Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Singin' (anyone sing?)

Singin' (anyone sing?)

Old May 6th 2012, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singin' (anyone sing?)

Oh yes, I've sung Carmina Burana at the Albert hall. Stupendous organ and timpani, and the soprano who sang "dulcissime" made me cry. Such a beautiful incredibly high note.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:12 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Oh yes, I've sung Carmina Burana at the Albert hall. Stupendous organ and timpani, and the soprano who sang "dulcissime" made me cry. Such a beautiful incredibly high note.
Awesome isn't it? Even though it's a loud dirty piece it gave me goosebumps when singing it. The RAH is bloody hot though, especially with all the lights.

Aside: the choir I was in do a Christmas cheesy spectacular every year before which the singers get p!shed as it's the only way to get through the horrors of White Christmas etc. At the interval of one such event my alto chum and i decided to have a bit of a stroll, forgetting that the RAH is circular...after a few laps we went backstage again to go on stage, only to find that the rest of the choir, orchestra etc were all on stage already Cue us shuffling on, past the orchestra, past all the basses and tenors (who tutted comically and pinched our bums) and taking our seats next to the choir chairperson who gave us a stern parental type look...sadly, it wasn't the first, or last, time we did this
Old May 8th 2012, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Awesome isn't it? Even though it's a loud dirty piece it gave me goosebumps when singing it. The RAH is bloody hot though, especially with all the lights.

Aside: the choir I was in do a Christmas cheesy spectacular every year before which the singers get p!shed as it's the only way to get through the horrors of White Christmas etc. At the interval of one such event my alto chum and i decided to have a bit of a stroll, forgetting that the RAH is circular...after a few laps we went backstage again to go on stage, only to find that the rest of the choir, orchestra etc were all on stage already Cue us shuffling on, past the orchestra, past all the basses and tenors (who tutted comically and pinched our bums) and taking our seats next to the choir chairperson who gave us a stern parental type look...sadly, it wasn't the first, or last, time we did this
So Altos get pinched now do they? Back in the day, it was us trebles who got sore bottoms...
Old May 8th 2012, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
So Altos get pinched now do they? Back in the day, it was us trebles who got sore bottoms...
As an Alto I never got pinched, although I was much in demand as I could hold the line- people used to fight to stand next to me so they could get it right!!!!

Tenors are a rare breed and need looking after.
Old May 9th 2012, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As an Alto I never got pinched, although I was much in demand as I could hold the line- people used to fight to stand next to me so they could get it right!!!!

Tenors are a rare breed and need looking after.
So I'm told...is this true - it's no big deal - I've been told true Basses are as rare. I am very much a dramatic tenor...it's not so much the pitch, the voice too.
Old May 9th 2012, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So I'm told...is this true - it's no big deal - I've been told true Basses are as rare. I am very much a dramatic tenor...it's not so much the pitch, the voice too.
It depends on the quality of the Bass (and how good looking he is), but once you get a tenor, keep him.

I was always slightly jealous of the ability of a young lean male tenor to get whatever role he wanted, even if he was not the best actor.

As for being dramatic- is that you flouncing, or are you saying you were good?
Old May 9th 2012, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It depends on the quality of the Bass (and how good looking he is), but once you get a tenor, keep him.

I was always slightly jealous of the ability of a young lean male tenor to get whatever role he wanted, even if he was not the best actor.

As for being dramatic- is that you flouncing, or are you saying you were good?
I ballsed that up - I meant that in terms of pitch I am a tenor, but I probably sound fuller in the voice...and therefore deeper - it's a trick. I am not an overly light tenor yet I can't do deeper notes that a Baritone would manage. I probably pitch up to sing as I probably have a Baritone speaking voice.

I am not good - but I can sing - I do occasionally turn heads - and people say - wow - you 'can actually sing!' I am a bit like Michael Ball in Love Changes Everything - that is the song I do best - and to a point, even a bit like he does.
Old May 9th 2012, 3:48 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I ballsed that up - I meant that in terms of pitch I am a tenor, but I probably sound fuller in the voice...and therefore deeper - it's a trick. I am not an overly light tenor yet I can't do deeper notes that a Baritone would manage. I probably pitch up to sing as I probably have a Baritone speaking voice.

I am not good - but I can sing - I do occasionally turn heads - and people say - wow - you 'can actually sing!' I am a bit like Michael Ball in Love Changes Everything - that is the song I do best - and to a point, even a bit like he does.
Love changes everything was in my old repertoire.How do you go with the B flat at the end?Now be honest
Old May 9th 2012, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Love changes everything was in my old repertoire.How do you go with the B flat at the end?Now be honest
If memory serves, if I have warmed up...I just make it...and it might be falsetto.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:48 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

If memory serves, if I have warmed up...I just make it...and it might be falsetto.
The last bar can mess you up.It's a mindset thing.You may have in the back of your head'God this is getting higher and higher' and you'll croak it.On the other hand if you think to yourself'this is like climbing an easy staircase;step by step by step and your're at the top'.
Visualise Badge!Visualise!!!.Failing that keep doing the falsetto.It's perfectly acceptable
Old May 9th 2012, 9:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I sang in shool and church choirs, was a tenor, but haven't done any singing for years now. Sung at many music festivals aroung the Midlands of the UK, our choir was rarely out of the top two, and at one music festival we entered 6 quartetes, and took the top 6 places. I did have singing lessons for a few years.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukecadet
The last bar can mess you up.It's a mindset thing.You may have in the back of your head'God this is getting higher and higher' and you'll croak it.On the other hand if you think to yourself'this is like climbing an easy staircase;step by step by step and your're at the top'.
Visualise Badge!Visualise!!!.Failing that keep doing the falsetto.It's perfectly acceptable
Mate it's funny you should say that because that is how it is...only I hadn't thought about it....you've illustrated it for me...thanks !

I find mood is everything.....some days I can sing others I can bottle it...
Old May 9th 2012, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

All this enusiasm for singing, I would suggest someone start a BE Barbie Choir...

Only you'd never get them all to sing from the same Hymn sheet...
Old May 9th 2012, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by eddie007
All this enusiasm for singing, I would suggest someone start a BE Barbie Choir...

Only you'd never get them all to sing from the same Hymn sheet...
As long as we sing with Gusto - there's a bloke of that name in every choir..
Old May 10th 2012, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who will conduct this little experiment????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.