Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Snakes and other Aussie lovables

Wikiposts

Snakes and other Aussie lovables

Old May 3rd 2010, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Snakes and other Aussie lovables

30 posts and no mention of scorpions!!
We had one hiding under the sofa in the lounge - the carpet cleaner had a bit of a scare when he moved the sofa
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:16 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the first day of Spring... less than five months since I last encountered a snake in the back yard.... Met this slippery chap in the carport tonight. (About 2.5 metres long)
Attached Thumbnails Snakes and other Aussie lovables-first-day-spring-2010-010.jpg  
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Ah, the first day of Spring... less than five months since I last encountered a snake in the back yard.... Met this slippery chap in the carport tonight. (About 2.5 metres long)
Hope you're a bit more relaxed about them now, specially friendly one's like that You seem to be seeing a lot, 1 every 6 months, are you near bush?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:47 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be magpie season soon that always brings me great joy
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
It'll be magpie season soon that always brings me great joy
I have to decide whether to put the "ties" sticking out of my bicycle helmet. Anyone know if they work?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:53 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I have to decide whether to put the "ties" sticking out of my bicycle helmet. Anyone know if they work?
Yes to some degree also some sticky eyes too
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:11 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Hope you're a bit more relaxed about them now, specially friendly one's like that You seem to be seeing a lot, 1 every 6 months, are you near bush?
True, I don't mind the big one's that sidle up and greet you on the way to the car. It's the little biters that wriggle under your feet by the washing line and under the wheelie bin that I don't like. We are near a bit of bush but only about 20 minutes from the cbd.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:13 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by kelli28
Yes to some degree also some sticky eyes too
Yes, sticky eyes on the helmet worked for us some years back. Making friends with the magpies also helps. Felt a bit guilty the other day when the postman warned me about my resident magpie family which had swooped him. All they do to me is peck on the window when they want to come in!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:36 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Not at all. Can you pay for the flight?

I actually love snakes - they're beautiful. I've only seen three this year which was a bit disappointing. One brown, one red bellied black and one other that I am yet to ID. I like to photograph them and the more you learn about them, the better off you..and they, are.
That is so true, my Dad asked me why I trained as a snake catcher and I believe the more you know about them, if you know how to act if you see one or what to do, it will serve you well.

Knowledge is power in this case. (Tiger snakes are gorgeous )