British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Which shipping companies to get to quote??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/shipping-companies-get-quote-647070/)

myrtle1 Mar 1st 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Which shipping companies to get to quote???

Originally Posted by chrissystevo (Post 8382853)
Going by personal experience I would avoid Crown at all costs. We went with them for our move from the Midlands to Brisbane. Came and packed and collected our goods on 16 November 2009, didn't leave Liverpool until 31 December. Arrived in Sydney 26 February and god only knows when they will arrive in Brisbane. Added to this we have received very little information from them and I have been chasing them non stop since the beginning of January.

My advice, avoid Crown and if you do have a quote from them and Angus comes out to see you, take everything he says with a pinch of salt!

Aaaargh - this shipping lark is a scary business :ohmy:
I've chosen four companies to give me quotes and just when I think I've got a favourite, up pops a bad experience!
I suppose when I have made my final decision I will just have to go for it, but until then I'm just heading round in circles :confused:

Donna79 Mar 2nd 2010 6:34 am

We didn't bring any of our furniture over with us as it all old stuff so we didn't need a container. We did use Seven Seas to ship all our other stuff we were taking in boxes over, and I would recommend them. The whole process was really smooth, no problems at all, and they keep you regularly updated with the whole process. We got the insurance with them too. The prices were really reasonable - we had 4 tea chests and 2 book boxes and was only about 450 quid - not bad at all if you are only bringing over small items :thumbsup:

chrissystevo Mar 2nd 2010 6:39 am

I had a call last night from the Area Manager at Crown. Credit where it is due he apologised and agreed that we had received shoddy service. Was going to speak with the salesman who span us a line, offered to reimburse us for the furniture we have had to rent whilst we have been waiting for ours to arrive and asked what else they could offer us. Will wait until my stuff actually arrives in my house and then try and work something out with them.

myrtle1 Mar 2nd 2010 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Donna79 (Post 8386251)
We didn't bring any of our furniture over with us as it all old stuff so we didn't need a container. We did use Seven Seas to ship all our other stuff we were taking in boxes over, and I would recommend them. The whole process was really smooth, no problems at all, and they keep you regularly updated with the whole process. We got the insurance with them too. The prices were really reasonable - we had 4 tea chests and 2 book boxes and was only about 450 quid - not bad at all if you are only bringing over small items :thumbsup:

ooh that sounds really interesting - will have a search for them - thank you :thumbsup:

myrtle1 Mar 2nd 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Donna79 (Post 8386251)

Please excuse my 'dopey' question but did you still have to get them in for a quote or do you just tell them how many boxes you need? :confused:

iolande Mar 3rd 2010 3:58 am

We used Anglo Pacific and had a bit of a nightmare with them. They charged us and we paid in full and then several weeks later asked us for extra money. They explained they had undercharged us, but couldn't identify where or how, but as it was a human error we should pay the extra. We stood our ground and emailed the CEO and a nice (senior) chap came along and sorted it out and our stuff got here just inside the 3 month guarantee. We didn't pay any extra at the end of the day.

Despite this it was out stuff was all in good nick and their agents this end were really helpful and easy to talk to. Their delivery lads were very good too. There was one thing broken, but we got an insurance payout on that very quickly (less than 2 weeks from submitting the claim). We kind of expected something to break as we had about 30 boxes of things and they were going to get moved about. I would recommend the insurance.

So my advice is to get everything in writing and make sure you know what you are paying for otherwise it could all get a bit wrong.