Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Snakes and other Aussie lovables

Wikiposts

Snakes and other Aussie lovables

Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:12 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes and other Aussie lovables

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Are you kidding? 3 snakes in 18 months and you would want to avoid it?
In the back yard where we walk in bare feet and children play. Yes.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:13 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissybee
Yeah yeah I know... they don't mean us any harm blah blah. They'll just bundle us off to hospital if we accidentally bump into them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely anti-snake. I used to like English snakes. Quite happy to handle and study them... but the big, venomous suckers here are a whole different ball game.
Sorry to be quite so blah blah blah. I'm not anti snake at all. I don't quite get why people are in so much of a rush to get here and then they hate the wildlife. It's not like you didn't know they were here.

The big ones are a different ball game, but like I said, the more you know, the better off you are. You just keep still. Even the most venomous of snakes can't 'see' you when you're still. They're mostly blind and half deaf. They can't go faster than you and they rarely inject venom on the first bite... it's usually a warning shot.
So there you go, more blah blah blah.

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Big snakes are a handful.
Bad, bad boy!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

You want to avoid my slice of Oz then, I'm lucky to make it to the car alive most mornings.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:17 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Then I would suggest if you're so worried you'd put shoes on them and yourselves.
But then you live up North. They don't wear shoes up there do they?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:22 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God. Did anyone notice the adjoining article on bizarre stuffed animals? I especially like the cat with wings. It has a strangely twisted face. Probably hovering above a snake.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Then I would suggest if you're so worried you'd put shoes on them and yourselves.
But then you live up North. They don't wear shoes up there do they?
Can't wear shoes, that's where all the deadly spiders nest
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

My cats are refusing to go into the garage at night. So this means there's something in there the cats know about, but I don't.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Was it an Adder?
Yep. There have been 14 reported deaths caused by adder bites in the UK, with the last death in 1975. I was bitten in the 1960's
http://iberianature.com/britainnatur...rs-in-britain/

But you have to watch the cows....
http://iberianature.com/britainnatur...ls-in-britain/

Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:40 pm
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by Burbage
My cats are refusing to go into the garage at night. So this means there's something in there the cats know about, but I don't.
Cameras probably.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:44 pm
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yep. There have been 14 reported deaths caused by adder bites in the UK, with the last death in 1975. I was bitten in the 1960's
http://iberianature.com/britainnatur...rs-in-britain/

But you have to watch the cows....
http://iberianature.com/britainnatur...ls-in-britain/
Lets face it, you have to watch the cows everywhere ro fl:: Suppose I milked that for all it was worth.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

I have just come inside from "trying" to hang out the washing. I am in the suburbs of an Australian capital city and have just narrowly avoided stepping on a yellow-bellied black snake sunning itself by the washing line. It is not the first time my family and I have encountered snakes on our suburban plot. Actually, it's the third time in eighteen months. I just want to mention this as there are those out there who tell people who are considering the move to Australia that the spiders and snakes tales are exagerated. They're not.
Semi rural and only five snakes in five years so not too bad. Moved to the trees and Huntsman and Whitetips increased but Redbacks decreased.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

pachanga is an unknown quantity at this point

Not dangerous but very very annoying: portuguese millipedes. How can I get rid of them? I live on a rural property and for 3 years after the first rains they came in the hundreds, crawling into every little crack and crevice to come into the house. What they tell you on the net about them (attracted to light) is not true. They crawl day and night.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

omg, that would have freaked me out completely The only time I've seen a snake is in a zoo. Haven't come across any spiders here either. I hope there aren't too many of these lovables in Melbourne
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:52 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

I have just come inside from "trying" to hang out the washing. I am in the suburbs of an Australian capital city and have just narrowly avoided stepping on a yellow-bellied black snake sunning itself by the washing line. It is not the first time my family and I have encountered snakes on our suburban plot. Actually, it's the third time in eighteen months. I just want to mention this as there are those out there who tell people who are considering the move to Australia that the spiders and snakes tales are exagerated. They're not.
l'm guessing your in Brisbane, probably the tropical climate means more snakes, most people who live in Melbounre would live their whole lives without ever seeing a snake in their garden apart from those who live in the outer semi rural suburbs, If you are bitten its almost certain you would survive with the modern anti venom they have these days, its ususaly only people who are in remote areas far from hospital that die. Only around 2 people a year die from snake bite in OZ , l think just as many die from bee and wasp stings in the UK and as ABC diamond said 14 people have died from adder snake bites in the Uk. Queensland is probably the worst state for dangerous creepy crawlies and dangerous wildlife.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 14th 2010 at 8:02 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think coming into close contact with a snake it still not that common - though some can be unlucky. Mostly you just see them crossing the road at night, or occasionally crawling through your backyard tree's - dog barking at it is what often alerts you to it. Sometimes they are in pool baskets.

Even though I know it happens I don't hear of someone almost stepping on one in their backyard in big city suburbia very often - in Brisbane they are mostly just harmless tree snakes that slide through the trees at night. Of course exceptions exist, but I am talking about the "norm", after listening to talk about it from colleagues, friends and family over decades. Living close to bush land obviously changes the odds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.