Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Should the relatives have been flown over by the govt?
Yes
31.11%
No
68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:33 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
It is not illegal to seek asylum, even arriving by boat.
Asylum process is a bit of a joke though. If you actually make it to your target country, be that Australia or the UK, your chances of ever being removed are almost nil. 90% of failed asylum seekers in the UK still get to stay.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Within Australia only and only for parents or dependents. No mention of next of kin.

So, if your parents live in the UK you are stuffed.
You would be pretty stuffed anyway as you would be dead but I get your point.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Lucky for you that you were born in a low risk country, could afford an education and had the opportunity to work in an economy that allowed you to develop the skills required to get a visa.

Personally I cant remember filling in the pre-conception or in-utero questionaire that gave me the option on which country I would like to be born in??? I guess I got lucky too.

Out of interest, do you happen to have any electric items in your house that might have been made in south east asia? Do you drink brazillian coffee? Do you drink Sri Lankan Tea? Russian Vodka? Petrol? From Saudi Arabia? My guess is that you take full advantage of the global economy for personal material gain yet you draw borders for those people who make that material gain possible for you.

Pffffft!

As for the original question.......of course yes. I would rather my contribution to society be spent on helping someone less fortunate than myself regardless of where they are from - than funding the arms trade, or the drug war.

Your arguments contain so many naive holes and errors of judgement that it would take a series of essays to put you right - ones which I don't have the time to write and I really don't expect you to "get" anyway.

So you prefer a borderless state of affairs? If that wish came true I wonder what and how long it would to take you to wish otherwise? The compulsory wearing of the burka perhaps? Or being afraid to go out in case of car hi-jackings/bombings? Does that sound idyllic to you? And remember that once such things come to pass it'll be too late to go into reverse gear and restore things back to the way they are today. The hard-earned legacy will have been squandered forever. If you feel so guilty about our first world lifestyle then why don't you move to the third world (if they'll let you). Maybe you'll be happier there?

Last edited by paulry; Feb 17th 2011 at 11:11 am.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:18 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
It is not illegal to seek asylum, even arriving by boat.
Sorry, wrongly put. What I meant was most of them are not genuine asylum seekers. They are economic migrants forcing themselves on the country in an uncontrolled manner..

BTW, following on from my previous post I have no problem with a managed system of allowing disadvantaged people from third world countries the opportunity of a western life. But as with the skilled migration route the emphasis has to be on managing the numbers coming here. A free-for-all system is both reckless and dangerous. The state should be the ones to decide who is the most deserving/needy and not those who by hook or by crook manage to wash themselves up on it's shores.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:47 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

Your arguments contain so many naive holes and errors of judgement that it would take a series of essays to put you right - ones which I don't have the time to write and I really don't expect you to "get" anyway.

So you prefer a borderless state of affairs? If that wish came true I wonder what and how long it would to take you to wish otherwise? The compulsory wearing of the burka perhaps? Or being afraid to go out in case of car hi-jackings/bombings? Does that sound idyllic to you? And remember that once such things come to pass it'll be too late to go into reverse gear and restore things back to the way they are today. The hard-earned legacy will have been squandered forever. If you feel so guilty about our first world lifestyle then why don't you move to the third world (if they'll let you). Maybe you'll be happier there?
I think you underestimate my level of intelligence. I would be happy to receive your essays and comment as appropriate. I am fully trained in the assessment of academic and vocational learning. however you will not be receiving a certificate.

my reference to borders was a lateral one, but of course you realise that, you being so clever and all. so I'm an idealist. and what? someone has to be! you're not allowed to shoot me for it. and if it were not for idealists we would all find ourselves in exactly the place you just described.

in answer to arses question....... no.....I am in favour of all human beings having the same rights and liberties as the next man, the development of the third world to create sustainable economy and the introduction of equality worldwide.

I hope that helps.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

in answer to arses question....... no.....I am in favour of all human beings having the same rights and liberties as the next man, the development of the third world to create sustainable economy and the introduction of equality worldwide.

I hope that helps.

Great ideals they are to... but in the current absence of equality throughout the globe, you seem to be suggesting that anybody who didn't have the same fortunate background as yourself, should not be excluded from migrating to Australia simply because they have no useful skills or education.... or have I misunderstood what you are saying?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:08 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Great ideals they are to... but in the current absence of equality throughout the globe, you seem to be suggesting that anybody who didn't have the same fortunate background as yourself, should not be excluded from migrating to Australia simply because they have no useful skills or education.... or have I misunderstood what you are saying?
I dont recall mentioning migration at all. So yes you have misundertsood me. My original post was made in digust at the comments made about non-citizens rights in comparison with citizens who died fighting for their country. (In fact the only right a dead person has is that of being buried or whatever in their chosen manner and for their last will and testament to be honoured but even that is open to debate), and then at the "entitlement" comment in relation to having done years of hard work etc blah blah blah. My intention was to point out that just because someone has skills, an education, etc does not afford them a higher level of basic human right than someone who was born in a stable, caught a few fish and happened to live in Israel. (sorry).

I havent mentioned that anyone should be let in, let off, locked out of anywhere. It just frustrates me that people make judgments about others based on where they are from, their financial wealth, their culture, religion, education etc. Yet they are happy to exploit them for their own gain.

The tragedy at Christmas Island was horrific - ask those that had to stand by and watch whilst being unable to help. Good on the government for doing something bloody nice for a change. Who cares if some of those poor people end up staying here as a result. Its a big country, theres plenty of room and they might just get the opportunity to better themselves, their education and their childrens futures as a result.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

I dont recall mentioning migration at all. So yes you have misundertsood me. My original post was made in digust at the comments made about non-citizens rights in comparison with citizens who died fighting for their country. (In fact the only right a dead person has is that of being buried or whatever in their chosen manner and for their last will and testament to be honoured but even that is open to debate), and then at the "entitlement" comment in relation to having done years of hard work etc blah blah blah. My intention was to point out that just because someone has skills, an education, etc does not afford them a higher level of basic human right than someone who was born in a stable, caught a few fish and happened to live in Israel. (sorry).

I havent mentioned that anyone should be let in, let off, locked out of anywhere. It just frustrates me that people make judgments about others based on where they are from, their financial wealth, their culture, religion, education etc. Yet they are happy to exploit them for their own gain.

The tragedy at Christmas Island was horrific - ask those that had to stand by and watch whilst being unable to help. Good on the government for doing something bloody nice for a change. Who cares if some of those poor people end up staying here as a result. Its a big country, theres plenty of room and they might just get the opportunity to better themselves, their education and their childrens futures as a result.
OK.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

they might just get the opportunity to better themselves, their education and their childrens futures as a result.
...and there's 100,000s of people in Australia who did exactly that and now make a good contribution to our society. They may not have entered Australia illegally, but they entered some other country illegally and ended up being resettled in Australia. To bring burkas, car jackings and bombings into this is quite ridiculous!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:21 pm
Banned

I think you underestimate my level of intelligence. I would be happy to receive your essays and comment as appropriate. I am fully trained in the assessment of academic and vocational learning. however you will not be receiving a certificate.

my reference to borders was a lateral one, but of course you realise that, you being so clever and all. so I'm an idealist. and what? someone has to be! you're not allowed to shoot me for it. and if it were not for idealists we would all find ourselves in exactly the place you just described.

I hope that helps.
You are an academc?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:27 pm
beach bum

You are an academc?
Is that what I said? I will refrain from joining the spelling police.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:28 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I will refrain from joining the spelling police.
I think you just did occifer!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:34 pm
Banned

Is that what I said? I will refrain from joining the spelling police.

So are you?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:48 pm
beach bum

So are you?
No.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:49 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think you just did occifer!
wasn't me. never said nowt. I'll deny it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.