Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Old Nov 7th 2017, 7:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Originally I was a tad confused by the subject, but I think I have it now. Isn't smart phone an oxymoron? I assume that you refer to the device that sits constantly on charge downstairs and barks like some demented monkey mostly when I am upstairs in my office, and promptly shuts off whenever I approach to within a metre? How smart is that?

Tablets however I am comfortable with, as I take loads every morning. I am a bit bothered that bakedbean has to take tablets so large as to be able to get onto them. I wish you well for the future, despite the seemingly awful medication...

Right, enough of this drivel!

Horses for courses: I use the 'phone (always assuming it can bear to be unplugged for a couple of minutes) for text messages and the odd 'phone call. I have a camera if I want to take a photo, etc etc.

The tablet is for 'read only' late night sofa-surfing and also playing games such as Piquet and Bezique when I'm bored with TV.

Maybe I'm just an old fart (yeah! roared the crowd), but if I want to do anything web-related then it's computer all the way for me.
Thanks for the giggle

I no longer have any type of mobile phone, much to the amazement of just about everyone. My last job required me to be on-call 24/7 except during annual leave, on my last day I threw it on the ground and stomped on it. God that felt good
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:08 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I no longer have any type of mobile phone...
That's quite a bold step! I am not sure I could go that far, but only because of the ability to send text messages which is a must have for me.

My last job required me to be on-call 24/7...
Yup, know the deal with that...

... on my last day I threw it on the ground and stomped on it. God that felt good
I'll bet that felt good!
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the giggle

I no longer have any type of mobile phone, much to the amazement of just about everyone. My last job required me to be on-call 24/7 except during annual leave, on my last day I threw it on the ground and stomped on it. God that felt good
My previous jobs all supplied mobile phones. My current job supplies me a pager and then complains why they cannot call me at all hours of the day. I explained that there are not as many pay phones as there used to be.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:57 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
My previous jobs all supplied mobile phones. My current job supplies me a pager and then complains why they cannot call me at all hours of the day. I explained that there are not as many pay phones as there used to be.
Brilliant!

Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

What is a pager? Is that like a fax machine?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can still get a pager?

My employer provides a cell phone, and I was "upgraded" to an iPhone in September. It has been turned off,.and in my computer bag for at least a month!