Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Skilled Migrant Intake to be Cut!

Skilled Migrant Intake to be Cut!

Old May 1st 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all
Default Skilled Migrant Intake to be Cut!

Skilled migrant intake is believed to be cut further in the budget to less than 110,000 next financial year. (115,000 currently)

Employer applications for 457 visas have also fallen because of the global financial crisis. The number of temporary skilled migrants entering Australia fell by 35 per cent in March.

Full story here
Old May 1st 2009, 8:56 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled Migrant Intake to be Cut!

Originally Posted by northernlights
Skilled migrant intake is believed to be cut further in the budget to less than 110,000 next financial year. (115,000 currently)

Employer applications for 457 visas have also fallen because of the global financial crisis. The number of temporary skilled migrants entering Australia fell by 35 per cent in March.

Full story here
If was an Oz politician at this moment I would be standing up and banging on about getting all permanent immigration stopped until the downturn was over. Only 457's allowed and only then in very limited occupations.... I think that would make me very popular with a good part of the Oz electorate.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If was an Oz politician at this moment I would be standing up and banging on about getting all permanent immigration stopped until the downturn was over. Only 457's allowed and only then in very limited occupations.... I think that would make me very popular with a good part of the Oz electorate.
Agreed, especially with a possible election looming in the next 18 months.

The only downside to that argument would be that skilled migrants bring in money, spend money, buy houses, cars, white goods, etc all to keep the economy going.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Obviously your not on a 457 and currently applying for PR then.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:18 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Uranus is right, even migrants dont feel the need to happily welcome more migrants in in these times.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So a possible reduction of +/- 5,000 worldwide migrants. Hardly a big deal and probably not hugely different from other years when such things happen without a word to the general public.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zambia
Uranus is right, even migrants dont feel the need to happily welcome more migrants in in these times.
Surely that must depend on what the migrant is going to do. Agreed if they are taking jobs from people already in the country but not all are doing that - some are acting as a catalyst for expanding work in Oz.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

ponzi scheme getting unraveled.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Thank God you are not Oz politician
Old May 1st 2009, 1:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not many years ago the SMI was a lot less than it is today - I think it was about 70k at one stage in the 90s. So 110k is still quite a lot.

More sensationalism.
Old May 1st 2009, 1:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Skilled Migrant Intake to be Cut!

"Government in 'Sensible Immigration Policy' Shocker!"
Old May 1st 2009, 1:38 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

ok, I'll let them do it as long as it doesn't hurt to much or leave a scar, otherwise i will withdraw my application.
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

It looks like the UK is doing the same sort of thing.

Construction removed from skilled workers 'shortage list'

14:28 29 Apr 2009
By Neil Gerrard

The government's Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) has ordered the immediate removal of 100,000 construction jobs from its "shortage list" of skilled professions.

In all, the list has been cut by nearly 300,000 because of sharply rising redundancies and unemployment.

The list had claimed that the UK needed more than 100,000 skilled construction jobs, including managers and quantity surveyors.
http://www.contractjournal.com/Artic...tage-list.html

I would expect that a lot of governments will be making these populist type decisions at the moment. Whether cutting a few thousand immigrants actually helps the economy is another matter, but I suppose it gets good headlines for the ruling party.
Old May 2nd 2009, 1:00 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

I would vote for you 110%.

I would stop any type of visa migrant working approval, and find out who is actually unemployed in the market and what jobs are on offer and match them.
Any 457 that isnt needed and they are unemployed, well sorry first to go, your out. Existing applications, put on hold, and anyone with a recent citizenship who is going to leave to live in Uk as they dont like Aus or cant handle it, well the Government should cancel the citizenship and right to live here, that isnt what they signed up for is it???

I have come across alot of poeple looking for work recently, professional types, so would start to aligning this area first.

The tradies well, I don't have much sympathy for this group, I hoped they saved the $$$ they have earnt over the past few years in the BOOM, the good ones will continue to earn the money that is a fact.

Another political rant, I would cancel the stimulus and push this money into required infrastructure for the people.

Just my rant...

Old May 2nd 2009, 1:14 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Surely that must depend on what the migrant is going to do. Agreed if they are taking jobs from people already in the country but not all are doing that - some are acting as a catalyst for expanding work in Oz.
True , example we cant seem to get enough Medical staff. Unless there are nurses out there that cant get work that disagree with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.