Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Should the relatives have been flown over by the govt?
Yes
31.11%
No
68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
don't know the answer to whether the government pay for family members to attend a soldiers funeral but regardless, two wrongs don't make a right mate.
I work with a couple of ex-ADF people, I'll see if I can find out.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:19 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I work with a couple of ex-ADF people, I'll see if I can find out.
would be interesting to know mate
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
would be interesting to know mate
I'll try and remember to ask tomorrow. Found this in the meantime - have a look at Page 30

http://www.defence.gov.au/DPE/PAC/Aug_10_Vol2_Ch11.pdf
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and remember to ask tomorrow. Found this in the meantime - have a look at Page 30

Looks like page 30 answers the question - they do pay.

Case closed.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:25 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that I find it offensive that people are comparing the rights and respect afforded to Australian citizens who die fighting for their country with those of non-citizens who die illegally forcing their presence here.

The whole situation is very bizarre: It's like the owner of a house agreeing to pay for a squatter's relatives to visit him in hospital because the squatter sustained injuries while taking possession of the house.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:32 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I must admit that I find it offensive that people are comparing the rights and respect afforded to Australian citizens who die fighting for their country with those of non-citizens who die illegally forcing their presence here.

The whole situation is very bizarre: It's like the owner of a house agreeing to pay for a squatter's relatives to visit him in hospital because the squatter sustained injuries while taking possession of the house.
Good job you HAVE a visa eh
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:43 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Good job you HAVE a visa eh
Yes, it took many years of hard work to qualify for it. I conformed to the law and the skilled migrant visa application process. And now that I'm here I'm paying my way.

And your point is?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:38 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it took many years of hard work to qualify for it. I conformed to the law and the skilled migrant visa application process. And now that I'm here I'm paying my way.

And your point is?
All that hard work and effort to end up in Canberra

PS when have i EVER made a valent point on BE
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
All that hard work and effort to end up in Canberra

PS when have i EVER made a valent point on BE
I know, beginning to ask the same question

PS: Ummm.............................................. ....................

Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:42 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

And your point is?
Lucky for you that you were born in a low risk country, could afford an education and had the opportunity to work in an economy that allowed you to develop the skills required to get a visa.

Personally I cant remember filling in the pre-conception or in-utero questionaire that gave me the option on which country I would like to be born in??? I guess I got lucky too.

Out of interest, do you happen to have any electric items in your house that might have been made in south east asia? Do you drink brazillian coffee? Do you drink Sri Lankan Tea? Russian Vodka? Petrol? From Saudi Arabia? My guess is that you take full advantage of the global economy for personal material gain yet you draw borders for those people who make that material gain possible for you.

Pffffft!

As for the original question.......of course yes. I would rather my contribution to society be spent on helping someone less fortunate than myself regardless of where they are from - than funding the arms trade, or the drug war.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Polly, I didn't know myself where to look for the answer

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Lucky for you that you were born in a low risk country, could afford an education and had the opportunity to work in an economy that allowed you to develop the skills required to get a visa.
Personally I cant remember filling in the pre-conception or in-utero questionaire that gave me the option on which country I would like to be born in??? I guess I got lucky too.
Out of interest, do you happen to have any electric items in your house that might have been made in south east asia? Do you drink brazillian coffee? Do you drink Sri Lankan Tea? Russian Vodka? Petrol? From Saudi Arabia? My guess is that you take full advantage of the global economy for personal material gain yet you draw borders for those people who make that material gain possible for you.
Pffffft!
As for the original question.......of course yes. I would rather my contribution to society be spent on helping someone less fortunate than myself regardless of where they are from - than funding the arms trade, or the drug war.
Can I nominate your post for POST OF THE YEAR Ponyrama?

I wish I had written exactly the same thing.

We forget too easily that we are immensely lucky to have been born where we have. And before people jump me, I know that a lot of people in the UK, France, Australia and anywhere else in the developed world still struggle every day to survive. However, that does not mean we can forget those who are deprived of some of the most basic freedoms that we, in democratic societies, all take for granted.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Looks like page 30 answers the question - they do pay.

Case closed.
Within Australia only and only for parents or dependents. No mention of next of kin.

So, if your parents live in the UK you are stuffed.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ponyrama

Pffffft!

Are you in favour of economic migrants bypassing the visa process then?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:28 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

It is not illegal to seek asylum, even arriving by boat.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.