Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So, have you stopped sending photos in your Christmas cards?

So, have you stopped sending photos in your Christmas cards?

Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, have you stopped sending photos in your Christmas cards?

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I've never been asked to fill out a declaration form for a card whatever I put in it.

I think you'll find that there are jobsworths in post offices, and then there are people who actually offer you customer service. The latter is my local. There are many with different stories - ridiculous ones about presenting driver licenses, even when that person doesn't have one because they don't drive.
I've had to fill out customs forms when posting children's cards that have badges on the front! We even had a discussion once as to whether I was even allowed to post a badge because it had a pin on it and this could be dangerous to the postman........
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I sent three cards and a parcel this morning. I had to fill out a customs declaration because the parcel is over a certain weight - that was it. My wife on Wednesday put about 20 cards through the post office counter and didn't fill in any forms either.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:33 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've had to fill out customs forms when posting children's cards that have badges on the front! We even had a discussion once as to whether I was even allowed to post a badge because it had a pin on it and this could be dangerous to the postman........
I was thinking about you Polly, when it comes to ridiculous tales from Post office land...
Old Dec 11th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know and do not want to know Not passing the info on m We have been here over 30 years and never heard of it thank goodness. Sent a lot of photos too at times. Receive them as well and still do.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

So, today's episode...

I went to our local postal outlet. Without the cards.

I told the clerk I was sending 35 "Christmas letters," not cards, thinking she'd give me the $2.10 stamps (I think that's what they were going to charge me last night). Last time I mailed letters to Canada, they were $2.10.

She gives me 35 of the 1.25 ones. I ask her, "Are these fine for letters?"

"Yup."

"Do I need to fill out any customs forms for my letters if there's a photo?"

"Huh? No."

So, Australia Post has some consistency problems (well, I guess unless they consistently make up the rules as they go along). My next question, has anyone ever had Christmas cards returned for insufficient postage?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
SMy next question, has anyone ever had Christmas cards returned for insufficient postage?
Nope. Last year I managed to send about 10 without stamps, they were all delivered to the people in the UK and no one was asked for more money Didn't realise until the folks back in the UK all emailed me to ask if I was skint or just tight
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Nope. Last year I managed to send about 10 without stamps, they were all delivered to the people in the UK and no one was asked for more money Didn't realise until the folks back in the UK all emailed me to ask if I was skint or just tight
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:25 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

The first year we were here we mailed about 60 cards back to Canada. Each one had a 2 page newsletter folded up inside of it. I just made sure each card was stamped "card only" and didn't have any issues at all.

I don't believe I've ever been asked about pictures. If they ever did now I'd certainly say no!

Last year I was lucky enough to have relatives come out in November so I just sent back all my cards with them and they put Candian stamps on them for me and mailed them. This year we're headed back for Christmas so we'll be doing the same thing.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like too much trouble to me!My Mum sometimes sends me cards with photo's in,and she's never filled in any custom forms!Maybe they let her off because she's old!Talking of mail though,I know this is important for Royal Mail to know but every time I send parcels back to Oz,I have to write on the customs dec what the actual thing is?Shame as it spoils the surprise!Why can't you just write "Gift"because don't all the mail/parcels go through a security scanner thingy?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I was thinking about you Polly, when it comes to ridiculous tales from Post office land...

I wouldn't tellthem if a card had photos in it, I've doe that in the past, just label them card only and post them. The badge on the card was unlucky, I didn't have any stamps handy and had to go into the post office - hence the realised it wasn't just a card.

To the OP - they definitely have consistency issues, it varies depending on who you talk to, as well as on which Post Office you use.

I'm so glad I've moved house, different Post Office, and its been months since I've had an argument about whether my British Passport is legal!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:31 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I've sent 30 cards with photos in and some larger ones with calendars - those $2 ones, and not been asked about pics or to fill in forms.
Also posted 5 parcels, with customs dec's on...maybe they felt sorry for me cos it cost over $100 altogether
Old Dec 12th 2009, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

To the OP - they definitely have consistency issues, it varies depending on who you talk to, as well as on which Post Office you use.
I agree, I always head for the same cashier in our local PO - I even let people go before me in the queue if I get the 'wrong' cashier. The one I like is really helpful and tells you the way round things. She let me off posting 44 christmas cards to the UK, all with letters and photos in by winking and saying 'Just write card only'. The others are real jobsworths who would have made me fill in 44 declarations!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Or do you just plan in advance to spend an evening filling out customs forms?

It's our first Christmas living here in Australia. So, I went to Australia Post today with my Christmas cards in hand (yeah, late I know) and was all set to send them off (finally). The clerk asks me, "Do you have any photos in them?"

"Uh yeah, one in each, why?"

Well, it turns out I need to fill out a customs declaration form for every card that contains a photograph. So, she pulls out a stack of green customs forms...

Then I ask about postage. Well, never mind that each one weighs 11g. Because they have a single photo in them, they automatically double in postage.

Since I couldn't see myself standing there filling out 36 customs declarations with my 19 month old along, I took my cards and left. I guess I'll have to come back, pick up the &*%$# forms, grab a glass of wine and spend an evening making customs very happy by filling out the paperwork to attach to my Christmas cards.

I wouldn't bother with some of them (I guess I could rip open the envelopes and yank the photos out) but I also have some elderly relatives who do not have computers or email or internet and aside from snail mail and real photos (or the phone), they'd have no idea how we're doing.

Most days, I like it here. Then sometimes, there's some aspect of living here that's so ridiculous it's beyond comprehension.
FFS

I have to say, that is one of the few things I can't stand about Australia: all the petty rules & regulations.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

When buying my stamps I count them up for overseas and here and then just go and ask for the stamps, overseas is the same price wherever they are going at Christmas.