so far? No one actually does anything apart from kids h/wk & sort dinner in the kitchen.

Are the nights warm or chilly when the sun drops? Do the bugs come out to eat you alive?

What are the seasonal differences in light in Melbourne? Anything go on there? Decent, beautiful beaches?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

So, from what I can gather from this (please correct me if I am wrong) is that Brisbane get dark around 5pm in winter which is better than the UK but is also dark at 7pm?? in the summer. Am I on the right track so far? No one actually does anything apart from kids h/wk & sort dinner in the kitchen.

Are the nights warm or chilly when the sun drops? Do the bugs come out to eat you alive?

What are the seasonal differences in light in Melbourne? Anything go on there? Decent, beautiful beaches?
Its to do with the curvature of the earth, and the fact its not really flat like in an atlas, but tilts a little to the side.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Melbourne - dark at 5.30pm in winter, 9.30pm in summer.

Among the most stunning beautiful beaches in Australia, right there in the residential suburbs and even the edges of the city centre, with clear blue sea.

Some photos of Melbourne's beaches here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527425

Buzzy
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

never knew any of this - for Oz that is

I remember complaining to my Mum that is wasn't even dark when she sent me to bed at 9 pm in English summer time.

Now I'm in Italy and my kids have just started to say the same thing ....... "bed-time" I call ----- Mummy - but it's not even dark yet. Trick in Italy though is that all windows have shutters or big roll down blinds which can either keep the hot sun out or keep the light out at bed time !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.