Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should a child own a mobile phone?

Should a child own a mobile phone?

Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Should a child own a mobile phone?

Originally Posted by steveandtina
My boys had there's at 10 only old pay as you go. Good idea as you can contact them as boys are like cats they like to wonder off and come home when they are hungry

Also you can get them to earn there credit by doing jobs round the house and cutting the grass that way they learn the value of money (if only it was that easy haha).

They can also contact you (or the police) if in trouble.

I think if you get cheap Pay as you go if they (heavens forbid) get mugged they can just hand it over without worrying.

Excellent Idea!! ha ha I like it!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Wait till hes 16 and tries to convince you your the only parent on the whole planet who doesnt let the girlfriend sleep over
My kids only get mobiles once they are riding home from school ( 6 klms ) safety, $9 plan and if they want to speak to friends TEXT them, or pay the rest of the bill.

Usually calms them down.

Girly sleepovers commence once your paying rent

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOO! I am dreading that time but I know it will come....this is what I mean about keeping them children for as long as possible!!

Last edited by scotty 71; Apr 14th 2008 at 3:44 pm. Reason: Missed a letter out!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Eldest stepkids got one at 10, but that was because they don't live with us & it was a good way for them to be able to keep in touch with their dad. Stepson who lives with us got one for his 10th because the eldest 2 had, therefore to be fair he had to. Its bloody useful if he's late back (timekeeping despite it being drummed into him isn't his strongest point, but he's improved since having the phone as its rather embarrassing for him to be called by his dad to be told to get home NOW )

They're only pay as you go's, no way in hell would they get a contract phone. They can have one of those when they pay the bill themselves!

It gives him a bit more freedom and feeling of independence, but TBH if his eldest brother & sister hadn't got one, he'd be waiting a couple more years, and its use is monitored - he just doesn't know it is.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:51 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has one & she is 11. She got a cheap payg one for her 10th birthday, so that we could contact her when she went to a friends house & we wanted her home or, if she wanted to stay for tea at her friends she could just text me to let me know.
She gives me 2 rings when she gets to her friends house (which is only up the road!) so it gives me peace of mind too.
She has had £10 credit on her phone for over 3 months now so she is quite sensible with it. She tops it up herself from her pocket money.
She doesn't take it to school as there is a 'no mobile' policy in school as she is still in primary but I wouldn't have a problem with her taking it to high school if she was having to get home by bus or walk. As long as she doesn't advertise the fact she has one i'm ok with her having it.