Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Singapore on holiday

Singapore on holiday

Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Singapore on holiday

Anyone been ? Did you enjoy yourself ? How long would you need ? Accommodation recommendations, shopping areas etc !
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:42 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore on holiday

Originally Posted by melaniee
Anyone been ? Did you enjoy yourself ? How long would you need ? Accommodation recommendations, shopping areas etc !
Yes I went a few years ago, yes I enjoyed myself and not very long really it is only small.

We did the night safari and Sentosa and went on a guided tour where the guide was brilliant basically we covered the island on a whistle stop tour. I'd go again.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've been. Well I had six years there, give or take, but I think you can get round it in a bit less than that.

Have a look at the link in my signature for some ideas of things to do.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

HOw many nights would you recommend for a mini break ?

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've been. Well I had six years there, give or take, but I think you can get round it in a bit less than that.

Have a look at the link in my signature for some ideas of things to do.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:00 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

HOw many nights would you recommend for a mini break ?
I think 3 would be fine
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:04 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I usually have a 2 night, 3 day stopover but then I don't do anything touristy (just shop, eat, see friends). I would say 4 days if you have kids and want to do all the zoo, night safari, bird park, etc. Longer if you want to waste a day on the (man-made, not very nice) beach and/or shop.

If you have longer you could take a one hour ferry to Bintan, Indonesia, for a couple of nights on a better beach.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now I like the sound of that ! Where can I find out more ?!

Oooh, just found this !

http://www.welcometobintan.com/about.asp

If you have longer you could take a one hour ferry to Bintan, Indonesia, for a couple of nights on a better beach.

Last edited by melaniee; Jul 13th 2009 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:22 pm
Auntie Fa

There is also http://www.bintan-resorts.com/brcms/Default.aspx

Don't, whatever you do, get mixed up and go to Batam.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:26 pm
Auntie Fa

BTW Bintan is not fantastic, and it's not Bali, but a lot of locals and expats go there for weekends to get out of the city.

Alternatively you could take the bus into Malaysia, spend a night or two in KL perhaps, but it's not that different from Singapore really. Just a bit rougher.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough

I spent 3 nights in singapore 2 months ago.

Absolutely loved it, stay near to Orchard Road as thats where all the action happens, Its one of my fave places to go for a short break. When your there just chat to the locals and they will help you anyway they can, they are absolutely lovely. Cannot reccommend the place enough.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just realised what expense taste you lot have in hotels !
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Singapore is not a cheap place to stay by Asian standards, Melaniee.

I can recommend you some more budgety hotels if you wish, but they really are no frills. Hangout @ Mount Emily (it's where we stay now, get a private room with ensuite and it's fine if all you do is sleep), the YWCA at Fort Canning Lodge, RELC Hotel.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

mehrafarin is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW Bintan is not fantastic, and it's not Bali, but a lot of locals and expats go there for weekends to get out of the city.

Alternatively you could take the bus into Malaysia, spend a night or two in KL perhaps, but it's not that different from Singapore really. Just a bit rougher.
If you want to go to a beach that's nicer than Bintan. You can consider Pulau Rawa in malaysia. You've got to take a bus or cab to Mersing (3-4 hour drive) and then take a short ferry ride to Rawa. Rawa is simply amazing. But you've got to book in advance as there are only two resorts on the island ( one very nice one and one older and more run down)
If those resorts are fully booked you can go to pulau Tiamon which is a bit farther away ( but the same ferries usually take you there) I think Tiamon is much nicer than bintan as well.. it's not that touristy.. it has nice beaches and nice rainforests you could trek.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:21 am
Auntie Fa

Hmm, yeah - I didn't recommend them as they're a bit of a faff to get to on a stopover but with plenty of time they would be better, depending on the time of year.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

I've been a few times and alway enjoy it, great choice of food too. Lots of budget hotels around Kalang area near the metro station. If you're like us you don't like spending too much on a room you hardly ever see. The metro will take you into the city and is very cheap with the top up card. The botanic gardens are a nice victorian relic and the zoo is good too. People do speak English but I have problems understanding it sometimes. Sentosa have a laser-water show that is good, I think it's every night. The country has got big plans for Sentosa island. When you arrive at the airport there are tons of leaflets with things to do and accommodation. It is rainy season here in Asia at the moment so you won't be paying peak price for anything but you can expect to get wet at some point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.