Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should he get this tattoo??

Should he get this tattoo??

Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:41 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should he get this tattoo??

I did`nt mean for it to come accross that way, maybe a good idea just to watch the post and get opinions rather than me trying to make it into a debate, sorry

Originally Posted by curly
I wasn't having a go at you or anything, just giving my opinions, as for the football tops I have the same opinion, why advertise to everyone where you're from totally different if you're off to a footy match tho'
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:27 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I did`nt mean for it to come accross that way, maybe a good idea just to watch the post and get opinions rather than me trying to make it into a debate, sorry
I thought you were a bloke! You were the other day!

I loathe tattoos, purely because I have a father and grandfather who really regret having gotten tattoos at an earlier stage in life....the constant whittering has burned a big 'do not do' in my mind.

I think tattoos should be discreet enough to not affect you where ever you are ie best not on part of the body that will be visible with a short sleeved shirt on, the neck etc.... but everyone's different.

A tattoo has to be a symbol that you feel will remain relevant for the rest of your life.

If I had a haggis tattoo, I would make sure that the backside linked up with my belly button but that's just the twisted, irreverent type that I am
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:45 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Let him get it done! I know a couple of Aussies with made in Australia on their backs, so who cares.
Without starting a race war it does strike me as interesting that he has decided to get it done now, just as he leaves for OZ. Tell him that he doesn't need to assert himself as a Scot out there, they will still call him a Pom so it wont matter!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:46 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Let him get it done! I know a couple of Aussies with made in Australia on their backs, so who cares.
Without starting a race war it does strike me as interesting that he has decided to get it done now, just as he leaves for OZ. Tell him that he doesn't need to assert himself as a Scot out there, they will still call him a Pom so it wont matter!
Hey Gorgeous Tattoed one!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:47 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bloke now! the missus seems to use my account, i have checked out a few ofher posts/comments and can understand why it can be a bit confusing Honest i`m not Schitzophrenic. yes you are, NO i`m not,

Originally Posted by busterboy

I loathe tattoos, purely because I have a father and grandfather who really regret having gotten tattoos at an earlier stage in life....the constant whittering has burned a big 'do not do' in my mind.

I think tattoos should be discreet enough to not affect you where ever you are ie best not on part of the body that will be visible with a short sleeved shirt on, the neck etc.... but everyone's different.

A tattoo has to be a symbol that you feel will remain relevant for the rest of your life.

If I had a haggis tattoo, I would make sure that the backside linked up with my belly button but that's just the twisted, irreverent type that I am
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Hannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant future

I wouldn't say you 'loathe' them just because 2 people in your life regret theirs - i'm just making an assumption here but it's probably that you're father and grandfather had theirs done a long time ago when the art wasn't at the standard it is today - possibly bad military tatts? I know people who have had these - the old needle and indian ink story :scared: !!. If they hate them so much - you should suggest to them that they get them covered up with an piece of new art done properly by a proper tattooist? (Search 'tattoo cover-ups' and you'll see the amazing things they can do!)

We can all learn a lesson from your father and grandfather though- if u even think for 1 second that you might regret getting a tattoo - don't get it!

You do have the right attitude though - it should be something that u will love forever. However, i think that people should be able to put them where ever they want and not worry about what people say. The tattoo on my inner wrist is the one people can see the easiest and its also the one that people think is the nicest! I have about 7 more planned with the next one going on the back of my neck!!
We kive in a world now where there are far more shocking things than tattoos going on - just google things like deep surface piercings, scarification, mutilation....and you'll see what i mean - some very odd stuff!
Not everyone has to like tattoos and certainly not everyone has to get them but i just wish that people would appreciate them (the good ones) for the beautiful art works that they are and the artists for thier amazing talents!

Ok i'm done - rant over!!!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:52 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Gorgeous Tattoed one!

Hey honey! ows you then?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:11 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Hannah-Banana
I wouldn't say you 'loathe' them just because 2 people in your life regret theirs - i'm just making an assumption here but it's probably that you're father and grandfather had theirs done a long time ago when the art wasn't at the standard it is today - possibly bad military tatts? I know people who have had these - the old needle and indian ink story :scared: !!. If they hate them so much - you should suggest to them that they get them covered up with an piece of new art done properly by a proper tattooist? (Search 'tattoo cover-ups' and you'll see the amazing things they can do!)

Ok i'm done - rant over!!!
You actually can't tell people how they feel about something! I actually do loathe them. This is undoubtedly conditioning from two people who treated them as self-inflicted mutiliations. I think it would hard not to have a strong reaction after that although I stop short of their strength of feeling!

My father and grandfather had good work done for the time (I realise work has moved on) and regret them for reasons that don't influence you...that being that they were in highly visible places and as their lives changed, their tattoos stayed where they were. My father had his tattoos done when he raced speedway, they were no longer fitting when he was a Managing Director with tattoos (on his hands of all places)

I realise that times have moved on and do not hope to change the mind of anyone wishing a tattoo as many people feel that it an assertion of identity to tattoo themselves. My only wish and I really mean this, is to make sure you have what you want and that it's where you want and that you will want it for ever.

Incidentially tattoo removal is not 100% effective and is very expensive. My father says about his own tattoo removal 'They cost a fiver each to put on and a grand each to remove'.

Last edited by busterboy; Nov 24th 2006 at 5:21 am.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:11 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH plans to get a tattoo which will read "Son Of Scotland" at the top of his back.

Generally how will ppl take this?
OK, my opinion for what it's worth - I'd think he was some kind of tosser, a serious tosser! Nothing to do with him being Scottish or owt, if an English guy had 'son of England' I'd think the same......

Also agree with what someone else said in that, if he is having to ask what people think before he gets it, then he really shouldn't bother at all - believe me, I know! I have 10 tatts, several of them patriotically related, and yes, I feel very stupid when revealing them and having to explain why I had them!

At the end of the day, its a personal choice - if he is that patriotic and can live with the grief and regret they will inevitably cause, then he should go for it!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

I am a bloke now! the missus seems to use my account, i have checked out a few ofher posts/comments and can understand why it can be a bit confusing Honest i`m not Schitzophrenic. yes you are, NO i`m not,
What about having some tattood Bagpipes on your upper buttocks, this would get a laugh in any situation and avoid any hassles
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:37 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by jayjd12
What about having some tattood Bagpipes on your upper buttocks, this would get a laugh in any situation and avoid any hassles

See those are the type of tattoos that I would find funny!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 6:05 am
UK is Home

I did say earlier i wouldn't make this into a debate and i`m not, i just have to mention that its not the OH thats asking opinions its his Missus. As i mentioned earlier he wanted to do have this done for some time now.

I see that you mention you would think he was a serious tosser, is this got anything to do with what the tattoo would say be or just the tattoo in general? i`m sure people wouldn't have to ask the question why he got "son of Scotland" I would think this would be obvious. I`m sure there are many people who have tattoo`s, and just had them done cause they wanted to.

Yet again, i did ask for opinions on this and i appreciate your opinion

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
OK, my opinion for what it's worth - I'd think he was some kind of tosser, a serious tosser! Nothing to do with him being Scottish or owt, if an English guy had 'son of England' I'd think the same......

Also agree with what someone else said in that, if he is having to ask what people think before he gets it, then he really shouldn't bother at all - believe me, I know! I have 10 tatts, several of them patriotically related, and yes, I feel very stupid when revealing them and having to explain why I had them!

At the end of the day, its a personal choice - if he is that patriotic and can live with the grief and regret they will inevitably cause, then he should go for it!

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Nov 24th 2006 at 6:07 am.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 6:20 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I did say earlier i wouldn't make this into a debate and i`m not, i just have to mention that its not the OH thats asking opinions its his Missus. As i mentioned earlier he wanted to do have this done for some time now.

I see that you mention you would think he was a serious tosser, is this got anything to do with what the tattoo would say be or just the tattoo in general? i`m sure people wouldn't have to ask the question why he got "son of Scotland" I would think this would be obvious. I`m sure there are many people who have tattoo`s, and just had them done cause they wanted to.

Yet again, i did ask for opinions on this and i appreciate your opinion
I have 'proud to be British', amongst others, and virtually everyone who sees it asks me why I had it done.....even though you would think it was obvious!

The tosser comment would relate to having a 'patriotic' tattoo, based upon my experiences of them over the years!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 6:24 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I think women should'nt have tat's....it should just be a bloke thing
Old Nov 24th 2006, 6:40 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I think women should'nt have tat's....it should just be a bloke thing

Yeah! same as driving, and working, and earning their own money! Where do they get off wanting our stuff? Next you will tell me they can vote.............................................. .................................................. ...................................whats that? Dont be stupid! They cant vote! Politics is far too advanced for little women!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.