Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should we get a dog?

Should we get a dog?

Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we get a dog?

She looks lovely, such soulful eyes!
Hope it all works out
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:47 am
Just Joined

eggs is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope it all goes well for you, i've always had dogs throughout growing up in the UK and now i don't have one it sort of feel wrong, am sure i'll be getting myself one too soon
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice is to make sure you get pet insurance!

Ours had lapsed ... ... and on Tues our chap needs x-rays ($400 odd) and a possible operation on his knee ($1,000 odd)

Money we don't have, but will sell something to pay for it ...
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Ours had lapsed ... ... and on Tues our chap needs x-rays ($400 odd) and a possible operation on his knee ($1,000 odd)

Our dogs have cost us a fortune over the years. Our female went missing when we were at a BBQ at my sisters house one night years ago. My husband was beside himself and wanted to post a $10,000 reward to get her back. We ended up agreeing on $1,000 and put up posters and phoned a radio station to broadcast it for us. The woman who phoned to say she had her sounded like she'd won the lottery. Put her hand out for the reward before she'd hand over the dog too.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
Our dogs have cost us a fortune over the years. Our female went missing when we were at a BBQ at my sisters house one night years ago. My husband was beside himself and wanted to post a $10,000 reward to get her back. We ended up agreeing on $1,000 and put up posters and phoned a radio station to broadcast it for us. The woman who phoned to say she had her sounded like she'd won the lottery. Put her hand out for the reward before she'd hand over the dog too.
Yeah my dog got out of this house the day we was moving in, I was in a state ... ... but we got him back the next day ... He'd shot round the corner to a house that had a bitch there on heat ... ... and spent the night there ...

Funniest bit was he tore the pads on his rear legs as he was ... err ... at it all night, and they had a concrete yard. I said to the owner when they returned him "but he's been castrated!!" ... to which he replies "yeah, but no ones told him!" ...
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my dog got out of this house the day we was moving in, I was in a state ... ... but we got him back the next day ... He'd shot round the corner to a house that had a bitch there on heat ... ... and spent the night there ...

Funniest bit was he tore the pads on his rear legs as he was ... err ... at it all night, and they had a concrete yard. I said to the owner when they returned him "but he's been castrated!!" ... to which he replies "yeah, but no ones told him!" ...
Our male was never castrated but used to do similar things often. They'd both escape during storms if we weren't home too. Decided after the first costly outing that we'd put our mobile phone number on their collars and get them microchipped. That did the trick, they always ended up at home without too much fuss after that. Only cost us beer, wine and chocolates as thankyou gifts from that time on.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:32 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Good avice about pet insurance.

I remember when my cat had pancreatic cancer, the bill was a thousand pounds and the insurance covered it and we only had to pay about a hundred.

Even putting a bit of money by each week wouldnt cover some of the stuff vets charge.

We have insured Gordon through Pet Plan Australia and we paid $195 for the whole year.

I would rather have it and not use it but have the peace of mind.

Hope your dog is OK Paul, keep me posted - he is a lovely little dog.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:41 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Good avice about pet insurance.

I remember when my cat had pancreatic cancer, the bill was a thousand pounds and the insurance covered it and we only had to pay about a hundred.

Even putting a bit of money by each week wouldnt cover some of the stuff vets charge.

We have insured Gordon through Pet Plan Australia and we paid $195 for the whole year.

I would rather have it and not use it but have the peace of mind.

Hope your dog is OK Paul, keep me posted - he is a lovely little dog.
We have also insured our dog with petplan, $350 for the year.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:42 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We have also insured our dog with petplan, $350 for the year.
Its not a bad price I think, we paid up for the year and they gave us a discount.

Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:46 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Its not a bad price I think, we paid up for the year and they gave us a discount.

Certainly isn't a bad price, I have already been once at a cost of $100 and now he has a bad eye and may have to take him again this week.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame, C. Hope it turns out to be not too serious. We're looking at getting Moose insured. He's pretty healthy, but likes to eat things not edible, so it may be a good investment. He's already had one intestinal block from eating a sock, pair of my undies and a large chunk of fabric from the coat I was making. Dumb dog!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's a shame, C. Hope it turns out to be not too serious. We're looking at getting Moose insured. He's pretty healthy, but likes to eat things not edible, so it may be a good investment. He's already had one intestinal block from eating a sock, pair of my undies and a large chunk of fabric from the coat I was making. Dumb dog!
He is fine D, just had a bit of a problem with his eyelid on one eye. As for eating, I hear you. Duke also likes socks and is particularly partial to small polly pocket parts left on the floor by my youngest!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Certainly isn't a bad price, I have already been once at a cost of $100 and now he has a bad eye and may have to take him again this week.
that's good, will have to have a look.... i used to have insurance for the cats in the UK and yes, when Holly was ill they did cover expensive bills, but when I added it up it had cost me far more in premiums.....
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look at their website and saw this

http://www.petplan.com.au/pet_insurance_news.asp

Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:47 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
he is 3 years old so hopefully house trained
I was always brought up with cats and despised dogs BUT in 1999 we got a jack russell from the pound and the joy and pleasure we got from him and the constant pleasure of love towards us was an absolute joy .
So i reckon go get him and enjoy ,sadly ours has passed on now and he has pride of place in the garden and gets flowers picked from our garden everyweek .You cant do that with the relatives .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.