British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Which shipping companies to get to quote??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/shipping-companies-get-quote-647070/)

paulimouse Jan 2nd 2010 5:53 pm

Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
We are moving from London to Canberra in the next few months and I need to get shippnig quotes done soon. I have brochures from the following companies:

Anglo Pacific
PSS
John Masons
Crown
Allied Pickfords
Doree Bonner

Any advice on how many and which ones I should get in to quote would be greatly appreciated. We are looking a sole use of a 20ft container.

Thanks

Jen1977ni Jan 2nd 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 

Originally Posted by paulimouse (Post 8213165)
We are moving from London to Canberra in the next few months and I need to get shippnig quotes done soon. I have brochures from the following companies:

Anglo Pacific
PSS
John Masons
Crown
Allied Pickfords
Doree Bonner

Any advice on how many and which ones I should get in to quote would be greatly appreciated. We are looking a sole use of a 20ft container.

Thanks

We've got Pickfords coming on Tues and Wed, so I'll let u know once they've gone if I'd recommend them! :p

allandeb Jan 2nd 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
Hi
We used and can highly recommend John Masons, very competitive quote and excellent service from start to finish, my advice is to bring everything and sort it out when you get here as things are expensive.

AllanDeb

ozhappy981 Jan 3rd 2010 3:26 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
I would take Anglo Pacific, and Allied Pickfords off that list. I would get quotes from the remaining three.

In terms of reliability my views are (1) Crown, (2) Doree Bonner, (3) John Masons.

When you interview them for the quotes, make it clear that you want the written quote to take into account that you will live in Toowoomba (i.e. if there is an extra charge for this, you want that included in the quote).

Also make it clear that you want the quote to state who will deliver your stuff at the Oz end (then when you know which company that will be ask on BE whether they are any good). It *will* be a local company and not all Oz removal companies are the same ... ;)

paulimouse Jan 3rd 2010 7:54 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
Thanks very much for the useful tips - it seems as though those 3 are the names popping up all over the place.

Sally Simpson Jan 4th 2010 8:07 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
I would agree with Allandeb re John Masons. We used Letton Percival for insurance, would also recommend!

Good luck:fingerscrossed:

paulimouse Jan 4th 2010 8:09 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
Thanks very much!

Kingseat Jan 4th 2010 8:12 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
i wouldn't go with Anglo Pacific if I had my time again. I also used Letton Percival for insurance too.

paulimouse Jan 18th 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
Well we have had 4 quotes in now (Pickfords, Doree Bonner, John Mason and Crown) and they range from £4000-£4700 for a 20ft Surrey-Canberra. What does that price range sound like? I thought we would get away with under £4000.........

Jen - who did you end up going with?

James516 Jan 18th 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
I'd recommend Excess Baggage as well.

ronnie98 Jan 19th 2010 7:22 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
PSS were great, I even brought over my car

faye123 Jan 19th 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 8214119)
I would take Anglo Pacific, and Allied Pickfords off that list. I would get quotes from the remaining three.

In terms of reliability my views are (1) Crown, (2) Doree Bonner, (3) John Masons.

When you interview them for the quotes, make it clear that you want the written quote to take into account that you will live in Toowoomba (i.e. if there is an extra charge for this, you want that included in the quote).

Also make it clear that you want the quote to state who will deliver your stuff at the Oz end (then when you know which company that will be ask on BE whether they are any good). It *will* be a local company and not all Oz removal companies are the same ... ;)

Hi can I ask why you are taking off Anglo Pacific? Just looking at shipping companies at the moment - only had Anglo Pacific in at the moment and just sen your post so curious! Thanks!

miscellaneous Feb 28th 2010 11:41 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 

Originally Posted by faye123 (Post 8263628)
Hi can I ask why you are taking off Anglo Pacific? Just looking at shipping companies at the moment - only had Anglo Pacific in at the moment and just sen your post so curious! Thanks!

I have just had Robinsons International pack up a 20ft container last Monday/Tuesday, and am very happy with their quote to Melbourne, the prompt service, and also the 3 very nice and helpful packers.

chrissystevo Feb 28th 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 
Going by personal experience I would avoid Crown at all costs. We went with them for our move from the Midlands to Brisbane. Came and packed and collected our goods on 16 November 2009, didn't leave Liverpool until 31 December. Arrived in Sydney 26 February and god only knows when they will arrive in Brisbane. Added to this we have received very little information from them and I have been chasing them non stop since the beginning of January.

My advice, avoid Crown and if you do have a quote from them and Angus comes out to see you, take everything he says with a pinch of salt!

miscellaneous Mar 1st 2010 6:56 am

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???
 

Originally Posted by chrissystevo (Post 8382853)
Going by personal experience I would avoid Crown at all costs. We went with them for our move from the Midlands to Brisbane. Came and packed and collected our goods on 16 November 2009, didn't leave Liverpool until 31 December. Arrived in Sydney 26 February and god only knows when they will arrive in Brisbane. Added to this we have received very little information from them and I have been chasing them non stop since the beginning of January.

My advice, avoid Crown and if you do have a quote from them and Angus comes out to see you, take everything he says with a pinch of salt!

Just to add a time scale to my quote above this one, Robinsons already had my container booked to go on the 1st March (today) from Felixstowe, before they arrived to pack it up, and it should arrive approx 16th April.

Regards
Elaine


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:29 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.