Shrinking stuff

Old Dec 28th 2006, 7:52 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default Shrinking stuff

Now I've had a foul day, with 7 days to go :scared: and my house is a tip and my mum's got all emotional.
BUT I have now temporarily cheered up because I have been using my incredible shrinking bags from Argos - you suck the air out of them and everything shrinks. Big quilts go to nothing!
and it got me thinking - I'm coming over on a 457 visa on QANTAS and get a lousy 20 kg allowance BUT what if I was to shrink stuff and bung it in my case? they're a bit lighter but will Ozzie customs get all sniffy? I don't hold out much hope of getting things back to normal size, but I'm on a roll now.....
anyone done this?
Old Dec 28th 2006, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shrinking stuff

Originally Posted by Caroline B
Now I've had a foul day, with 7 days to go :scared: and my house is a tip and my mum's got all emotional.
BUT I have now temporarily cheered up because I have been using my incredible shrinking bags from Argos - you suck the air out of them and everything shrinks. Big quilts go to nothing!
and it got me thinking - I'm coming over on a 457 visa on QANTAS and get a lousy 20 kg allowance BUT what if I was to shrink stuff and bung it in my case? they're a bit lighter but will Ozzie customs get all sniffy? I don't hold out much hope of getting things back to normal size, but I'm on a roll now.....
anyone done this?
Although squashed, wont it weigh the same
Old Dec 28th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Although squashed, wont it weigh the same
Yes!!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 8:04 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

my hubby is a science teacher and says it will weigh less....
It certainly seems to weigh less. But maybe I'm just after an excuse to shrink stuff.........you can fit more cr@p in your case anyway.....
Old Dec 28th 2006, 8:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll want to hope the security people either in UK or your stopover country don't open your suitcase and want to open those vacuum bags. Everything will be it's original size and won't fit back in your suitcases.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

It certainly seems to weigh less. But maybe I'm just after an excuse to shrink stuff.........you can fit more cr@p in your case anyway.....
LOL.....if anyone weighs more than they should at their medical, they should tell the doc it's cos they're full of air

Good luck with filling the case
Old Dec 28th 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

anyone done this?

Hi

I used them when i sent stuff over, quilts, towels, beding.etc..mind they go as hard as rock. God knows what the stuff will be like when i finally get it...Wish id thought to get some for my suitcase though..mind still have time, i travel sunday..an i can always stick my teenage son in one and suck all the hot air out of him.

good luck with your packing..
Old Dec 28th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Technically it will weigh marginally less as you have taken out some air. But the duvet itself (less the air that was making it all fluffy) will still weigh exactly the same as before because it is made up of all the exact same material. So your hubby is not lying, but TBH I don't think it will make a significant difference to how much you can take with you. Sorry!
On the plus side, it is certainly a space saver.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but as its being weighed in atmosphere, it will weigh the same. Think of it this way... If you suck all the air out of a balloon does it weigh less?

No, in a vacuum it would weigh less, but last I looked, Qantas and BA don't weigh bags in a vacuum. They weigh them in the atmosphere, so sucking the air out makes no difference, the volume of air sucked out will be replaced by air from the atmosphere outside the now smaller bag.

JTL
Originally Posted by esperanza
Technically it will weigh marginally less as you have taken out some air. But the duvet itself (less the air that was making it all fluffy) will still weigh exactly the same as before because it is made up of all the exact same material. So your hubby is not lying, but TBH I don't think it will make a significant difference to how much you can take with you. Sorry!
On the plus side, it is certainly a space saver.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yeah, but as its being weighed in atmosphere, it will weigh the same. Think of it this way... If you suck all the air out of a balloon does it weigh less?

No, in a vacuum it would weigh less, but last I looked, Qantas and BA don't weigh bags in a vacuum. They weigh them in the atmosphere, so sucking the air out makes no difference, the volume of air sucked out will be replaced by air from the atmosphere outside the now smaller bag.

JTL
Ooooh! Hark at you getting all technical! I will have to do further research....
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I have a brilliant idea but not sure the OP's science teacher husband will agree?!

As there is no limit on the number of bags you're allowed to check in, how about getting 30 (or 60 or 90 or however many you can afford to buy) large super-lightweight suitcases per person, fill each suitcase with lots of helium balloons and a small amount of person effects. The helium balloons should lift the suitcases a fair bit, giving a total weight of under 20kgs.

Mind you if you ever watch Mythbusters, you may end up having to get suitcases size of your house to do the task... Oh forget it, there is a limit on the size of each suitcase...

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by esperanza
Ooooh! Hark at you getting all technical! I will have to do further research....
Forget the 'further research' . Sucking air out of a bag makes no difference to its weight, unless you are going to weigh it in a vacuum.

Or I suppose alternatively if you put alot of air under high pressure (say 3 or 4 times the normal atmosphric pressure) in a bag, and then weighed it, it would be ever so slightly heavier than a bag at normal atmospheric pressure.

But thats just stupid. I'd go with the my wifes Helium balloons idea

JTL
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:20 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You'll want to hope the security people either in UK or your stopover country don't open your suitcase and want to open those vacuum bags. Everything will be it's original size and won't fit back in your suitcases.
You can get the same sort of bags that you just roll up to remove the air rather than using a vacuum cleaner - so if you had to open them at customs you could re-roll them to fit back in your case!

Tiggs
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Shrinking stuff

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
Dead right.
Wife now knows I'm crazy. I've just conducted this experiment. Same weight as with air.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:38 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You can use any plastic bag or refuse sack to do the same.

I use black refuse sacks.

Vacuum out the air
Twist the top around
Fold the neck over on itself
Put a strong elastic band over it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.