Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Small function venues recommendations in Melbourne?

Small function venues recommendations in Melbourne?

Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Small function venues recommendations in Melbourne?

Hi Melbourne peeps

I want to celebrate my 40th birthday in some sort of style but without breaking the bank. I was thinking either a sit-down dinner (for about 30 to 40 people) and I shout the drinks or a bar/pub thing with finger food and a tab. I am not really a pub person normally though so I would probably need a private room or a very special place. I was thinking along the lines of a micro-brewery, a wine bar or such like...

We live in the north-eastern burbs so it would have to be around this way or in the inner city to be accessible to most our friends.

I will also take suggestions for a good caterer that could come to my place as our house could accommodate the numbers but I don't want to headaches of organising food and stuff.

My birthday is in August so would most likely have to be indoors (t'was better in the northerm hemisphere )

All suggestions taken! Cheers!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small function venues recommendations in Melbourne?

Don't know anywhere in the city, but the Murder Mystery evenings on the Puffing Billy Railway are supposed to be a great night. About $100 a head, 3 course meal and entertainment x
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Some great places Bayside. Do you want details or too far?
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:25 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Hi Elice - Transit bar which is the top floor of Transport in Fed Square is a really good space for those sort of numbers - fantastic roof terrace, I've been to a few private do's there and they've all been great. Easy for everyone to get to too. Or as Hebe says lots of places Bayside - upstairs at The Pier is always good but it's a good 10mins walk from the tram so not the best for transport.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Function room at Woodlands hotel Coburg.

Opulent, Fine modern Australian food, Memorable, slightly pricey.

http://www.thewoodlandshotel.com.au/
Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post

Slightly off topic but where does one go for impersonator performers?

ie Rod Steward?

Did not have much luck with Google
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

What night of the week? Collins Quarter is nice but I believe they have a pretty hefty minimum spend for a Saturday night, not so much the other nights.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz View Post
Hi Melbourne peeps

I want to celebrate my 40th birthday in some sort of style but without breaking the bank. I was thinking either a sit-down dinner (for about 30 to 40 people) and I shout the drinks or a bar/pub thing with finger food and a tab. I am not really a pub person normally though so I would probably need a private room or a very special place. I was thinking along the lines of a micro-brewery, a wine bar or such like...

We live in the north-eastern burbs so it would have to be around this way or in the inner city to be accessible to most our friends.

I will also take suggestions for a good caterer that could come to my place as our house could accommodate the numbers but I don't want to headaches of organising food and stuff.

My birthday is in August so would most likely have to be indoors (t'was better in the northerm hemisphere )

All suggestions taken! Cheers!
If you are looking for dinner options SIL had her 40th at De Bortoli's in the Yarra Valley. Twas beautiful albeit just after Black Saturday. Sit down dinner in private room for about 25 people.

Another formal option - The Centre Ivanhoe. V nice also. Been there for school function which was also v nice. Not sure of what their smallest number would be.

There is a private function room at Barkly's Hotel Heidelberg - we eat there frequently and food is very nice.

Veneto Club at Bulleen has an area in their Bistro for a private function. Food is v good. We have had various functions there - birthdays, Confirmations etc.

HTH
Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:05 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 View Post
Slightly off topic but where does one go for impersonator performers?

ie Rod Steward?

Did not have much luck with Google
Do you want to hire a Rod Stewart tribute band ?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet View Post
Do you want to hire a Rod Stewart tribute band ?
Yes
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:37 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 View Post
Yes
http://www.westsidetalent.com.au/tribute_shows.htm

You owe me big time!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ukecadet View Post
Yes thank you Karma your way
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee View Post
Don't know anywhere in the city, but the Murder Mystery evenings on the Puffing Billy Railway are supposed to be a great night. About $100 a head, 3 course meal and entertainment x
Thanks Jilliebee. It sounds great and would love to do it with a small party, but would be too expensive for what I have in mind this time.

Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
Some great places Bayside. Do you want details or too far?
Thanks Hebe, but Bayside is indeed a bit too far seeing that most of our friends live this side of the city.

Originally Posted by Peepster View Post
Hi Elice - Transit bar which is the top floor of Transport in Fed Square is a really good space for those sort of numbers - fantastic roof terrace, I've been to a few private do's there and they've all been great. Easy for everyone to get to too. Or as Hebe says lots of places Bayside - upstairs at The Pier is always good but it's a good 10mins walk from the tram so not the best for transport.
I went to Transit years ago. I might look into it and see how much they charge. It would be an easy one for access!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
Will look into it as well Ozzie. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Almo View Post
What night of the week? Collins Quarter is nice but I believe they have a pretty hefty minimum spend for a Saturday night, not so much the other nights.
I was thinking a Friday night. Where/what is Collins Quarter? I might google it

Originally Posted by OzSheila View Post
If you are looking for dinner options SIL had her 40th at De Bortoli's in the Yarra Valley. Twas beautiful albeit just after Black Saturday. Sit down dinner in private room for about 25 people.
Another formal option - The Centre Ivanhoe. V nice also. Been there for school function which was also v nice. Not sure of what their smallest number would be.
There is a private function room at Barkly's Hotel Heidelberg - we eat there frequently and food is very nice.
Veneto Club at Bulleen has an area in their Bistro for a private function. Food is v good. We have had various functions there - birthdays, Confirmations etc.
HTH
Thanks OzSheila Yarra Valley might be a bit far for an evening thing. I'll have a look at your other suggestions since they are just down the road.

Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions for me to explore!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Collins Quarter is at the Paris end of Collins, up near Mamasita. It's a bar/series of bar type thing. Hard to explain! Has various areas including a cigar bar.