Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should overweight passengers pay 'fat tax' on flights?

Should overweight passengers pay 'fat tax' on flights?

Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should overweight passengers pay 'fat tax' on flights?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Forget that, I want an extra supplement for screaming kids.
I was so looking forward to getting my payback when I had kids. Then they decided to put child quietners in the back of every seat so mine didn't make a squeak of noise......
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:58 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

One opf the great joys of flying is finding that theres a 5yr old kid sat in front of you. They are old enough to sit and be entertained silently by the endless stream of crappy movies and dont recline their chair because arent strong enough to push it back!

I was lucky enough to have kids in front of me for 3 out of 4 legs of our flights over xmas! (..and for the record also sat either side of me - so I could put in all my crap in their seat pockets and had a spare 0.5cm of clearance between my knees and the seat in front... BLISS!!!)
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
One opf the great joys of flying is finding that theres a 5yr old kid sat in front of you. They are old enough to sit and be entertained silently by the endless stream of crappy movies and dont recline their chair because arent strong enough to push it back!
This all sounds so alien...surely the seats have little electric buttons for recline!?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:20 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Maybe they could remove a few rows of seats in the middle of the plane and have an all you can eat buffet.How good would that be?
Bit like that one I went on once with the bar in the middle? Yeah, that would work, so long as they kept it well-stocked.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:54 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica

Theoretically, sure. Logistically, a nightmare. Imagine it...check in is long enough. Then you'd have people weighing in, taking off their shoes, jewellery, jackets and all before getting on the scale. Then you'd have groups of people travelling together arguing that well, since Joe's 10kg under the weight limit, Mary can have his 10kg because she's so fat along with 5kg from each of the kids. Then you'll have the ones that argue that they brought less luggage to compensate for total weight. Yeah, that'll speed things along...

How about total mass of passenger and luggage then?

S
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:55 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The seats should be of a comfortable size anyway, some seats are so small that you have to squash yourself into them. But if I had a woman ask me to lift up the arm rest so she could spread herself a bit I would refuse, I would not want someone elses bodyweight encroaching on to my seat - at all. Because if you need to spread yourself into someones seat then you need to pay for two seats.

But then ideally, the seats should be big enough - but how big is big enough and when do you draw the the line?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
A former Qantas economist believes that overweight passengers should have to pay more to fly citing that they cost more in fuel to lift into the air. What do you reckon?

It seems harsh and degrading for passengers - especially as it would put a large swathe of Queensland under virtual house arrest.
Yes, as long as I get to pay the vastly reduced price for my two kids who weight about 6 stone between them.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:31 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I pick my airlines on the cuteness of the hostesses, which rules out the flying grandma clubs of politically correct British Airways and QATAS. Anyway British Airways once accused me of killing a passenger and it made me miss my flight.

As for seat width, newer business class always seems to have ample roon for my svelt frame. The A380 has a great cocktail bar and buffet at the rear, absolutely tops.

I would use scales and an arse frame like they have for carry on luggage. Make them pay extra or take less luggage. My hours in the gym isn't to accommodate some traveling gut bucket

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jan 11th 2012 at 2:36 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:09 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Like this you mean?

Yeah, make them pay extra!

If they had seats this size (to fit),they take up two seats!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/de...y-94182647.jpg

Like this you mean?

Yeah, make them pay extra!

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08...at_450x300.jpg

If they had seats this size (to fit),they take up two seats!
That bloke can't be for real?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:47 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
That bloke can't be for real?
Bloke?????

Errrrr - that's ScottishCelts
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:54 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Bloke?????

Errrrr - that's ScottishCelts
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I thought some Indonesian airline did weigh passenger and luggage together. Quite right too.

When flying between Hawaiian islands you have to state your weight at check-in. Too much flab and someone has to wait for a later flight.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:02 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try losing some weight lard asses
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:33 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by lesleys
I thought some Indonesian airline did weigh passenger and luggage together. Quite right too.

When flying between Hawaiian islands you have to state your weight at check-in. Too much flab and someone has to wait for a later flight.
Adam air. They kept crashing.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.