Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So how did you do it?

So how did you do it?

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default So how did you do it?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

We fly on the 1st September to Perth. We were going to be staying with friends to start with whilst we got sorted but their circumstances have changed a bit so it would be easier if we can get ourselves sorted.

We were going to ship our stuff about 3-4 weeks before we leave the UK but as we now need to find somewhere to live as soon as we arrive we're a bit concerned about waiting for all our stuff to get there. Hubby is now talking about shipping our stuff 8 weeks before we leave so it's there sooner after we get there. We're not taking much furniture (bed base, chest of draws & table but no chairs) but we're shipping all our kitchen stuff (not white goods), hoover, bedding, towels, clothes, etc. Undecided about the plasma at the moment as that's about £200 alone to ship.

So did you ship your stuff early & muddle through this end before you left the UK or did you ship your stuff just before you left & then some how made do in Oz?

Also did any of you get rented accommodation sorted before you flew? Not sure if this is possible as obviously we'd need to pay a deposit, etc. Our friends are happy to view properties for us so we wouldn't be taking a chance on how places look on the net. Also is it worth looking for somewhere furnished to start with? Although there don't seem to be many furnished properties available in the area we're looking at the moment.

Again I apologise if these questions have been asked before (& I'm sure they have) but we're having a bit of a flap & a few disagreements over the best way to do things.

Alison x
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: So how did you do it?

Tried to get container there before us but Pickfords cocked it up so it ended up 1 month after us... So yes try for early container as otherwise you just buy stuff that's on it to survive day to day.

We rented from UK so house was ready just after arrival so you could settle straight in and know where you would be living.

Also if you can rent early and get container early you should be able to get container Contents dropped off asap.

Originally Posted by al150n

We fly on the 1st September to Perth. We were going to be staying with friends to start with whilst we got sorted but their circumstances have changed a bit so it would be easier if we can get ourselves sorted.

We were going to ship our stuff about 3-4 weeks before we leave the UK but as we now need to find somewhere to live as soon as we arrive we're a bit concerned about waiting for all our stuff to get there. Hubby is now talking about shipping our stuff 8 weeks before we leave so it's there sooner after we get there. We're not taking much furniture (bed base, chest of draws & table but no chairs) but we're shipping all our kitchen stuff (not white goods), hoover, bedding, towels, clothes, etc. Undecided about the plasma at the moment as that's about £200 alone to ship.

So did you ship your stuff early & muddle through this end before you left the UK or did you ship your stuff just before you left & then some how made do in Oz?

Also did any of you get rented accommodation sorted before you flew? Not sure if this is possible as obviously we'd need to pay a deposit, etc. Our friends are happy to view properties for us so we wouldn't be taking a chance on how places look on the net. Also is it worth looking for somewhere furnished to start with? Although there don't seem to be many furnished properties available in the area we're looking at the moment.

Again I apologise if these questions have been asked before (& I'm sure they have) but we're having a bit of a flap & a few disagreements over the best way to do things.

Alison x
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Alison x
We shipped 4 weeks before and stayed with family in the UK. Furnished holiday rental on arrival in Perth and the the rental hunt began. We had to wait a month at Perth end too for our stuff but found a company that rented packages of furniture and household stuff which although expensive was best for us. stayz.com.au is the holiday rental website to look at.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped our stuff about 5-6 weeks ahead - can't remeber exactly.

Arrived and bought some foamies (mega-skanky pieces of foam to sleep on) from super a-mart, an outdoor table and a new TV.

Plus a trip to ikea for a few basics like cooking stuff.

This did us until our stuff arrived. We really roughed it lol but it was worth it as we didn't want to be buying stuff that we had in the container - kind of defeats the point of shippping. Looking back it was kind of funny and bloody stressful too

I do not necessarily recommend doing it this way BTW!!!
We had to live like that for 6 weeks......
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We took a room in a Travelodge opposite the garage where our car was to be collected from, for a week. Crashed out with a roomfull of cases and bags, picked up car next day and spent the week trolling round looking for a rental.

Furniture arrived sometime later and was kept at the movers for six months until we moved to another area and rented a house.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:09 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

We got the shippers in first week in March, for an end of April flight approx 8 weeks before!

I fly in less than 4 weeks and the stuff is still in the Shippers Warehouse (shared container), so I am roughing it here on my own with 2 kids and we as a family of 4 will be roughing it in Oz until who knows when

Unless you are sending a full container it is a bit of a lottery I'm afraid as to when you will get your stuff.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:03 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: So how did you do it?

Alison x
We shipped our stuff on the same day that we left the UK. We had a bunch of essentials that were sent via air freight and arrived in about a week and a half; the rest of it went by sea and took about three months.

We had already bought a house in Australia two years before moving, and moved into it two days after our arrival. My mother lent us some furniture, crockery, cutlery, manchester, etc. to keep us going until our freight arrived.

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Stuff left when we did, Fully equipped holiday rental for 3 weeks then empty rental and stuff arriving 3 months later.. Took "camping essentials" on the plane

Ikea/ Kmart for the basics.. and Gumtree for second hand furniture

we didn't "unpack" everything in the rental, waited til we brought 18 months after arrival...

come to mention it we STILL haven't unpacked everything..
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped our stuff 6 weeks before we left and "camped" in our UK house. Borrowed tons of stuff off family and friends. Then we had a furnished place in Oz for 6 weeks and the day the place became unfurnished our stuff arrived!

It was perfect timing I'd definately try and struggle without in the UK rather than in Oz. At least you've got people to rely on in the UK.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. We arrive in Perth 1st July. We have booked aholiday apartment in Joondalup for a month whist we search for an unfurnished house as we want to drive around and get a feel for an area. Our furniture is only going 2 weeks before us so we will be living on bare basics for a few weeks. We have also had to book the dog into a boarding kennels after quarantine as we found it impossible to get a furnished rental that would take dogs. I am just worrying now that we won't be able to find an unfurnished rental and we will end up homeless.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Cheers for the replies

Everyone seems to have done it differently. Hubby has decided we'll ship our stuff about 8 weeks before we leave. I was hoping for a few weeks less than that as it's our sons birthday 6 weeks before we fly & I don't want to have to say to people they can't by him a present as we can't fit it in our luggage. He'll only be 4 so won't understand if he doesn't get anything.

As we're chucking the sofas & not taking the kids beds we don't need to rough it here completely. Decided to buy some new towels & bedding so we can keep a few of the older bits back to survive with, then chuck them & just have 3 duvets & the kids towels in our luggage. Not sure how I'm going to manage without a hoover, iron or my breadmaker for 3 months (ish) though. At least I'll still have internet access as I'm keeping my macbook with me

We've both been looking at rental properties & there are a few in area we want at the moment but for now it's just a case of getting an idea as to whats available. Not sure we can justify any sort of holiday accommodation for the first few weeks so really need to find somewhere before we fly.

Kayelem you'll have to let us know how you get on. We're going just a little bit further north than you.

Alison x
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the replies

Everyone seems to have done it differently. Hubby has decided we'll ship our stuff about 8 weeks before we leave. I was hoping for a few weeks less than that as it's our sons birthday 6 weeks before we fly & I don't want to have to say to people they can't by him a present as we can't fit it in our luggage. He'll only be 4 so won't understand if he doesn't get anything.

As we're chucking the sofas & not taking the kids beds we don't need to rough it here completely. Decided to buy some new towels & bedding so we can keep a few of the older bits back to survive with, then chuck them & just have 3 duvets & the kids towels in our luggage. Not sure how I'm going to manage without a hoover, iron or my breadmaker for 3 months (ish) though. At least I'll still have internet access as I'm keeping my macbook with me

We've both been looking at rental properties & there are a few in area we want at the moment but for now it's just a case of getting an idea as to whats available. Not sure we can justify any sort of holiday accommodation for the first few weeks so really need to find somewhere before we fly.

Kayelem you'll have to let us know how you get on. We're going just a little bit further north than you.

Alison x
I would be very surprised if you can get a normal rental property before you arrive. They tend to have open houses where a million people come and view, you submit an application and pray the owners/rental agents like you. The rental market is very competitive and I know people who took weeks on the ground here to find a place.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

OilDigger is an unknown quantity at this point

Alison x
There is of course no right or wrong system for this, it's all down to your personal circumstances.

We shipped ours 2 weeks before leaving UK and rented a furnished place in the UK while we finished off all the unwanted items still in the house and got it ready for renting out.

Luckily had friends here in Perth, so stayed with them for first 4 weeks while finding our rental. Your rental search is going to depend on your selected areas and budget. But as already stated this can be a nightmare, especially with no credit history etc. in Aus, we payed 3 months rent up front to secure our place. Will help if one of you is comming with a job.

We moved into the unfurnished rental 10 days before our furniture arrived as our friends had relatives arriving. Borrowed some basics from them and bought some blow up mattresses.

Now we have a place full of furniture and packing cases, and although in a 4 + 2 not enough space [we shipped a 20 foot container].

So god luck with the move, it's throws up more chalenges than you will imagine, don't be fooled into thinking it'll all be easy and that should keep you right.