Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This SKILLED visa thing is all wrong

Wikiposts

This SKILLED visa thing is all wrong

Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:11 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This SKILLED visa thing is all wrong

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Try Bombay Blue on Church St in Parramatta

Parramatta??? There's dragons out there...

S
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:14 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
...and arent tossing it off...every half hour.
I didn't know that! I am going to start wiping the seat before I sit down.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But that's the same everywhere in the world surely? In the UK it definitely was but because 'you' knew so many more people and people who knew people the jobs appeared more forthcoming. Here it will take years to build up that same sized network so it seems harder now.
Never found it in the UK, do find it here.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

every place OH has worked he's found they like Poms because they work hard and arent tossing it off or having smokos every half hour.
I had an Aussie collegue tell me this, but it was more of a dig! ...

Originally Posted by DrWho
tried a Madras last week and it was almost as hot...!
Should be, and in the UK some places the Madras WAS hotter than the Vindaloo!

But that's the same everywhere in the world surely? In the UK it definitely was but because 'you' knew so many more people and people who knew people the jobs appeared more forthcoming. Here it will take years to build up that same sized network so it seems harder now.

We (K) frequently have hot curries. We've never had a problem
Yeah fair point!

Tell me from where and I'll grab a take away and get back. I REALLY would travel for an hour for a curry half as good as the UK ones, honest!

In the UK our weekly treat was a curry from the Abbots Tandoori in Abbots Langley funny enough, but you also had the Viceroy across the road which too was very good! ... Hey lenny Henry eats there so it MUST be! ...

I think we was spoilt, but we DID get accustomed to VERY good curries and the Abbots is a top 10 winner from all of the UK!

As I say we've tried a few from reccomendations on here and I've left half of the meal twice. I wouldn't give my dog it! (not that I ever did, but you know what I mean).

One of the few things we miss from the UK is a 'good' curry and I think if we found one, we'd be made! ...

Originally Posted by worzel
I didn't know that! I am going to start wiping the seat before I sit down.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Never found it in the UK, do find it here.
All the jobs hubby had and most of the ones I had in the UK were because people mentioned them to us. Maybe it was just us
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

All the jobs hubby had and most of the ones I had in the UK were because people mentioned them to us. Maybe it was just us
maybe you were lucky, never happened for me...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in South Africa, UK and Australia and found that this is the easist place to find a job - by a long way.

I was offered 4 jobs on my 1st day of looking - 3 days after arriving. The 1st interview I had and the opening line was 'do you want a job?'.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Tell me from where and I'll grab a take away and get back.
?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
?
Sorry The Indian Hut at Christine Corner is very good. All the main 'meals' you get asked if you want mild medium or hot. K had a Chicken Madras hot once and now does medium hot. He used to have vindaloo in the UK all the time. We all love it and the naans are good too. Get onto the Bundall Road, keep going down onto Burmuda Avenue and it's in the shopping precinct on the right at the crossroads. The other one is at Robina but will have to check on the name because I can't remember it. Very small, basic looking place but good food. Neither of them do proper poppadoms though - microwaved, not fried. I do them myself now, unless we're eating at the restaurants - I think they'd be a bit confused if we turned up with our own poppadoms

There's also the Spice Avenue up in Birkdale, Brissie which is a tad further but very good.

Edit: You may hate them though, we all have different standards regardless of where we used to live

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 10th 2008 at 8:09 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Sorry The Indian Hut at Christine Corner is very good. All the main 'meals' you get asked if you want mild medium or hot. K had a Chicken Madras hot once and now does medium hot. He used to have vindaloo in the UK all the time. We all love it and the naans are good too. Get onto the Bundall Road, keep going down onto Burmuda Avenue and it's in the shopping precinct on the right at the crossroads. The other one is at Robina but will have to check on the name because I can't remember it. Very small, basic looking place but good food. Neither of them do proper poppadoms though - microwaved, not fried. I do them myself now, unless we're eating at the restaurants - I think they'd be a bit confused if we turned up with our own poppadoms

There's also the Spice Avenue up in Birkdale, Brissie which is a tad further but very good.

Edit: You may hate them though, we all have different standards regardless of where we used to live
Ok nice one. Will def check one or three out soon ...

Spice Avenue I've heard of before, but then I'd heard of Whispers or something like that just up from Harbour Town and that was one I just couldn't eat ... I think they substituted the chicken for Poodle or something like that ... yuk! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PAP01
Spice ave 38229822. Its in Birkdale. go to page two and check out expats curry league
Sorry, missed this first time round ...

Cheers ...