Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So . . ."Half of Pommies wanna leave Blighty"

So . . ."Half of Pommies wanna leave Blighty"

Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:16 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default So . . ."Half of Pommies wanna leave Blighty"

are they merely whingeing or what?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...un-survey.html

48% of Brits want to get out of the UK

Shock Sun survey shows almost half are ready to emigrate overseas
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:25 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So . . ."Half of Pommies wanna leave Blighty"

Interestingly, one of the reasons for wanting to move is cost of living.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:33 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth do they want to leave?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Dave paid £8,000 to fly the children — aged from four months to 18 — to Brisbane

Golly that's cheap! I've hardly got any children and pay a bucket load more to get em home to the UK for a holiday. Mind you, from the sounds of it, no more need to go back, think I'll just stay here in the luxury of my cheap but opulent 70's style rental accomodation, watching quality Oz TV (no licence required!)
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:50 am
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Why on earth do they want to leave?
reading the comments on the article you will see some feeling of hopelessness and misery. is it really that bad?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:56 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
reading the comments on the article you will see some feeling of hopelessness and misery. is it really that bad?
I guess saying you want to leave is different to actually doing it, and probably 75% of those who said they wanted to don't have a hope in hell of getting a visa anywhere.

It does seem, based upon the surveys, that there is a perception that the UK is changing and not for the better. Part of that may well be history being viewed through rose tinted glasses. I spent my teens in the UK during the 60s, and it seemed ok, but the 70s were a pretty cold dose of reality - but a large part of that was simply those damn glasses.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:44 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I guess saying you want to leave is different to actually doing it, and probably 75% of those who said they wanted to don't have a hope in hell of getting a visa anywhere.

It does seem, based upon the surveys, that there is a perception that the UK is changing and not for the better. Part of that may well be history being viewed through rose tinted glasses. I spent my teens in the UK during the 60s, and it seemed ok, but the 70s were a pretty cold dose of reality - but a large part of that was simply those damn glasses.
Now you're showing your age...
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as its obviously a bad case of last one out please switch off the lights I wonder that they found 1600 Pommies left in the UK to take part in their survey
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. I bet a large number of those who say they want to leave have watched a few tv programmes and think life must be like paradise everywhere else in the world; and look how many we get on here who think they can just move to Australia -then they find its not actually an open door. A read of the US forums is always interesting for that as well - a huge number of people just want to move to Florida cos its sunny and got Disney stuff, they have no idea of the realities of needing a visa, or of what life is really like there.
Then there are the people who think that leaving the UK sounds like fun - until they look into the practicalities of it - splitting the family up, kids that have left school that can't migrate cos they are independent, medical issues and costs, can they get a job........
Wanting to leave versus actually leaving - two very different figures, I'm sure.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

It IS the Sun that is touting this sensationalist stuff though. Do you believe that rag???
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Exactly. I bet a large number of those who say they want to leave have watched a few tv programmes and think life must be like paradise everywhere else in the world
One of my best mates from brum, was so down on the UK, tried OZ didnt stay, too backward, too expensive, too far from her kids... Settled in Spain - the move sent her broke.

At the time she came here she had about 150,000 GBP, all gone except a car. Moving round and long spells of unemployment or wages of 8 euro an hour...

5 years later back in UK, receives great health care, only rents but its cheap, now first to admit she was mental to moan about it in the first place.

Life savings gone but lesson learnt
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
One of my best mates from brum, was so down on the UK, tried OZ didnt stay, too backward, too expensive, too far from her kids... Settled in Spain - the move sent her broke.

At the time she came here she had about 150,000 GBP, all gone except a car. Moving round and long spells of unemployment or wages of 8 euro an hour...

5 years later back in UK, receives great health care, only rents but its cheap, now first to admit she was mental to moan about it in the first place.

Life savings gone but lesson learnt
when you get back you can lend her a tenner....
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Dave paid £8,000 to fly the children — aged from four months to 18 — to Brisbane

Golly that's cheap! I've hardly got any children and pay a bucket load more to get em home to the UK for a holiday. Mind you, from the sounds of it, no more need to go back, think I'll just stay here in the luxury of my cheap but opulent 70's style rental accomodation, watching quality Oz TV (no licence required!)
My cousin immigrated with her husband and two kids and all up it cost them less than 40 quid
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:15 am
Not allowed opinions.

If you asked the guys in the bar if they would leave their wife and kids for that hot barmaid in the ultra short skirt and sexy top, I bet most would say yes.

1. In the sober cold light of day, when they are standing there on the doorstep and the kids are asking where daddy is going, most would bottle out.

2. The sexy barmaid wouldn't have 90% of the men, she only sleeps with guys who have the mythical 100 points (or whatever). Its not as easy to get into her bed as they thought.

3. That sexy barmaid doesn't look quite as good when you see her in trakkies and no makeup, she snores, sleeps around and spends your money like water.

Replace the barmaid with Australia and you have a fair analogy.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 5:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
There is a new series of Poms in Paradise currently showing on ITV, maybe it's the sight of everybody in Australia sipping Pina Colada's around the pool everyday in the endless sunshine that is colouring people's views..............these people who have probably never been further than the Costa del Sol for a fortnight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.